• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HTC One or S4?

I used to have the EVO and really loved the interface. To me it was the easiest and most intuitive "out of the box" smart phone I've used.

I now have a S2 and since I've dropped the phone too many times it's become "dumber" and have been exhibiting phonementia and phonezeimers.

And no, I don't like the iPhone for the puny screen and crap GPS, etc...

What do you guys think of the 4 Ultrapixels that HTC is talking about? it's suppose to be the best thing for low light.....

I have the S3. It's the best phone I've ever had to this date. I almost bought a Nexus 4 when it came out, but just couldn't let go of the S3. I read a lot about the HTC One and it looks like a promising phone. However, I just don't see it being hardly any better than the S3 I have now. Makes me really wonder what the S4 is going to be like when it comes out. I think Samsung has pretty much taken the Android market. Since Google gave LG the nod for the Nexus 4, I really believe that's the only reason they're still in the game. HTC has been really lagging and everytime they come out with a new phone, Samsung comes out a month later with something that just blows everybody away.
I'm really not a Samsung Fanboy, but I am an Android Fanboy. Had plenty of Iphones. Most of them ended up smashed beside buildings. I've had the S1, S2, and now the S3 amongst other android phones. I keep buying the Samsungs because they seem to be the most tailored to me. Even though the camera is supposed to be great on the HTC, once I received the JB OS update I received low light picture taking capibility. I snapped a few picrtures of the snow storm we were getting last night and they came out pretty good. Besides, I have a Canon DLR if I really want great pictures.
For now, the only phone I'm looking at, other than the upcoming S4 is the Nexus 4. Pure Google experience and from everything I've read it's about on par with my S3. Hope this helps you.

-Chris

isn't the screen resolution on the HTC better than the S3?

Yes, it is. However, I just don't think you can tell that much of a difference. If the human eye cannot distinguish the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32 inch tv, how can you tell the difference on a -5 inch phone? That's just my observation. Also, I would bet my bottom dollar that the S4 has the same resolution as the HTC, if not better. And I personally like LED screens over LCD. That's definitely subjective.

As far as the construction, you have pinpointed Samsungs weakness. Again, my argument is that you will put a case on the phone most likely, negating the fact that the Samsung is plastic and the HTC is aluminum. It is still definitely a bone of contention with many people though. Since mine has a case on it, all you can tell is what color it is, not what it's made of.

Last edited:
I have an HTC inspire, love the interface
Just got a samsung Galaxy tablet and its ok.

My contract is up in july. I will probably get another HTC.
I like the HTC interface much better than Samsung.

If your a Samsung user check out HTC, you will definitely like it.

Last edited:
I would choose the HTC One. The build quality seems superb, it has the IR port (in the power button) to act as a remote control for your TV/stereo, the camera technology seems promising, and I don't mind the new Sense UI. The S4 will probably be a higher spec version of the S3.

The simple answer is probably no. I'll give you a lot of facts about why, and a lot of opinion, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

The reason why Apple is more intuitive is because quite frankly, their OS has not changed since 2006. It's a very stale OS. The additions they keep adding to it are coming mostly from Android OS's. Not even I-Sheep can deny that the drop down notifications were on Android phones years before Apple put it on their phones. The quiet time (not really sure what they call it) was on my phones way before Apple introduced it. The ability to put apps in folders starting sometime in 2010. Yep, you guessed it, Android had that back in 2008.

The other thing about Apple is that they keep you in a little box and will not allow you to get out of it. Just for the record, I'm talking about both sides stock. If you jailbreak your Iphone or route your Android, you have the ability to do much more with your phone. However, I personally leave my phones stock, since I have found Android phones much easier to get to do what I want. Here's an example of how Apple keeps you in their little box the whole time. Have multiple email accounts and want to change your email ringtone? Can't do it. It 's been the same ringtone since 2006. Have an android and want to change you ringtones on each email so you know which email just received? Sure, go right ahead. This is a very small thing, but it's applicable. I like Swiftkey for my keyboard. I wanted to try out Swiftkey Flow, but it was in Beta testing. I went to their website and downloaded it. It wasn't on Google Play, but I was still able to download it. With Apple, if you want an app that's not in Itunes you can't have it. Again, minor, but annoying.

I'm really not an Apple hater. I don't like Apple, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate some of the things they've done in the past. What they've done presently leaves me very blah. When all of the law suits started a year ago, I heard the best quote in a while for Apple. "Why inovate when you can litigate?" I thought that summed up the direction Apple has gone.

I still think Apple is a little bit more intuitive, just because there is not much you can do with their products. The reason that Android isn't quite as intuitive in my opinion is because they give you so many options to tailor your product to your needs. I do think since ICS OS came out Android has become much more user friendly. I currently have JB OS on all of my Android products and think it's even better. Still not quite as simple as Apple, but getting much closer. Hope this helps and please remember, take what I said with a grain of salt.

-Chris

Thanks for your opinion. I’ve had my iphone4 for the past two years, and I just feel like getting something new. I like the iphone since as mentioned, it’s easy to use and it looks nice, well-made and it’s not too big to put in my pocket without feeling weird. I don’t like the direction of smart phones getting bigger and bigger screens. That’s the reason I am not interested in Samsung since they are too damn big and the phone case is made of plastic. I think the new blackberry is plastic too, so I won’t consider it. However the new HTC One case is made of aluminum and looks well-made and not too big, so I am definitely interested. I will wait till the HTC One shows up in store, so I can check it out in person to see if it’s to my liking before I sign another 2-year contract !!

I agree that iOS is easier to use, because it's a simpler OS. What's more intuitive than touching an icon, right? However, if you're even a little bit proficient technically Android isn't that difficult to use, especially with the most recent versions of the software. I use an iPhone and an Android tablet, and both operating systems are fully capable of performing the basic tasks that I require: provide navigation, take photos, listen to music, browse the web, run apps/games. The important differentiating factors for me are hardware quality, availability of accessories, battery life, and usefulness of unique features (iTunes, Google Now, Siri, Google search, etc.). At this point I could go with either OS. I wish my iPhone could switch to alternative keyboards like Swype, but on the other hand I have a ton of iPod docks and accessories in my home and cars. My work email is only compatible with iOS, but I use more Google services in my personal life. You can see how the decision can be a close and personal one...

No question, the S4.

I used to be a HUGE HTC fan, having owned several of their devices....that is, until I got a Note. I bought it from a friend for $40 with a cracked screen glass and a bad charger port. Got a new battery and replaced the port, and it's good to go. This is the best device I've ever used, broken glass and all! My fiance then got an S3. She almost went back to an Apple device, but thought she'd give the Samsung a try since I like mine so well. She claims she'd never go back!

The S4 is going to be that much sweeter. With rumors of an octi-core processor and an almost Note sized screen, it's going to be a very hard device to compete against.

I personally can't wait to get a Note II. The quad core and 5.5" screen are enough to make my pants tight. I have a couple of friends who bought them after seeing my Note, and they both came from Apple devices. Neither one will ever go back, they claim.

Just my $.02. Good luck on your decision, it's a tough one!

Last edited:
Then you obviously haven't touched a Drid DNA. I swore I would never buy another HTC product, but it turns out that my DNA is one of the most robust phones I have ever known. This phone is simply amazing. The S3 is meh.

Back