• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HSC=Next NSX?

Oops about the links. They are fixed now.

nsxtacey said:
I doubt the hsc w/ the specs of 300+hp and paddle shift etc. will be a replacement for the s2000 since the hsc should cost significantly more than 30k.
Perhaps I could have been more clear: I certainly did not mean to suggest the HSC would be a replacement for the S2000; I was trying to say the HSC could be an additional model to the Honda/Acura line-up and not replace any current model.

When I speculated on the HSC having price "closer to S2000 prices than NSX prices," I meant closer to $32K than $89K, which means ~$60K or less.

The more pictures I see, the uglier I think it is. It has some nice lines, but there are just too many bits like the doors, the B-pillars, and the tail lights, that look totally crap and ruin the whole thing.

I just don't like it. I'm really disappointed. I was all jazzed about possibly putting myself way into debt to get one on the first round this time. Now, forget it. I wouldn't even buy it used. I'm done looking for things to like about it.

What you've all been waiting for... moving video footage of the HSC from Honda. (Warning, these pages are in flash)

on road footage of the HSC:
http://www.honda.co.jp/motorshow/2003/auto/hsc/promo-video/broadband/index.html

video footage from the Tokyo Auto Show:
http://www.honda.co.jp/motorshow/2003/auto/hsc/live-video/broadband/index.html

interview - exterior:
http://www.honda.co.jp/motorshow/2003/auto/hsc/interview/exterior/index.html

interview - interior
http://www.honda.co.jp/motorshow/2003/auto/hsc/interview/interior/index.html

Justin664 said:
Is that a red start button on the right corner of the dash?

yes it is. :D

photo.jpg

From the amount of promo honda has put into this car, it sure sounds like more than a concept Very likelyhood of being a production car.

AndyVecsey said:
Something I have not seen in the pictures are the brakes. Please tell me that Brembos are factory standard. Otherwise, a first gen NSX with forced induction and big brakes will be my first choice over the HSC.

Looks like they are indeed Brembos.

photo.jpg

In the first video on the above links the screen shows at one point "300ps" along with Japanese script. I would like someone fluent in the language to translate what is being said as the video is played, but the 300ps leads me to think this will be a ~300 HP car, give or take. I, unlike so many here, think the 270 HP NSX is sufficient, so it does not bother me, but I sure there will be much booing if the car is released with this figure.

Aiken Drum said:
The more pictures I see, the uglier I think it is. It has some nice lines, but there are just too many bits like the doors, the B-pillars, and the tail lights, that look totally crap and ruin the whole thing.

I just don't like it. I'm really disappointed. I was all jazzed about possibly putting myself way into debt to get one on the first round this time. Now, forget it. I wouldn't even buy it used. I'm done looking for things to like about it.
The way I look at this car is that it is a product of a dedicated team's effort to produce a car that appeals to the mass public. It will never please EVERYONE on the planet. It gets so many nods from us obviously, and I think Honda succeeded.
Steve

Sorry guys.....But this HSC has everything I wished the NSX had. However, the side needs to take a greater design cue from the JGTC NSX. The front is breath taking as well as the rear.

Aside from looks however:
paddle shifter?
Camera?
Starter button?
Brembo brakes?

............hmmmmmmmmmm........me want..........me want bad........

Just the opposite for me

Aiken Drum said:
The more pictures I see, the uglier I think it is.

Funny, I get just the opposite sense. The more I see it, and especially after seeing the on-road footage, the more I like it. I'd need to see some real performance numbers before making a buying decision, but it looks good on the road (to me).

Shumdit said:
, but the 300ps leads me to think this will be a ~300 HP car, give or take. I, unlike so many here, think the 270 HP NSX is sufficient, so it does not bother me, but I sure there will be much booing if the car is released with this figure.

