• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HSC=Next NSX?

Wow, i was so excited last week, but the more i look at the pics from the Tokyo Autoshow the more i DONT like it.:confused:

Well, I still like it. Still hope it happens. Maybe lose the chromies though. I'm thinking a slightly smaller (18 or 19 rear, 17 or 18 front) '02 style wheel would look a lot better.

More pics of it.
gw1_dscn00040004.jpg

gw1_dscn00090009.jpg

gw1_dscn00100010.jpg

gw1_dscn00120012.jpg

I like Ojas work, it keeps the lineage of old with the radical update of the new

I for one hope it's true that Honda actually garners feedback from these forums and follows the consensus that the rear-end still needs a lot of work. It just seems way too confusing and cluttered. Not clean at all. Not in the spirit of the original as well, or is that a bad thing?

To reiterate, these are conceptual models and not actual; hence the "no trunk" tailwork enigma. The concept TL had no side view mirrors and windshield wipers remember? Also funny how the new TL has those nice brembo brakes and the NSX flagship does not. I am sure Honda is bustling for changes left and right. I just got their annual report today being a stock holder.

Tan

It looks great to me considering the stage of development.

I would bet the basic shape was set in wind tunnel so this probably shouldn't change much. They don't have side markers done, so I am sure the lights will have to change anyway. As for the exit of the exhaust, this may be fixed do to air flow from under the car or air exiting the rear that comes from tunnels from the front.

We will see in the end, but I will trust and hope that Honda keeps the best shape for performance and doesn't change the important stuff for styling. :) :) :)

just watched a special report on japanese tv last night about the tokyo motor show. Not one pic of the hsc.

The whole focus was the next generation of cars powered by fuel cells. Most companies want them affordable and on the roads by 2010. To do this many companies (if not all) are joining forces (and budgets) to be able to accomplish this task. Enjoy your cars while you can fella's.

The door handle looks like its at the top corner of the window.
Look at the sloted black part.

Doh! two replys at once. :D

It still has the raised frog eye lights. i was hoping they would be flat.

Looks like the Acura sales rep I've spoke to back in March of this year wasn't B.S. ing......

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7171&perpage=50&pagenumber=2

Taken from my own post, dated 3-21-03:

It may well be a possibility, as I've talked to one of the local sales rep about Acura's new sports car, due in 2 years. According to this guy, his boss just returned from an Acura dealer's meeting in Japan. The purpose of their meeting? To see, and vote into production, the new Honda/Acura exotic sports car prototype (sic. or concept as we now know) that will take the place of the NSX. This car will be a $50,000 mid-engined coupe, smaller and lighter than the NSX but bigger than the first gen MR2, and have a NA motor that puts out minimum of 350 horses. It will be hand-built but no info was disclosed as to what type of material will be used for the chasis/body panel construction. As far as styling goes, the sales guy said the boss told him the tail lights assy' will resemble that of a modern Ferrari (ie. round).

So how reliable is this source? Well, only time will tell. If such is true, then the current NSX will certainly become an instant classic.

Hmm..... round tail lite assy'..... Make NO MISTAKE about it!! The car he was describing has to be the HSC concept!!!! (Thanks for sharing the secret , Mr. Acura sales rep ! Don't worry, I won't reveal your name ;) )

Last edited:
To all who wants/miss Brembos at the NSX: The name itself makes not a better brake, there are also many bad Brembos on the market - latest example: The Saleen S7 road version.

I have Brembos too but they were manufactured tightly to a plan from a german sportscar company.

The design of the engine glass hatch and vent holes looks like an after-thought. It doesn't integrate well with the shape / lines around it.

Besides, if Honda wanted to copy Ferrari and show case the engine, don't put a small window to show only the intake manifold cover, showcase the entire engine. Unless, the engine wasn't pretty enough to show, in which case, get rid of the glass and cover it up.

If such is the case, it will not be called NSX. Would all the people who don't like the HSC be more happy?

Zanardi 50 said:
Looks like the Acura sales rep I've spoke to back in March of this year wasn't B.S. ing......

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7171&perpage=50&pagenumber=2

Taken from my own post, dated 3-21-03:

It may well be a possibility, as I've talked to one of the local sales rep about Acura's new sports car, due in 2 years. According to this guy, his boss just returned from an Acura dealer's meeting in Japan. The purpose of their meeting? To see, and vote into production, the new Honda/Acura exotic sports car prototype (sic. or concept as we now know) that will take the place of the NSX. This car will be a $50,000 mid-engined coupe, smaller and lighter than the NSX but bigger than the first gen MR2, and have a NA motor that puts out minimum of 350 horses. It will be hand-built but no info was disclosed as to what type of material will be used for the chasis/body panel construction. As far as styling goes, the sales guy said the boss told him the tail lights assy' will resemble that of a modern Ferrari (ie. round).

So how reliable is this source? Well, only time will tell. If such is true, then the current NSX will certainly become an instant classic.

