• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HSC=Next NSX?

Sig said:
I think if this were to come true it would be a huge letdown. First off, every person that purchased a new or relatively NSX in the the previous couple of years will be smacked in the face with a huge depreciation hit.

I think its the other way around. Im assuming that this new car will not be aluminum, although a highly regarded car in this forum it might not even hold its value like the NSX. once the nsx is replaced i think thats when the price of the nsx really go up in value.

:D that means good investment for me

bar's already been raised

Sig said:
Toyota may be one of the contributing factors to Honda's reluctance to reveal engine specs or targeted performance numbers. By keeping this under wraps, Toyota or other competitors do not have a definitive bar to measure their efforts against.
I would suggest that a (high) bar has already been set over the past few months/years:
- Ferrari 360 Modena
- Lamborghini Gallardo
- Ford GT
- Porsche 911 GT3

Hopefully the new Honda offering, whatever they choose to call it :) -- will compare favorably against these four. I suspect its not going to be in the "bench racing" category (raw #s) that Honda/Acura will make its mark.

More info please.....real info

So at over 10+ pages of reply and opinion we don't know if this is the gen2 nsx or a in-between model until a real nsx shows up somewhere. :confused:

Can someone from AH step up to the plate here and call it what it is!

In its current state "HSC" I'm not buying even though I'm #1 on waiting list here locally!!!

Zanardi 50 said:
Somewhere south of $50k, according to *Mr. Acura Sales Rep* I've spoke to 7 mos. ago. Yes I now consider him a reliable source - everything he'd said back then about the upcoming MR V6 350HP Acura sports car with a round Ferrari-esque tail lights is true.

This is not what I've been "hearing". The NSX replacement due in fall 2005 as a 2006 model (V10, shifter pads,...) is not going to be that under $50K car you are being told. To my understanding there are 3 cars to be released by 2006-2007. One which will be the NSX replacement (probably priced around similar current prices), one be the S2000 replacement and one 4-passenger which will be in between. The under $50K is that later one which I have no details on it. Think about the new Honda line-up as S2000=Miata, RX8=New Model, New RX7=New NSX. All the Mazda models are of course cheaper than their respective ones from Honda, but you get the analogy...;)

Last edited:
Several things lead me to believe that the new model will at least be as much ($) as the existing NSX.

Carbon fiber and lighter weight will drive the price up. Honda may do their best to keep it close to the existing car.

A more important issue is that all companies are introducing supper cars to develop interest in their capabilities. Thus Porsche, Ford, F Enzo, ect. They do not expect to sell great numbers or even turn a profit on these cars. The expectation is that the extra interest will sell the rest of their line. (Lost leader).

If this is in fact the case, we should see the next Gen. NSX capable of matching most of the other supper cars available at the time.

Lets all hope I am correct. :) :) :)

Sloopy said:
Several things lead me to believe that the new model will at least be as much ($) as the existing NSX.

Carbon fiber and lighter weight will drive the price up. Honda may do their best to keep it close to the existing car.

A more important issue is that all companies are introducing supper cars to develop interest in their capabilities. Thus Porsche, Ford, F Enzo, ect. They do not expect to sell great numbers or even turn a profit on these cars. The expectation is that the extra interest will sell the rest of their line. (Lost leader).

If this is in fact the case, we should see the next Gen. NSX capable of matching most of the other supper cars available at the time.

Lets all hope I am correct. :) :) :)

Are these cars you can only drive to dinner? (Supper cars)?
Also, who lost their leader? I thought it was loss leader!:D :D
Just messing with ya Sloppy, I mean Sloopy!

I sure hope Lud has lots of bandwidth here, because if and until our most secretive Honda decides to release/renew or not release/renew (sounds like syntax commands
233.gif
) these replacement models, this thread will become 100+ pages of nothing but speculations.