I guess it all depends on what you want. 270HP is fine for driving around town, but getting beat in a 1/4 by a freaking z28 or Evo is just not right for an "exotic car". Also, while the car feels great on a track, as soon as you hit a long straight, just wave goodbye to 911's, ferraris, lambos, lotus, z06, .etc... and that isnt right either for an "exotic car"

Hopefully comptech will have a SC out for this new car within the first few months and give it the 400HP it deserves.

whiteNSXs said:
The way I look at this car is that it is a product of a dedicated team's effort to produce a car that appeals to the mass public.
Steve

I bet there was a team effort to design the Pontiac Aztek too, and look how that turned out!:D
For that matter look at all the bad press the Chris Bangle BMW designs have been getting from customers as well as the press. The new designs may offer improvments from a dynamic standpoint, and therfore will sell, but the aesthetic changes have been a minor disaster. So just because something is new, it does not make it improved. There are elements of the HSC I find to be pleasing, but as a whole, it just does not gel for me. Maybe it's the rear end, or the slab sides, I am not sure. I will reserve final judgement until I see one in person, and in production form, if that occurs.

Re: Just the opposite for me

flaminio said:
Funny, I get just the opposite sense. The more I see it, and especially after seeing the on-road footage, the more I like it. I'd need to see some real performance numbers before making a buying decision, but it looks good on the road (to me).

I feel the same way too........just love this car so much!

NetViper,

You seem very hard-pressed about the new Nsx having a lot of horsepower. At first, it really did not bother me as long as the new Nsx can perform. But after reading about all the new cars released lately, I am staring to agree with you. Unless the new Nsx costs in the Corvette range, 300hp would be a marketing nightmare, at least in the United States. I just cannot believe that that will be the engine's output. I mean, the new TL has 270hp already. Even if it is a performer based on power/weight ratio, "300" doesn't do it justice; at least not when 300 is soon to be the standard for entry-lux sedans.

The standard is 500 hp Ferrari, Lambo, Ford GT, Viper, (Vette will be there soon).

If you don't have 500hp
- you are not a super car!
- you are not an exotic car!
-and you are not a flagship car!

Maybe Honda wants to be the best-looking sports car in the 300hp $39k price range.... to compete against Mazda's RX8, Nissan's Z and its own S2000. The HSC would get my vote for best looking! In the Jr. 300 hp club.

I haven't been to NSXprime for two years.... becaues I gave up on HONDA and its weak HP numbers and have been hanging out with the Ferrari club guys.

I try to kick-butt at ferrari-chat anytime some one says anything negative about the old 1991 NSX. I still love the old fellow.

I wrote HONDA off for dead... but I'm back with the excitment of a school boy on Christmas morning. HSC is clearly half ENZO and half 360 Ferrari. Guys finish up your design and use as many little ferrari details as you can. You're on the right track but.... don't even talk to me about 300hp unless you want to compete light weight agasint the Mazda Miata.

And Please! Green-cars and Hybrid cars are not for the track. The one joke about Ferrari right now is that they are too complicated and full of advanced electonics for guys to work on them. We are sick of cars that need a computer at the track just to run the thing. I'll wait till you get Hydrogen technology working.... don't give us any half-ass GREEN project. That would chase me right back away from HONDA again. I'm here for a world class sports car! Not to save $3.75 on my fill up at the gas station.

Dear HONDA Corp. I am in the market for a new car in 2005/6 I sure hope I end up with the next NSX in my drive way.

I guess it all depends on what you want. 270HP is fine for driving around town, but getting beat in a 1/4 by a freaking z28 or Evo is just not right for an "exotic car". Also, while the car feels great on a track, as soon as you hit a long straight, just wave goodbye to 911's, ferraris, lambos, lotus, z06, .etc... and that isnt right either for an "exotic car"

Hopefully comptech will have a SC out for this new car within the first few months and give it the 400HP it deserves.

Maybe this has been posted before, but NetViper got me wondering, will the HSC be an exotic???

The problem is that if you limit yourself to the 1/4 mile benchmark there are many so-called exotic cars that can be beaten by a 5 liter Mustang with a $4K supercharger....or less.

Jimbo,

That is a very good point. Heck, $4k could probably make your '77 Accord HB faster than many exotics:D (esp. since it weighs less than 2k lbs). The exotic factors that I am mostly concerned about, are the same factors that exclude the Vette from being an exotic. Price and Quantity. How much will this HSC cost, and how many will there be? The answer to this will greatly effect how "Exotic" it really is. Either way, someday there will be an HSC in my driveway!!!

Last edited:
"The exotic factors that I am mostly concerned about, are the same factors that exclude the Vette from being an exotic. Price and Quantity"

This is funny, but for me the Vette is not exotic nor is the Mustang because they are too tall.

Its a very good sign that the HSC is an inch lower than the old NSX.

