• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HP Performance's Turbo Kit for 91 NSX

The AEM came in last week and HP got my car up and running again today. They have only done a street tune. No dyno yet. I got to drive it home tonight. WOW, what an improvement. Its pushing 9lbs of boost right now and I think they said 13 degrees of timing. I should have dyno numbers before too long.
Sorry, I haven't gotten around to the pictures yet.

I forgot to add, the car sounds good when you are just driving, but kinda mellow. When you lay into it, it screams. It sounds really mean. Second gear up to 8000 rpm lays you back in the seat like you wouldn't believe and that's with the heavy 19" TSW wheels in the back. It keeps pulling all the way to redline.

The AEM came in last week and HP got my car up and running again today. They have only done a street tune. No dyno yet. I got to drive it home tonight. WOW, what an improvement. Its pushing 9lbs of boost right now and I think they said 13 degrees of timing. I should have dyno numbers before too long.
Congratulations!!

I believe you, boost is boost, no joke, especially with turbo. You must be making amazing #s with 9lb of boost. I am guessing 400~430rwhp, must be insanely fun to drive.

ccathey,

Are you on the stock motor? Stock headgasket? How many miles are currently on your NSX?

Now hurry up and get that thing on the dyno, and post up the graphs, especially the AF!

Congrats,
Nathan

It is the stock motor and stock head gasket. I'm a little scared to push her too hard because there are 129,000 miles on the car. But then again, if I do blow it that would justify building a stronger motor.
I think the car has a stock clutch that will need to be upgraded very soon, but it's holding the power very well right now. Any suggestions on clutches would be appreciated.
I hope the pics work well, this is my first time to post pics on the forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 408
It is the stock motor and stock head gasket. I'm a little scared to push her too hard because there are 129,000 miles on the car. But then again, if I do blow it that would justify building a stronger motor.
I think the car has a stock clutch that will need to be upgraded very soon, but it's holding the power very well right now. Any suggestions on clutches would be appreciated.

:eek:

It looks very nice, although it doesn't look like I will be able to fit the ARC airbox :(

Where is the intake located? Also, as soon as you get it on a dyno I am very interested in the graph.

As far as clutches are concerned... I am leaning towards the RPS clutch once my stock one goes out... the feedback on the RPS clutch has been mostly positive, eg stock-feel, etc.

It looks very nice, although it doesn't look like I will be able to fit the ARC airbox :(

Where is the intake located? Also, as soon as you get it on a dyno I am very interested in the graph.

As far as clutches are concerned... I am leaning towards the RPS clutch once my stock one goes out... the feedback on the RPS clutch has been mostly positive, eg stock-feel, etc.

There will be no turbo kit for the NSX that would accomidate a ARC airbox in a stockish location.

Thanks for the pics! I'll keep off tracking you down for the time being. ;)

What turbo did you end up going with in this package?

Very intrested to hear some numbers! The piping looks like it fits quite well and all the bends and welds look top notch.

Wow very interesting. It seems they place the turbo to the driver side kinda back a little from being just right over the tranny. Great location, and it looks like its high enough for a gravity feed.

Do they have any hangers or anything that kinda bolt the turbo and all that piping to the frame some where so it doesn't all become a giant harmonic resignator and start to slowly break all the welds? I am sure they do just currious.

J. R.

Time for an update.
I have now had some time to experience the new turbo. I did upgrade to the gt35r ball bearing turbo. I am running about 8.5 lbs of boost and it seems to hit full boost by 3500 rpm. I can't say enough about how fast this car feels now. I let my dad drive it the other day and when he got back in his 350z he was dissappointed at how slow his car feels now. I am expecting the car to trap right at 120 mph in the 1/4 mile on this boost setting. Hopefully I will get to run it within a few weeks.
I also got a AEM uego air/fuel gauge and the AEM tru boost gauge. I really like them. The truboost is also a boost controller. I would recommend adding them to the kit.
Craig

Our demo kit is scheduled to be shipped later this week according to HP, installation will have to wait until after the 16th, as the car is setup to be corner balanced at West End, but, based on your description Craig, it sounds like the drive will be fun once the kit as been installed...

More waiting ;-(

RPS does not feel like stock at all, its night and day difference in pedal pressure. I tried one recently, owner let me take his car for a spin, at the Orlando NSX S2000 Universal City walk meet because I was thinking about getting this as well in case I decide to boost my car, also in hopes it last longer than OEM.

In any case its manageable but could see it being a pain in stop and go traffic. Of course this was the first and only time I drove one with the RPS clutch and with time I may get used to it, but I would definitely not say it has the stock feel. Also the pedal travel was a lot less which seemed weird going from OEM to this but I suppose in time I would get used to that too. It had me thinking that maybe I should look into the SOS clutch as another option.

I was pretty impressed w/ the SPEC clutch. With their own lightened flywheel setup it feels very much damn near stock. But it does grab more. Earlier issues w/ the setup was due to them outsourcing to Fidanza flywheels which did not work well w/ the SPEC clutches. Single disc to be exact. I'm pretty happy w/ mine. Only thing which was issue when using the setup was that you can't use the tranny shield as it rubs making a grinding noise. take off is the only solution there...

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere but it that a portion of the header going UNDER the right rear control arm? Any issues with it now being the lowest part of the car? I too am very interested in one of these systems. Please keep the info coming.

Thanks

My car is filthy since it has been raining here, but here is a picture of the ground clearance. I have less than 400 miles on it, but it doesn't seem like it would ever be a problem. As you can see, the front tube hangs a little lower than the rear, but not much below the rest of the car. Hope the picture helps, but it was dark when I took it.

Attachments

• nsxclearance.jpg
    nsxclearance.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 317
My bad. After looking at your pics again, the exhaust def does not go under the control arm. I guess the piece I'm looking at is part of the frame and hopefully someone much smarter than me will enlighten me with it's name. Thanks for the extra pics and info!

Looks like I might be jumping on the FI wagon at the end of this school semester. How long does it take to complete an installation and dyno/tuning?

Very Nice thanks for sharing....congrats on the kit...:smile:

Somebody really needs to dyno one of these things !
If it were mine that would have been the first thing I did,just to be sure it is "SAFE" as well as know what kind of power it is making !
If you can spend this much on FI then you can definately afford a few dollars for precise tuning.
Omar,ccathey or John I hope to see one of your dyno plots soon !!!

Stacy

I'm really pumped now. I went with the HP guys to the track today and I ran the car. I was datalogging my runs and Jimmy was checking it out to make sure it was safe and making small changes along the way.
Street tires on my heavy 18/19 TSW wheels and still the stock clutch. The first run the computer was only showing 6.6 psi and I ran 12.2262 @ 126.73.
The next run was 12.1210 @124.68. By the end of the day we went to 8.6 psi and I ran 12.0492@ 130.83mph. I can't believe the mph at the end. Should be well into the 11's when I get a clutch and some sticky tires on there. They want to dyno the car hopefully on monday. What a rush! It's been more than six hours since I got out of the car and I'm still jittery from the adrenalin.
More to come soon.

Back