Until then, I'll continue to enjoy my '91 to the fullest. Ciao...
285.gif

For whatever it's worth:

This is from someone who attended NSX Fiesta in Japan a few weeks ago and forwarded what Mr. Uehara said about the HSC.

-----------------------------------

Last weekend we met Mr. Uehara, Project Leader of NSX development team of Honda, at the NSX Fiesta. He said "The HSC in Motor Show has just a meaning of publicity that Honda do keeps on developing super sports cars like NSX." He also said "If such a improvised car is new NSX, you will never be satisfied, won't you? HSC can never be a new NSX, of course." and laughed. The car is not a new NSX.

Ben said:
For whatever it's worth:

This is from someone who attended NSX Fiesta in Japan a few weeks ago and forwarded what Mr. Uehara said about the HSC.

-----------------------------------

Last weekend we met Mr. Uehara, Project Leader of NSX development team of Honda, at the NSX Fiesta. He said "The HSC in Motor Show has just a meaning of publicity that Honda do keeps on developing super sports cars like NSX." He also said "If such a improvised car is new NSX, you will never be satisfied, won't you? HSC can never be a new NSX, of course." and laughed. The car is not a new NSX.

Hinting that the new NSX would be better than the HSC... at least in Mr. Uehara's eyes... :D

pok8rok8 said:
Does anyone know how much this ford GT will be?

I'm too lazy to search it out right now, but IIRC, around $135k. I am fairly confident that it is more than $125k and no more than $150k.

To disparage a Ford GT based on experiences with their bread and butter machines may be a mistake. I expect it is as much an 'average Ford' as an Aston Martin Vanquish is. Besides, how many times have we heard the insult, why pay $90k for a Honda. Not a perfect comparison, but it has some merit.

brahtw8 said:
I'm too lazy to search it out right now, but IIRC, around $135k. I am fairly confident that it is more than $125k and no more than $150k.

To disparage a Ford GT based on experiences with their bread and butter machines may be a mistake. I expect it is as much an 'average Ford' as an Aston Martin Vanquish is. Besides, how many times have we heard the insult, why pay $90k for a Honda. Not a perfect comparison, but it has some merit.

It is not a worthy comparison at all IMO. Please elaborate. I have an old '91 Integra at 200K miles that is still running like a champ. I sold my not so old Ford F-150 to help buy her.

I see it as such. The "bread and butter" Honda's are of such high quality that one might logically expect such quality to be equal, and more than likely, greater in a top grade car from the same manufacturer.

I personally have a very low opinion of Ford (most American manufacturers for that matter) and have dealt with fords very often. In fact, I drive one for my profession. Know where it is now?

In the shop......yet again.

BladesNSX said:
It is not a worthy comparison at all IMO. Please elaborate. I have an old '91 Integra at 200K miles that is still running like a champ. I sold my not so old Ford F-150 to help buy her.

I see it as such. The "bread and butter" Honda's are of such high quality that one might logically expect such quality to be equal, and more than likely, greater in a top grade car from the same manufacturer.

I personally have a very low opinion of Ford (most American manufacturers for that matter) and have dealt with fords very often. In fact, I drive one for my profession. Know where it is now?

In the shop......yet again.

We do not disagree.

Certainly, the quality of the average Honda is a distinguishing feature of the comparison. However, in terms of the prestige issue for a $90k or $150k car, I see some parallels between Ford and Honda.

Don't get me wrong, I love my expensive Honda and don't feel like it lacks anything in the prestige department, but I am speaking of the perception of the general public, which does exist whenever a manufacturer tries to change its market. Witness the fear of backlash against BMW for the 1 and 2 series, or the difficulty VW expects in marketing the Phaeton.

apapada said:
do you really care ? after all, it's a FORD ! :rolleyes:

I just wanted to know, so that we can all see how relative the pricing is. It might not stand up to par with the quality and reliability that honda builds into their cars but is is a sports car made by Ford so im sure they have done their research on the reliability department if they are goin to sell it for 6 digit price bracket.

