• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I am getting ancy/impatient selling my car.. Should i stick it out or what?

Damon,
If it is in good shape and all the maintenance has been done then I think that the asking price is reasonable. I would think that you should be able to sell it for that price and I personally would not take anything lower, but since your getting antsy you might get some low ballers. The only reason that you might not be getting much action is that this is a tough time to sell a car. With Winter almost aproaching not many midwest or northeast ppl that store cars for the winter are going to be interested in buy a car. The economy is another reason that the exotic car market is sluggish. If you could I would just hold on to it and try to sell it next spring, more ppl would be interested since ppl are getting tax refunds and summer is comming.
my $.02

Paul

I agree the price is good if the car is in good condition and up to date on maintenance.

I think your location is probably the biggest factor in a lack of bites on the ad.

Also, don't just rely on the ad on this site! Make sure you list it on autotrader.come and all the other major venues.

I sold my last 2 cars on Ebay.

This can work if:
- you have a good feedback history
- decent web skills
- you have lots of information
- lots of pictures
- set a lower reserve to get interest

Recently it was reported that Ebay is now the #1 auto site for transactions completed. You also can offer for free a 1 month powertrain warranty, a low cost escrow service, a low cost service to come out and check out the car, etc.

I had a lot of success in the Midwest selling my 2 cars because I was competing with dealers (higher prices, not enough information, lower perception of trust vs enthusiast) and people on the coasts who were asking for a lot more for the same car.

Both of my cars (a BMW and a Lexus) were purchased out of state where they felt they got an excellent deal. I got 30-40% more then my highest local offer over a 2 month period. Both sold the 1st time within 9 days. Well worth it IMO.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Thanks for all the input guys.. I have the car on autotrader as we speak. I thought about ebay but I have been watching nsx's on their lately and have been seeing similar cars as mine not reach their reserve and the bidding stop around 23,500 which I wont take for the car. I guess I might just consider holding on to it until next year.. *sigh*

On Ebay - enthusiast owned cars do pretty well and there isn't much of a risk. Also - having excellent feedback is a real asset.

Another thing I found successfull was Yahoo Classifieds. Again I used all of the sites / tools to drive traffic to my Ebay auction and web site, answered questions quickly, kept in contact, etc.

Another thing is when you get some bids - you can BCC all the bidders with a discount (if you buy it now I will take $X off the price - to drive more interest).

Good luck / hang in there.

Biggest problems I see selling an NSX are manual (many people can't drive a stick), how hard it is to come up will all the cash or find someone to give you a competitive loan, only 2 seats, most are out of warranty, and the lack of people who know about the car.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

I successfully sold my motorcycle recently just by putting it in Ebay. I was skeptical, but it seems like it's one of the places most buyers are checking.

so you guys think i should go ahead and try ebay now or wait till spring.. I just wanted to have my business started my march-april.. =( o well I am only 24, I guess I can wait a lil longer..

why do you think all the other ones on ebay right now only reach around 23,500 for similar attributes of my car???

i disagree, i think a well maintained nsx is well worth what he's asking.

good luck selling--imo id go ahead and do the autotrader ebay thing and see what happens. if doesnt go quick than just try again in the spring. Oh hell, i just realized i know someone who wants one AND it's in the price range he was talkin about.

email me or call me at 8006786310. i'll hook you up.

Originally posted by matteni:
Biggest problems I see selling an NSX are manual (many people can't drive a stick)

That doesn't apply to the NSX market. Most people who want an NSX want a manual. That's why Honda sold over 90 percent of them with manual transmissions.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
That doesn't apply to the NSX market. Most people who want an NSX want a manual. That's why Honda sold over 90 percent of them with manual transmissions.

That's true. And also my statement of having only 2 seats. 100% of NSX buyers only get 2 seats!

smile.gif

Seriously - my point was some of the early year NSX prices have come down to the point where there is cross shopping with other sports cars and these factors still affect the overall potential number of buyers for the cars.

Originally posted by HPV100:
Damon,
The only reason that you might not be getting much action is that this is a tough time to sell a car. With Winter almost aproaching not many midwest or northeast ppl that store cars for the winter are going to be interested in buy a car. The economy is another reason that the exotic car market is sluggish. If you could I would just hold on to it and try to sell it next spring, more ppl would be interested since ppl are getting tax refunds and summer is comming.
my $.02

Paul

I completely agree. Exotic market is sluggish right now unless its got 4wd and is some form of a truck. Hang on to it, passively advertise it around, and start pushing harder on advertising in March. You'll probably get everything you want for it then.

Avoid selling in December/January. Now is the time to be buying!

Back