• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I have an idea why the Gen 2 isn't selling well

Still looking at NSX Gen 2 pics, reading articles, watching vids, shopping around, and getting quotes, and I find myself not having that GOTTA HAVE IT feeling about it, and I think I finally realize why: It just kinda dawned on me that the Gen 2 NSX doesn't have that "awesome super car" look. It certainly looks GOOD, even REALLY GOOD, maybe even kinda great. But its looks don't blow my mind with awesomeness. I'm certainly not trying to offend anybody, and mostly kinda thinkin' out loud, but I think it looks more like a really really nice, sporty, economical Honda/Acura 2 door (except it's not economical) that's low and has a nice stance, rather than an awesome, badass, holy-crap-look-at-that-thing! super car.

Now I do admit, I've actually never even seen one in person. The city I live in is very far from a super car city. There's 'some' money here, but nothing like a big city or coastal city, so I very rarely see anything exotic. I'll see a GT-R once in a blue moon, but that's about it. Oh, and recently a car hauler 18-wheeler went by carrying a bunch of 'regular' cars plus a Ferrari, and dropped off the Ferrari somewhere in the big neighborhood about half a mile from me.

What say you? Do I need to see it person to be converted? Are its less-than-astounding looks holding back sales?

Last edited:
I live in a very big city and it turns plenty of heads

As we have discussed a bunch of stuff going against it

Late to market, designed to go against a 458 and when it hit the street the 488 was the new kid in town
McLaren has been flooding the market with faster that fast cars
Lambo has also done a fine job with the Huracan
R8 has an open top and we do not
Paltry customization choices relative to the brands noted above
No lift so very few typical owners can realistically own one (can't get into a condo building or office park garage)
Not the fastest in general
Interior is not explicit enough and nav is dated
Heavy relative to other cars in the class
Many folks are polarized by the hybrid aspect

Many reasons for poor sales, which have been hashed, rehashed, and beaten to death in this forum.

My advice, you’re in FL, there are dealers with the cars, both new and used, that are not that far from you. Go look at one, notice the details. If you can, test drive one. If the car doesn’t move you after that, then you know it’s not for you. :)

The main reason it’s not selling is because it’s overpriced.

you have to see it in person to really go one way with the love the looks or not - the Minute I saw my first black on black, I know I had to set that as my goal. First time I saw a hurrican I thought the front lights were off, now i appreciate it much more. photos really don't do the car justice, you really have to see it up close. as for cost, its incentivized so if you can get a price you are happy with and work with what you have you won't be disappointed - There are plenty of lambos , f-cars and the odd mac here in Ottawa and the NSX gets plenty of great attention so yes it does turn heads - not Aventador or Mac720 drivers heads but it does turn sports car fan heads none the less...

You might relate to one or more of these musings. I’m actually making strong points, but....subtly. You’ve got to read between the lines.

I’m in Fairfax county, Virginia. The Big City, for sure. I took delivery of my new NSX around April 1st. I now have 6,156 miles on it. Could I have put that many miles, that quickly, on a Huracán or a 458? Not without hiring a live-in chiropractor. The R8? Possibly. Yes. The McLaren 570s? No. No way. (I also considered a 911. But part of what defines a Supercar, is exclusivity. Porsche sold more 911’s last Tuesday morning, than Acura sold NSX’s in all of 2018.)

I looked at all those cars before buying the NSX. In the end, though, I think it all came down to Head vs. Heart. My heart said Huracán. My head said NSX. I went to Home Depot the other day in my NSX. I hauled away two (TWO!) of those big, heavy, Office-sized water jugs in the trunk. Try that with an R8 or a Huracán.

Ive been to Cars & Coffee almost every weekend. On nice Saturdays, there are always at least five or six 458’s, two or three 488’s, seven R8’s, four or five McLarens, and — I’m not exaggerating — ten Lamborghinis. In the nine times I’ve shown my car at Cars & Coffee, I have seen a TOTAL of two new NSX’s. In nine weeks. And when I leave C&C in EV Mode, it takes a while, because no one can hear me trying to get through the walking crowd. And I can hear everyone saying as I silently ease past: “Whoah! That thing’s electric????”

