• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HRE's banned at the track

Interesting... i would think that they stand up to their reputation. You spend top dollar for these rims, and they end up failing. Are VOLKS also banned?

That sucks about HRE. I had heard they were more show than go. On the other hand, I had heard VOLKS were more GO with lots of show. I can't see them getting banned??

I've been to a few wheel shops... many people with TE37's size around 19's getting messed up beyond repair. I heard that the TE37 was originally designed for the AE86 and cars with 15' inch. Something about it being 37 lbs total... that's how it's name came out.. Don't quote me on this story though.

The wheels are Kenesis, but still scary

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=322919#post322919

attachment.php

Armando

I can't think of a worse thing to happen to a driver on track...or a wheel company for that matter, than to have your wheel fail. I had a outside rear tire let go in an 85+mph corner and came very close to flipping. The Volk had some small bends at the lip but after professional straightening came out better than new. Gotta respect Volk.

Good thing I never even looked at HRE. I suspect Fikse and CCW will be getting a lot more business with HRE being banned. And if Volk ever fix their supply issues, they'd be getting business too.

I like this quote:

"Wheels America will fix that for $99."

:biggrin:

I've heard of people bending their HREs on potholes pretty easily. Sucks that you spend that much money and get a product that doesn't hold up. Hopefully they are good about replacing/fixing wheels at their own expense.

My wife hit a rather large pothole on Monday and broke one of her rims in half, bent another and set off the side curtain airbags in our BMW. The rims are Manarays
4291DSCN0717-med.JPG
thankfully she was not hurt, but the bimmer will be out of commision for a couple of weeks :frown:

SLIPPINnSLIDING said:
I've been to a few wheel shops... many people with TE37's size around 19's getting messed up beyond repair. I heard that the TE37 was originally designed for the AE86 and cars with 15' inch. Something about it being 37 lbs total... that's how it's name came out.. Don't quote me on this story though.

Interesting Story, but I don't think 86 is the first car featuring TE37. Don't forget TE37 earned its heritage and "street cred." through racing. It's been on numerous different race cars, from 1.6 engine class to JGTC...

BladesNSX had both of his rear HRE's replaced because every spoke was cracked.

I heard a story a short while ago, that rims made in the USA do not have to meet any type of DOT (or some governing agency) standards, and that rims made in Japan, have to meet strict structural/impact standards before being sold. I don't know if this is true or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is in fact the case.

I have owned both Fikse and Volk rims, and they are two very well made products. In fact, I hit a 1.5" asphalt transition on I-75, at about 80 mph with 225/35 front tires and my Volk wheels are doing just fine. My car felt like it came off the ground when I nailed it. I was afraid to pull over for fear of 2 folded front rims. I was so happy to see two round shiny rims when I got out to inspect. This would not be the case with all rims and that is a fact.

I hope they get their shit together before someone we know get hurts do to rim failure.

This story is spreading like wildfire on the auto forums. HRE needs to clean this up and answer some questions.

I never did see HRE as a "Racing" wheel but as a high quality aftermarket wheel. I think racing, I think, BBS, O.Z. Rays, SSR.....

HRE = Too much Bling, not enough Zing?

Good thing I never bought em when I also found out how heavy the ones I wanted were. 17in Volk TE-37's woot, so far so good!! And still cheaper than the HRE's I looked at.

SNDSOUL that's the second case of side airbag deployment from hitting a pothole that I've heard this week. I can't see the point of side air bags.
If you are getting a invasive side impact and are being held in place by the seat belts a air bag won't help. On a roll over they would have to deploy right at the perfect millisecond to save your noggin from hitting the ground and they are not that well controlled. Can any of you engineers explain to me what type of impact they are really meant to work on that they would have any meaningful effect? What am I not seeing? Flying glass protection?

Side airbags protect the head in a T Bone collision. The body is held in place by the seat and belt, but without the side airbag the neck is allowed to hyper extend and the head can hit the glass / door frame / bumper of the oncoming vehicle. The airbag works a bit like a halo on a racing seat.

That said I'm no fan of modern cars with their dozens of airbags.

Guy , just FYI the guy in the Audi forum is a nobody and has no evidence of this . No one credible person has stood out to say anything credible on this subject just some no name guy on an Audi forum .. The only pictures aren't even of hre wheels . HRE is not banned from any events at least not as of yet . This is all made up info until proven and till this day absolutely nothing has been proven. This is all a big show for what reason I don't know but. What I know 1st hand is hre wheels have not been banned if they have hre doesn't know about it either nor do they know about all these wheels so called failing no one has brought it to there attention . I would , I would want my money back and damages which no one has claimed either . I think people got mistaken with kenises wheels and hre is taking the blunt of it these are facts !!

As an NSX owner and NSX Prime member, I do not normally post because I am the VP of Operations/Engineering at HRE, but if anyone has any questions or concerns about this matter, please contact me directly at 760-598-1960 or send your contact info to me at [email protected] and I will contact you personally.

Sincerely,

Alan

i haven't had any problems with my HRE'S.I love mine :biggrin: The only thing i heard was that on someones rims the rivets broke loose and messed up the rim,but the guy talked to HRE and they gave him a new rim,now thats service.

19X9
20X12.5

apeltier said:
As an NSX owner and NSX Prime member, I do not normally post because I am the VP of Operations/Engineering at HRE, but if anyone has any questions or concerns about this matter, please contact me directly at 760-598-1960 or send your contact info to me at [email protected] and I will contact you personally.

Sincerely,

Alan
alan,

thanks very much for the post, i'm sure everyone appreciates you standing up like this. i'm wondering, does your company have a public statement on the subject?

thx,
hal
(not an hre owner, btw)

SLIPPINnSLIDING said:
Interesting... i would think that they stand up to their reputation. You spend top dollar for these rims, and they end up failing. Are VOLKS also banned?

Volks are VERY tough wheels. I have some TE-37's on my Integra GSR and they have taken some serious highway/pothole hits and have never so much as bent. They are probably some of the best wheels I have ever owned....oh yeah, and they look cool too. :D

SSR's are pretty strong too. After almost a year and a half some NJ/NYC driving I finally managed to end one of my front rims- SSR GT3's (18/19).

I consider myself lucky to have driven in NJ winters and not bend all 4 of them :biggrin:

TE-37's are very strong. We have tracked the crap out of a set, and read high 4xx's Fahrenheit with no issues. And on another drifting occasion hit a curb head on, with luckily no issues. BTW, these were 18's on a 300zxtt.

On another note, I hope the Kinesis in the pic. above are not prone to that kind of damage:(. I recently bought them and can't wait to beat on them:). We will see.

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
SSR's are pretty strong too. After almost a year and a half some NJ/NYC driving I finally managed to end one of my front rims- SSR GT3's (18/19).

I consider myself lucky to have driven in NJ winters and not bend all 4 of them :biggrin:
SSR rims are indeed pretty strong. Still, I managed to bend my front GT3 to the verge of a blow out. In the rims defence, I did hit the pot hole at 60 MPH in a tunnel so I didn't see the hole and I had no chancew to slow down.

A while back, I was cruising down the highway at night when all the sudden a cv joint/boot appeared out of no where. I nailed it going 70 mph. It was like running over a 2x4, except metal. But nothing was damaged(thank god) besides my back tire which blew out.

This is with iForged 18/19's with super low profile tires. I'm really impressed with how strong they are. Houston has some really crappy streets. I've hit my share of potholes and what not. And these wheels really take a beating and don't give up. At least not yet... :)

Regards,
- Z

Back