• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HP Lightning/EVO or Ruff 281C???

While the Evo's have been around awhile and for the money still look decent on an NSX, they are a cast wheel and a tad on the heavy side. Plus they do require 5mm spacers on all 4 corners to clear calipers so theres another $150 bucks or so.

While the Evo's have been around awhile and for the money still look decent on an NSX, they are a cast wheel and a tad on the heavy side. Plus they do require 5mm spacers on all 4 corners to clear calipers so theres another $150 bucks or so.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This guy doesn't know what he is talking about, HP is not heavier than ruff wheels. And you dont need 4 spacers and it not because you need to clear the stock calipers. You only need 2front 5 mm spacer which is $10-15 total not $150 And its not to clear the caliper is so you can make full turns without rubbing. ALso many people have HP wheels on the nsx so you know the good and bad about them all is up front but with those ruff wheels you ll find out as you go as they don't make it speific for the nsx. I can get you a set of HP evos 18x8 and 19 x 9.5 with the spacers shipped to your house for $950. $25 for set of lug nuts with lock key.

As a matter of fact I had Evos and as a matter of fact it took four 5mm spacers on all "4" corners to keep them from touching the calipers. I used H&R that were $60 a pair since I don't like $10 spacers. I was not comparing weight to the Ruff wheels, I just commented they are a heavier cast wheel than most decent forged.:rolleyes:

Just read MvM's post on wheel weight test. Guess I'm not going to worry about weight anymore. Both weigh in the high 20's# range(I think) and I'm not racing anyways. Since I like the look of the Ruff's better than the HP's, that's the way I'm going unless someone has any concerns about Ruff's quality??? Anyone have experience with Ruff? Should I go 18/8.5" 18/9.5" or 18/8.5" 19/9.5".

Thanks for the advice.

HPs only need a 5mm spacer on the fronts....fyi

This whole idea of an extra couple of pounds on 4 wheels slowing you down has been beaten to death. The NSX is not a fast car to begin with, a little extra weight does nothing. If it is a major concern, just put a 100lb passenger in the car and let me know how much slower you are. If you are doing some sort of time trial or measuring down to the .001 then maybe buy lighter wheels. For the average guy on the street, you cant tell the difference. You have a pic of the Ruffs????

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And its not to clear the caliper is so you can make full turns without rubbing.

WRONG AGAIN

They ARE needed for caliper clearance.

How do I know? I sell them, I have them on my car. :tongue:

:biggrin:
Hey Tom I was right first before I went wrong lol atleast I got part of it right :tongue: thats more than guy before me who posted lol J/k

How come the rears dont need them to clear the calipers than? Just wondering. Thanks

I'm not calling anyone wrong but for some weird reason, when I tighened the rears the wheel was into both calipers. It would'nt budge and actually chipped the paint on the caliper. Mine is a 91 but still had to have em.:confused: Anyway I'm glad no one else had this problem.

100_1981.JPG

I think this looks much better than stock, and doesnt really bother me as far as performance

Doesn't the lift kit look drive you a little nuts as well as the fact that the car handles like shit after 19x18 setup. Hence having to lower car after, my choice was coil overs.

Funny you mention that. It definitely gets 100% more attention, and people that dont know much about NSXs (99%) of people think the car looks perfect as is. I will probably go with the .875 lower with just Bilsteins. The ride is a little different but I dont track the car, its my daily driver. Handling isnt an issue at all for me. What coilovers do you have, can I see a pic of it lowered?

Funny you mention that. It definitely gets 100% more attention, and people that dont know much about NSXs (99%) of people think the car looks perfect as is.

I was in the same boat you were. Everyone else thought that car looked fine hovering high above the wheels like it did. Then I lowered it, and boy did that change fast. It looked ALOT better lowered, even if it is only less than 1".

Back