• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I just passed my Motorcycle license test!

:cool: :eek: :biggrin:

Woohoo!!!!

Went to the DMV, took the test, 10 minutes later I was done. You were allowed 3 misses but I made 2. I didn't have to take the driving test because I completed an MSF course during the summer.

Now, I'm looking for a starter bike. Considering the Honda Rebel or Kawasaki Vulcan 500. I'm leaning towards the kawasaki because of the Positive Neutral Shift feature = less panic for me.

I'm so excited. But driving down the 5 fwy from San Francisco yesterday I saw a biker got hosed by a truck flipped on it side. :eek: I didn't need to see that. :frown:

Anyway, I'm looking for motorcycle insurance. Wawanesa, who covers my car, doesn't provide it.

Any suggestions?

Congrats on passing the test. I too need to get off my a$$ and get my license. I have been looking for a long time for the right bike for me. I am 99% sure that I'll end up with a Honda CBR600F4i. Just have to locate one that is the right color combo and right $$ for my budget.
So between both tests you took was there any riding involved at all?

demigod said:
CBR600RR would be a nice starter bike.

I had considered one of those also. CHudson has a couple of them and probably agrees. I just can't warm up to the look of them though. The body panels are to creased and sharp lines. Like the F4i a little better.

Congratulations on your licence!

demigod said:
Disagree - may be smaller end of displacement scale but still a pretty extreme bike for a starter.
Ideal considerations from my perspective would be Suzuki SV650, or another choice perhaps Kawasaki Z750S. These two models are ideal for novice riders but will not be quickly outgrown either.

D'Ecosse said:
Congratulations on your licence!

Disagree - may be smaller end of displacement scale but still a pretty extreme bike for a starter.
Ideal considerations from my perspective would be Suzuki SV650, or another choice perhaps Kawasaki Z750S. These two models are ideal for novice riders but will not be quickly outgrown either.

Maybe everyone is different, first bike I ever rode was a GSXR 1000,..
533.gif

demigod said:

I agree, seems like all my friends started on these as well. This summer im treating myself to a new bike :biggrin:

Alright, another 2 wheeler! I'd start off with a beater bike or something you wont mind dropping. Just so it wont break your heart. Being a newbie you'll likely make newbie mistakes(I know I sure did). My first bike was an old honda F3. I would highly recommend attending some beginner level track days or riding schools to learn your bike safely without distractions from street riding. :smile:
Keep the shiny side up!

Everyone is ignoring Joel's initial considerations and talking about what THEY would have - the CBR600RR is about as far removed from his initial choices as could be imagined.

And with that in mind I would probably flip my recommendations to have the Kawa be more suitable, but the SV is big winner as an all-round motorcycle.

Last edited:
Joel:

First congratulations !!!

It seems that your looking at cruisers...because your looking at vulcans, rebels..etc...

Without a doubt i would suggest the Yamaha V-star 650 (classic or custom).
It is one of the best starter bikes period. And you can still use it as a seasoned veteran. I have been riding for 15 years, and i still enjoy my vstar, a much easier ride then my Ducati 900 supersport.

It was voted "cruiser of the year" , by motorcycle cruiser magazine.

>>> "Motorcycle Cruiser crowned it both "Cruiser of the Year" and "Best Value" the very first season it hit the streets, hailing it as bike that "has raised the bar for middleweight cruisers."

Its easy to ride, shift, handle.
Its one of the most reliable cruisers out there.
Its very comfortable.
Its inexpensive !!!

Best of all, it looks mean, with its big tank, pipes, seat.. The vulcan and rebel look like bicycles infront of it. It also looks alot like the fatboy-one of the most popular and hottest harley davidson bikes. People always mistake my v-star for a harley. But the good thing is the v-star, cost 1/4th the price, is more reliable, and more comfortable. :smile:

You can pick up a 2000 vstar 650 for about 3 or $4k.
The v-star is easy to customize, with whatever look you like.

Here are some pictures....

Last edited:
BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
I agree, seems like all my friends started on these as well. This summer im treating myself to a new bike :biggrin:

Very nice bike, looks hot also! You won't ride this bike a week and then think you need to upgrade..I took my friend who also is a beginner to Hahm Motorsports and they recommended this bike.

Joel:

How bout a Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe for a cruiser?