On the Dulles Airport Toll Road the other day, I noticed what clearly was a high-end exotic car coming up behind me. I couldn’t tell what it was, but I knew it was going to be special — it was very, very low, very wide, and mean-as-hell-looking. I slowed down, and was shocked and thrilled to finally figure out that it was a new NSX. A red one. Now that I know what my own car looks like in someone’s rear view mirror, I’m like....wow. OK, that’s juvenile as hell. Sue me.

Here’s my last thought. I was driving — ahem — rather spiritedly in a nearby National Forest the other day. It was a weekday, midday. Very little traffic. I passed two of my law enforcement community brethren; neither pursued. Had I been in a Ferrari or a Lambo, I would already have mailed-in my fines by now.

None of this is advice. The advice NeuronBob gave you, can’t be topped.

Whatever you chose, I (for one) really want to hear which car you got, and why. Seriously.

I live in a very big city and it turns plenty of heads

As we have discussed a bunch of stuff going against it

Late to market, designed to go against a 458 and when it hit the street the 488 was the new kid in town
McLaren has been flooding the market with faster that fast cars
Lambo has also done a fine job with the Huracan
R8 has an open top and we do not
Paltry customization choices relative to the brands noted above
No lift so very few typical owners can realistically own one (can't get into a condo building or office park garage)
Not the fastest in general
Interior is not explicit enough and nav is dated
Heavy relative to other cars in the class
Many folks are polarized by the hybrid aspect

Yeah, I hear all that. I still think if it looked incredibly awesome, more would sell. People will forgive some things if the looks are there ... think 'annoying hot chick'.

Many reasons for poor sales, which have been hashed, rehashed, and beaten to death in this forum.

My advice, you’re in FL, there are dealers with the cars, both new and used, that are not that far from you. Go look at one, notice the details. If you can, test drive one. If the car doesn’t move you after that, then you know it’s not for you. :)

I plan to :encouragement:

The main reason it’s not selling is because it’s overpriced.

I suppose that's always the case, no matter what the poor-selling product is.

you have to see it in person to really go one way with the love the looks or not - the Minute I saw my first black on black, I know I had to set that as my goal. First time I saw a hurrican I thought the front lights were off, now i appreciate it much more. photos really don't do the car justice, you really have to see it up close. as for cost, its incentivized so if you can get a price you are happy with and work with what you have you won't be disappointed - There are plenty of lambos , f-cars and the odd mac here in Ottawa and the NSX gets plenty of great attention so yes it does turn heads - not Aventador or Mac720 drivers heads but it does turn sports car fan heads none the less...

OK, I need to go take a look. Thanks.

You might relate to one or more of these musings. I’m actually making strong points, but....subtly. You’ve got to read between the lines.

I’m in Fairfax county, Virginia. The Big City, for sure. I took delivery of my new NSX around April 1st. I now have 6,156 miles on it. Could I have put that many miles, that quickly, on a Huracán or a 458? Not without hiring a live-in chiropractor. The R8? Possibly. Yes. The McLaren 570s? No. No way. (I also considered a 911. But part of what defines a Supercar, is exclusivity. Porsche sold more 911’s last Tuesday morning, than Acura sold NSX’s in all of 2018.)

I looked at all those cars before buying the NSX. In the end, though, I think it all came down to Head vs. Heart. My heart said Huracán. My head said NSX. I went to Home Depot the other day in my NSX. I hauled away two (TWO!) of those big, heavy, Office-sized water jugs in the trunk. Try that with an R8 or a Huracán.

