• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I am getting another NSX

I just need more peoples opinion on this car that I am going to buy. Its the one MIKE GORTZ is selling I Just need as may peoples input on this car. What do you guys think?

Thanks

This car is fantastic. I have only seen it, but not driven it. It is pristine and very sell maintained! I don't think Mike will mind me posting a pic of the NSX and his BMW that he recently showed at the Concorso Italiano.

Last edited:
Snap ring issue wouldn't bother me at all. If Ken says it's fantastic, I have to take his word for it. Better snatch it up before someone else does!

This is what I found on NSX prime FAQ on failure and I am confused between 7K and 1.4K???? Can some one explain this??

If the car is a 1991 or 1992 model year, check to see if the transmission number is between J4A4-1003542 and J4A4-1005978. If so, it is in the range of cars which may be affected by a catastrophic transmission failure. Find out if the car has had it's transmission replaced. If so, it is fixed and you do not have to worry about it. If the transmission has not been replaced, it may not be bad and may never fail. If it does fail, and the miles are not unreasonably high, there is a good chance Acura will "goodwill" the repair at no cost. If they do not, however, the repair costs around $7000 total (a whole new transmission plus labor).

CBR1100XX said:
This is what I found on NSX prime FAQ on failure and I am confused between 7K and 1.4K???? Can some one explain this??
It's well explained in the FAQ. You just need to scroll down to where it says, "HELP! My snap ring broke! / How much does repair cost?"

If your snap ring has not failed but you want to perform a preventive repair, you can have the transmission opened up to replace the snap ring and the upper transmission case. $1400 is a little low, I think, but you can probably pay about $2000-2500 for that. (It's 8-12 hours labor plus parts that you can get discounted for ~$700 from Dali Racing, but most dealers will charge more.)

If you do this at the same time as you're having other transmission work done anyway (synchro repair, gearing mod), then the only extra cost is for the parts.

If your snap ring fails and you recognize the symptoms immediately (loose shift knob) and you don't continue to drive very far on it, you can do the same thing, again for around $2000-2500.

However, if the snap ring fails and you continue driving on it, then the transmission can get damaged, and you will need to replace the entire transmission for $7000.

Thanks for the insight

I guess the best thing to do is to invest in the preventative measure of fixing the snap ring problem and at the same time install a new clutch and service the synchros

Thanks

CBR1100XX said:
I guess the best thing to do is to invest in the preventative measure of fixing the snap ring problem and at the same time install a new clutch and service the synchros
If it needs the clutch and the synchros, then yes.

If I had a snap ring car that didn't need a new clutch or synchros yet, then I would just keep driving it as is, and watch out for the symptoms of a failed snap ring. If and when it failed, I would have it fixed.

But if you feel like the cost of the preventive repair is worth it in terms of peace of mind, then go for it.

parts are about $600.00 and Don at hilltop in SF already quoted me $950.00 in labor if i were to fix it.I also spoke with Mark Basch and he said labor would be $800.00.Call Niello Acura in sacramento and tell them youy are a NSX club member and they will give you 30% off on parts.

MIKE GORTZ said:
parts are about $600.00 and Don at hilltop in SF already quoted me $950.00 in labor if i were to fix it.I also spoke with Mark Basch and he said labor would be $800.00.Call Niello Acura in sacramento and tell them youy are a NSX club member and they will give you 30% off on parts.

Nice garage! :)

Back