I like the SV also. Its got a very comfy riding position and all sorts of accesories for it. How about a Ducati monster? The Suzuki should be naturally faster though! jk :tongue:

demigod said:

IMHO, he needs a high performance sport bike like a hole in the head. I'm reticent to offer advice, but after 35 years of riding/racing, 55 motorcycles and about half a million riding miles, let me offer my 2 cents. Based on his budget, physical size and anticpated activity with the bike, he should consider a medium displacement standard or sporting standard style motorcycle. (The above mentioned SV650 is a great choice) He should budget for full gear, riding suit with impact armor, full face helmet, boots and riding schools etc. Motorcycling is a blast, but it aint worth gettin dead over.

Last edited:
i've been riding since '68 ('69? damn, too many impacte grey hairs ;) and i'm with nsxpilot on the "start medium, stay alive" approach. i suggest finding something you can physically handle/push around as needed. as for displacement/performance - what's the hurry to go 150+ on a scooter? give yourself a break and learn how to ride aware, then trade up and move on.

btw, nsxpilot - you've got me on the bike count... i'm ~23ish and thought that was a lot. my current main ride is '95 gl1500. yesterday was our son's 30th bday and i'm giving him my '69 honda cl160 he's lusted after since he was a little boy.

ride safe, all.
hal

demigod said:
Joel:

How bout a Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe for a cruiser?

Thought about it. The only hang-up I have with the Hondas is that it's hard to find neutral. The bike I was on during the MSF course was a Honda and if I try to shift to neutral, I either end up in first or second gear. The instructor said that all hondas do that.

nsxpilot said:
IMHO, he needs a high performance sport bike like a hole in the head. I'm reticent to offer advice, but after 35 years of riding/racing, 55 motorcycles and about half a million riding miles, let me offer my 2 cents. Based on his budget, physical size and anticpated activity with the bike, he should consider a medium displacement standard or sporting standard style motorcycle. (The above mentioned SV650 is a great choice) He should budget for full gear, riding suit with impact armor, full face helmet, boots and riding schools etc. Motorcycling is a blast, but it aint worth gettin dead over.

Thanks.

My rider friends tell me that I should get a full face helmet. They give you more protection but honestly, I don't like them. I feel very constricted in it and when the face shield is down, I get even more claustrophobic. When I wear these things, I don't feel connected to my environment and that is a hazard for me. I feel detached from what is going on around me. Am I alone in feeling like this?

I like this guy's helmet:
picture457zp.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the license. You did it the right way. Go for a used Honda Rebel
that you won't mind dropping. Riding with the cagers is a whole lot different than the controlled environment of a course. Take your time and ride with a patient friend for a while. When you feel real comfortable decide the type of riding you think you will be doing. Distance, bar hopping, track etc.
Also consider if your riding will be two up or solo. If two up, some of those sport bikes may not be real practical.
Enjoy, and ride safe.

Joel said:
Thanks.

My rider friends tell me that I should get a full face helmet. They give you more protection but honestly, I don't like them. I feel very constricted in it and when the face shield is down, I get even more claustrophobic. When I wear these things, I don't feel connected to my environment and that is a hazard for me. I feel detached from what is going on around me. Am I alone in feeling like this?

I like this guy's helmet:
picture457zp.jpg

You might as well not wear a helmet if this is the style you like. I was hit by a car on my motorcycle and if I was wearing a helmet like the one you like, my face would have been crushed. Furthermore, not having a full face helmet makes you more susceptible to getting nailed in the face with pebbles and all sorts of sharp things from the road. But then again, down here in Florida there is no helmet law, so most of the idiots not wearing one involved in a crash end up DOA. :frown:

DocL said:
down here in Florida there is no helmet law, so most of the idiots not wearing one involved in a crash end up DOA. :frown:
I really don't want to hijack this happy thread with a helmet argument that will change no one's mind, but that's just ignorant.

Wear whatever you want. You're going to die eventually anyway.

Joel,

Out of your two choices I'd go with the Vulcan 500. When I took the MSF course on the Rebel I didn't like it, but it was probably beat up a bit. When I rode a newer one for my coworker (she just got her license and wasn't comfortable riding 30miles home) it ran really nice, but was very weak on the freeway.

As far as insurance goes, I got pretty good rates from State Farm.

As far as helmets and gear go, I can't imagine not having a full faced helmet. I've been pelted enough by debris that I always wear full gear.

I personally worked my way up from a Ninja 250 to CBR600F2 to CBR600F4i to Ducati 750 Sport to now retired from motorcycles until my kids grow up. :)

One bike I didn't see mentioned that I think would be a great starter is the EX500 aka Ninja 500R.

Otto

Back