Hmm..... round tail lite assy'..... Make NO MISTAKE about it!! The car he was describing has to be the HSC concept!!!! (Thanks for sharing the secret , Mr. Acura sales rep ! Don't worry, I won't reveal your name ;) )

NSX-Racer said:
To all who wants/miss Brembos at the NSX: The name itself makes not a better brake, there are also many bad Brembos on the market - latest example: The Saleen S7 road version.

I have Brembos too but they were manufactured tightly to a plan from a german sportscar company.

As I posted above, the new Acura TL 6-spd is apparently going to come with the Brembo Grand Tourismo kit currently sold for the 1st Gen. NSX, based on the part # listed by Acura.

If that is the case, we should expect similar or better brakes for the NSX, and likely Brembos. I haven't heard anything negative about the GT kit, and I would hope it is equal or better than what Porsche uses as you reference above.

From Honda's official site

http://world.honda.com/factbook/auto/motorshow/200310/05.html - posted yesterday. There's nothing really new, but it is on Honda's site. The more it read and think about the HSC, the less it seems less likely to be a successor to the NSX. No doubt, I like the looks, it has some NSX cues, and the concept has some great technology, but it certainly does not appear to be "revolutionary" like the NSX was. This and other releases have phrases like "anyone can handle", "pure sports car", and so on, but nothing like "raising the bar for performance cars", "pushing the performance envelope", etc. ... sounds more like a description of a something like S2000/Elise/C5 than a Ferrari. Also, nothing from Honda (as far as I know), mention HSC and NSX together in the same sentance.

Perhaps... (speculation-mode on)
  • HSC be could an additional model to the Honda line-up and not an NSX replacement. It could have production of around 5000 units per year and would cost less than the the current NSX. Maybe closer to S2000 prices than NSX prices.
  • The NSX would continue for a few years, while Honda is working on a major redesign with increased performance (including power) to compete with F360 successor, 911TT, C6, etc. Price would be at least that of current model and when released would once again be a technology showcase for Honda.
Just a guess. Isn't this fun? :)

from http://world.honda.com/factbook/auto/motorshow/200310/05.html
A new-age, high-performance, mid-engine sports car that anyone can drive
The HSC was created to deliver the joy of a sports car and the thrill of free-spirited driving in a package that anyone can handle. It combines the ultimate in vehicle performance with carefree handling accessible to all. The HSC is a pure sports car, offering driving exhilaration that until now only a professional could experience. The long wheelbase and short overhangs help maximize performance. Located mid-ship for better handling, the lightweight, compact V6 engine is designed for high efficiency and delivers output in excess of 300* horsepower. A paddle-shift shift lever makes for instant gear changing. The HSC delivers liberating technology in a machine accommodating enough for any driver. It all started with the S500, Honda's first automobile, a two-seat sports car,and the HSC is the latest inheritor of the Honda sports DNA.The HSC—a pure sports car for a new age.
*Based on Honda in-house calculations

A captivating design to match the exciting performance
Optimally designed to make the most of the vehicle's high performance, the body is inviting and sensuous, with curves you want to look at and touch. The upper body is shaped to appeal to the emotions, while the lower body features sharp lines that reflect the power within.

A sporty, new-look interior that puts you in the mood to drive
The instrument panel is designed on a skeletal motif, for a light yet strong look. The cockpit design is elaborate, ranging from black and blue carbon to colored aluminum, crystal aluminum, and nubuck leather—just what you'd expect in an intelligently conceived sports car.

Layered meters help the driver focus on the driving
Meters are superimposed to offer two sets of information in one location. This reduces the adjustment in focal distance that the driver needs to make between the meters and the world outside, for faster decision making.

Combined dial and paddle shifters for outstanding operability
Along with an easy-to-operate dial shifter, the HSC comes equipped with a paddle shifter, for the ultimate in sporty driving enjoyment.

Highly visible 3D rear combination lights and a rear-view CCD camera
High-illumination LEDs are incorporated into the rear combination lights to form a visibility-enhancing 3D design. The LEDs' superior lighting response provides information more quickly to drivers in vehicles approaching from behind. Meanwhile, the CCD rear-view camera provides the driver with a more precise view to the rear.

EDIT: Fixed links

Last edited:
My two cents worth;

It shouldn't be called the HSC. Why? Because then it would be the Honda Honda Sports Concept. So it should be the Honda SC.

Also anyone in Australia when told you have a HSC, will reply, they have been to school too. (Aussies will get that one).

I use my wing mirrors as a guide when I put my NSX in the garage to get the car close to the wall. How will I do this with the little wing cameras, or whatever they are? Do I use the front wing (fender), and stop when I hear scraping?

And imagine the stone chips you'll get on that front centre bit.

I'll still have one, please take my comments as tongue in cheek:)

Last edited:
The link doesn't work anymore...

I doubt the hsc w/ the specs of 300+hp and paddle shift etc. will be a replacement for the s2000 since the hsc should cost significantly more than 30k.

Since honda/acura has not retained names for older models, i.e. integra, legend, slx, it would seem that they will also retire the nsx name. Almost everyone loved the legend but they retired that name. The last TL had some of the same lines as the legend but it cost less.

If honda wants to be like Ferrari :D then the so called replancement will have a slightly different name.

Back