Ive been to Cars & Coffee almost every weekend. On nice Saturdays, there are always at least five or six 458’s, two or three 488’s, seven R8’s, four or five McLarens, and — I’m not exaggerating — ten Lamborghinis. In the nine times I’ve shown my car at Cars & Coffee, I have seen a TOTAL of two new NSX’s. In nine weeks. And when I leave C&C in EV Mode, it takes a while, because no one can hear me trying to get through the walking crowd. And I can hear everyone saying as I silently ease past: “Whoah! That thing’s electric????”

On the Dulles Airport Toll Road the other day, I noticed what clearly was a high-end exotic car coming up behind me. I couldn’t tell what it was, but I knew it was going to be special — it was very, very low, very wide, and mean-as-hell-looking. I slowed down, and was shocked and thrilled to finally figure out that it was a new NSX. A red one. Now that I know what my own car looks like in someone’s rear view mirror, I’m like....wow. OK, that’s juvenile as hell. Sue me.

Now that last part is actually big for me ... I wanna be the one who's impressed by its looks. I don't care too much what others think. Never been an attention hog. But I also don't want to buy something that I love but will be difficult to sell some day.

Here’s my last thought. I was driving — ahem — rather spiritedly in a nearby National Forest the other day. It was a weekday, midday. Very little traffic. I passed two of my law enforcement community brethren; neither pursued. Had I been in a Ferrari or a Lambo, I would already have mailed-in my fines by now.

None of this is advice. The advice NeuronBob gave you, can’t be topped.

Whatever you chose, I (for one) really want to hear which car you got, and why. Seriously.

Surely will do :encouragement:

Thanks for all the discussion.

I had two requirements:

1. Do I really want it enough to sell what I have (I could not justify owning three cars).

2. Can I afford it? Once my credit union said I was good to go, I bought one.

Who cares if other people are "wowed", the only one that needs to be wowed is you. I've been in a few of them, also been driven at Sebring, and Road America, by the Robinson brothers (what an extreme treat that was), and yet I don't want one. I have an 02 NSX, and another "super car", that both "do it" for me. Every time I approach either of the two cars, a smile comes across my mouth. When I'm driving them I also have an ear to ear grin. I could give a flying F-cK, what others think. Buy what makes you smile, enjoy it for as long as it brings you pleasure, when it no longer does, get something else. JMHO

I would go look at one rather than ask for opinions.....are you going to buy or lease a car based on the internet?

I would go look at one rather than ask for opinions.....are you going to buy or lease a car based on the internet?

The OP would be a fool not to lease this car. Have you seen the used market for this car? They are sitting stagnant because dealers are selling new ones for $125k that had a sticker of $175k+

As a previous 2000 NSX owner, when it was time for me to upgrade I considered the new NSX. I initially SWORE I would never sell it but I just needed a different experience after 4 years. Looking at what was out there, I almost pulled the trigger on a 2005 Rio Yellow pearl NSX before I settled on my R8. Why you may ask? There is nothing like 500+ HP and still having that manual transmission to shift through. Eventually, I feel I may find myself back in an NSX but for the time being, the R8 cannot be beat to me.

LandLawMan's error codes / shutdowns thread, and DocL's situation has me concerned.

I was already on the fence about its looks and sound, then read those ^ ... and watched LHT Performance's youtube vids: His buying, modding and owning experience was all positive, but he just sold after <1 year when he realized the engine would cost ~$90K to replace. (IF ever needed of course)

I'm still thinkin' on it, but the last ~24 hours of thinkin' has been leaning me away.

Sometimes I read about all this hi tech, which can obviously be unreliable / have probs / take over the driving experience, in a depreciating car, and I think 'Screw it! Pick up a '67 Vette with A/C!' Simple to work on, sounds great, and prob a break even asset (or better).

Still thinkin' ...

Sometimes I read about all this hi tech, which can obviously be unreliable / have probs / take over the driving experience, in a depreciating car, and I think 'Screw it! Pick up a '67 Vette with A/C!' Simple to work on, sounds great, and prob a break even asset (or better).