Low profile is most important factor in getting into the exotic club. :D

NSXocto said:
The standard is 500 hp Ferrari, Lambo, Ford GT, Viper, (Vette will be there soon).

A part of me wants to agree with you, but the rest is saying: Results results results.

Honda isn't concerned about Hp. If they can acccomplish the same thing that every other 500 hp car is doing with only 300 hp then you're gonna bet that they're going to. By "accomplish" I mean straight line speed. Low 12's, high 11's.

Also I think the IMA hybrid system isn't just for honda to tout "Hey look at out sports car, its green too" Its more like "Hey look at our sports car we make 350 lb.ft of torque at 1500 rpm in a car that weighs 2800 lbs. A 3.5 Liter V6 with IMA is very capable of achieving just that.

In either case Honda wants to draw attention to what they can ACHIEVE as opposed to how they achieved it.

No one is jocking the $39,000 Lotus Elise with only 190 hp. It runs 12's. Does an M Roadster, S2000, Boxter S, or SLK32 run 12's? No. Okay then I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with 190 hp.

:eek: :eek: That car is HOT!! I will definitely get one the moment it is available. Maybe they will let current owners on the list first. I just called my Acura dealer and told him to get me on the list when it comes out.

I was thinking of getting a F360 next year but that next gen Honda is Beautiful. Hopefully they put some power to match those looks!!!! Maybe a CD player (instead of a tape) in this one:D God I get teased about that in my current NSX.

Having reviewed the many comments in this thread it appears that the HSC is NOT the NSX successor, but might be produced to compete with a broader intent and on a broader scale than was intended for the NSX. It appears that the HSC may be produced to compete with both the lower priced existing, or soon to, be new cars from a number of manufacturers, i.e., Nissan 350Z, Mazda RX-8 (RX-7), BMW Z-4, Mercedes SLK32 AMG (successor SLK350?), Audi TT, Porsche BoxsterS and yes, hold your breath, even the Chrysler Crossfire, etc., as well as compete with the higher priced "exotics" such as the Ferrari Modena and Porsche 911 derivatives. I sense that HONDA wants to claim a new niche in the market by being better than the lower priced cars so that it is considered the "best of" that line of vehicles, while at the same time attempting to one up the "big boys" with a less expensive car that has the looks, feel and capability of the exotics at a fraction of their price. To that end, I believe HONDA will be more "financially" succesful than it was with the introduction of the NSX in NA because it will appeal to a broader market and it will truly be a better vehicle in all respects than the lower priced line of cars, especially if the price point is ala Corvette level.

The differece between the HSC and the NSX is that HONDA did not target the lower priced sports cars (were there any to speak of anyway!) with the NSX, consequently it never enjoyed a "best of" comparison against any line of vehicle that it was targeted to take on, ie., Ferrari and Porsche. Yes, we all know the NSX is better than the same period Ferrari (348) and whatever Porsche 911 derivative existed at the time (911 Carrera) and, without question, a number of auto magazine car comparisons found the NSX superior (read:"Acura-Honda NSX Performance Portfoglio 1989-1999", from Brooklands Books).

IMHO HONDA will not make the same mistake again, and that is why I believe that a new NSX, built with the same market in mind as the original will emerge from HONDA. It is more likely that the HSC will be an intermediate step between the likes of the HONDA SC 2000 and the NSX which will likely fade away after a short period of overlap with the HSC.

In 1990 HONDA through its Acura Division of America produced a glitzy 12 page insert in many popular auto magazines which stated on the title page and following page, "IT HAS BEEN SAID THAT A CAR MAKES A STATEMENT ABOUT THE PERSON WHO DRIVES IT, THIS ONE MAKES A STATEMENT ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO BUILD IT." This promo piece went on to state, "Upon its unveiling, the vehicle you see before you will no doubt be referred to in many ways: as exotic, breakthrough, even history in the making. We prefer to think of it as, simply, a mission statement. ... Not a car buyer's dream, mind you...but a car maker's dream." The piece then went on to show a photo of Aryton Senna in a vintage 1989-90 HONDA F1 car, boasting (legitimately) the prowess at the time of HONDA engineering and stating about the NSX, "IT HAS REVOLUTIONARY WRITTEN ALL OVER IT, UNDER IT AND INSIDE IT." The promo piece then concludes with two interesting statements:

Back