And who knows..there are alot of american made car patriots out there and regardless if their car is burnt to the ground they will still see it as superior to the hondas.

Mr Uehara comments leads me to think that the HSC will be cheaper than NSX. There is a market segment here, to compete with Boxster and Corvette.

In addition, his comment about not being satisfied if HSC is new NSX indicates we'll see something more substantial with new NSX. Different engine configuration, construction material, styling, and performance.

HSC is an evolutionary design of the NSX. To make the HSC more mainstream and cheaper, Honda may selectively use cheaper components as carry over parts from current NSX. You won't see titanium rods here. And make the production process more streamlined, rather than cell based construction. Aluminum construction is unlikey due to the amount of manual re-work required to even out surface irregularities from welding.

I would guess the "trunk" is in the front and please get rid of the iDrive switch concept. Enthusiast need no-nonsense controls and rather not navigate a menu. Current NSX controls are setup very well and very intutive. Don't change it just because the Japanese consumers desire high tech gizmos when it really adds no value. The Instrument panel is missing the oil pressure gauge. This is a must since it tells you when the oil is warmed up to properly exercise the engine. And also if you ever start to run dry on oil on a high banked track in Michigan.

Those who knows the legendary GT40 would'nt even question it, regardless of the manufacturer. :rolleyes:

Please dont confuse the FORD GT to a FORD Focus :rolleyes:

The FORD GT is my envision of the future NSX.

MR supercharged V8, racing heritage etc......

now back to the topic ;)

It looks like the HSC is just going to be an in between market segment car and priced appropriately.

$125-$135k for a Ford GT? Not quite. Base price is rumored to be close to $150k, however, not all dealerships are going to get one. If you think about it, there are thousands of dealerships, some owners of said dealerships are thinking of buying the car they get. The dealerships are going to get them based on a RAFFLE folks, so there could be one in a backwater and none for the biggest dealership which is here in So Cal.

The first one earned over $550k at auction, there's some wicked interest in this car from exotic circles. And because of said demand, an easy car to "flip" if not for profit. Prices will start at $150k and go up from there based on said demand. Someone on F-chat has a MKIV and has been approached by two dozen people for help to try and get one. Its stirred the pot for just a Ford!

I'd take my only a Ford GT over most anything Ferrari and Lambo, over an NSX or anything domestic, and I'm not a Ford/domestic kind of guy but a european/import car enthusiast! The car is the one to beat. I'd rather have a MKIII though.

Sunny

JaguarXJ6 said:
It looks like the HSC is just going to be an in between market segment car and priced appropriately.

$125-$135k for a Ford GT? Not quite. Base price is rumored to be close to $150k, however, not all dealerships are going to get one. If you think about it, there are thousands of dealerships, some owners of said dealerships are thinking of buying the car they get. The dealerships are going to get them based on a RAFFLE folks, so there could be one in a backwater and none for the biggest dealership which is here in So Cal.

The first one earned over $550k at auction, there's some wicked interest in this car from exotic circles. And because of said demand, an easy car to "flip" if not for profit. Prices will start at $150k and go up from there based on said demand. Someone on F-chat has a MKIV and has been approached by two dozen people for help to try and get one. Its stirred the pot for just a Ford!

I'd take my only a Ford GT over most anything Ferrari and Lambo, over an NSX or anything domestic, and I'm not a Ford/domestic kind of guy but a european/import car enthusiast! The car is the one to beat. I'd rather have a MKIII though.

Sunny

I said $125-150k, with a $135k estimate, (not $125-135k as you state) because I was too lazy to go to autoweek.com or a multitude of other sources to track it down. I think I placed an appropriate qualification on the statement.

Most enthusiasts (including myself) are aware of the auction sale and that demand will cause actual GT prices to be far higher for as long as demand remains high, but thanks for the 'education'. ;)

Back