Ha! At the moment I'm installing A/C on my '66 427 convertible :smile:

I agree that simpler is better. Plus, I live in a small, quiet midwestern town and the old muscle cars are "better received." My '92 NSX is about as exotic as it gets over here....

I've wanted to buy a used i8 for the last few years but everytime I get serious I have to remind myself that it's one of the most complicated cars made by Germans - What could go wrong out of warranty?!

Flintstones mobile........good......................yabadabadoooooooooooooooooo

I have my own ideas - but I agree with others - price is just too high. I also think Acura hasn't done its loyal fan base any favors giving huge discounts for later models. I feel like the prices for the early models of the 2nd Gen were seriously undercut by steep discounts now available for the newer models. Also, not happy about the lack of available extended warranties. What my local indicated was the only thing available was to get the car certified, if qualified, added 2 more years - that was it.

I really think if the car had topped out around 120K with all the bells and whistles, the car would have sold like hotcakes. Personally, I like the styling, design, and performance - just wish it wasn't so darn expensive.

just judging by the lack of activity on the Gen2 forum - sort of another red flag for prospective owners - this car is a going to have to go the long-term route to see sunny skies on proper pricing.

most nc1 owners kibitz on FB

correct ,me too...I see you are in Virginia...are you coming to nsxpo in the DC area next week?

correct ,me too...I see you are in Virginia...are you coming to nsxpo in the DC area next week?

Probably not - first the open registration has closed. Second, I am not an NSX owner - just kind of curious at this point. Besides, next weekend Saturday is Cars & Coffee in Richmond. I usually try to attend that. There are usually at least 2 or 3 NSX owners there and I plan to go early and make a point of meeting up with them if possible. But, then again maybe they won't show if they are going to NSXPO, hehehe.

My take on the NSXPO gathering is it is really intended for NSX owners. If it is something I am able "crash" I might head up to DC and check it out. It looks like the interesting part for me would be the Vender/Car Show and presentations by car owners. Not sure how long that lasts but sounds like it is at the Gaylord NR Convention Center which I am guessing is part of the hotel complex or close by.

Last edited:
correct the club events are for members but if you are very serious about the new car there will be many owners to talk to.

Probably not - first the open registration has closed. Second, I am not an NSX owner - just kind of curious at this point. Besides, next weekend Saturday is Cars & Coffee in Richmond. I usually try to attend that. There are usually at least 2 or 3 NSX owners there and I plan to go early and make a point of meeting up with them if possible. But, then again maybe they won't show if they are going to NSXPO, hehehe.

My take on the NSXPO gathering is it is really intended for NSX owners. If it is something I am able "crash" I might head up to DC and check it out. It looks like the interesting part for me would be the Vender/Car Show and presentations by car owners. Not sure how long that lasts but sounds like it is at the Gaylord NR Convention Center which I am guessing is part of the hotel complex or close by.

Sorry you got the impression that it was only for owners. I actually pitched to a few local dealers that they should sponsor the event and I told they could put their sponsor money towards paying for potential buyers to attend the event. It honestly would have been some of the best marketing $$$ they could have spent because after being immersed in information you would want to buy the car. Add in hot laps in the Pikes Peak Track Spec car and hot laps in a stock NC1 by pro driver Peter Cunningham and who wouldn't want to buy this car if they were in the market?

If you are interested in attending, I will get you in the door despite the late hour - I have worked hard the entire event to make this a welcome and open arms style event to everyone interested and I don't intend to stop that now. Pay the entry free and come on in, it will be the best research dollars you can spend. Spend Wednesday or Thursday at the track learning the limits of what the car is capable of and talking to people who are tracking the car to get a true hands on assessment. Spend Friday in the passenger seat with other owners in "daily driver" scenarios as we head out from DC and in to the autumn leaves of Skyline Drive. Spend Saturday talking to the people who build the car and learn about the driving philosophy and all the little things that go in to making the event. You can even sit down and talk to the Father of the Second Generation Ted Klaus.

Send me an email at [email protected] and I will make it happen.

Back