• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I made a mistake....I think its gonna be ok...but need to ask

I was installing a new battery today, an Optima, and was putting it in...wasn't paying close enough attention...put the negative cable on what I thought was the negative termainal first...but was the positive...and then put the positive cable on what was actually the negative. The horn started blaring in my face...so I immediately took it right off. Notice what I did wrong....attached correctly. Some of the accessory lights and stuff come on inside...other than that...nothing. I looked at the fuse panel in the engine compartment and the big one...ACG 120A is blown. Is it safe to say that if I replace that main fuse it will be fine? Or is it possible I did other damage? I am thinking replace the big fuse and it's ok, that's why they wire it that way...but freaks me out. Can anyone support of verify that thought? Thanks in advance.

If the fuse didnt contain the damage then you have nothing to loose by trying a new fuse, but if it did its job then consider yourself lucky.

Armando

Cool, thanks. with the way the posts sit on that battery vs. previous I had it set in wrong and the whole batter is red...didn't pay close enough attention ...I feel like an idiot! But thanks!

Agree with the post above, sounds a little bit funny. :) I think the fuse is determined to take the 'fault' but you'll never know. I hope no other damage occured. Let us know.

I have done this before on my audi- the optima battery's have the positive and negative opposite of some common supplied car batteries so they are easly confused.

Everything in my audi powered up right away-horn- lights- everything that does not care if + and - is mixed up. Because most of the switches are before the positive end of the circuit, when it was switched the + comes through the negative lead and lets those items that don't care which way the power flows through them, power up! It really freaks you out!

Did you notice that the cooling fan turned on too? Curious what else turned on- it tells you lots about how the car is wired.... but don't do it again...

Replace the fuse and you will be fine!:rolleyes:

good luck... i had my body shop jump my battery on my elise on the wrong terminals... blew a fuse.. .and the car ran under a "safety" mode for some time... had to just simply replaec the fuse...

Don't worry, I did this before. Well actually, as luck would have it, I placed the battery in and was going to rotate it into place when the cables fell and hit the post contacts. There was a huge spark and a big pop. It was so violent it took a chip right out of the metal battery post and nearly hit my eye. The 120A fuse was toast. I just replaced the fuse and never had a problem since.

I replaced the fuse, 120A...found at parts store somewhat surprisingly. And all was fine. Thanks for the posts. But yeah...I think the fan did come on for a second when the horn blew in my face too. Turned out to be not a big deal really...but freaked me out. I always had Optima batteries in my previous cars. Funny think was, I bought my NSX about 5 years ago and have never had any issues with the "Acura" battery that was in it. But when I had my oil changed recently, and the cold, they noticed it was showing low amps. So in my efforts to avoid getting stuck somewhere by replacing it before it was about to die, I kinda got stuck since I blew the fuse anyway. But anyway, lesson learned with the Optima, best battery I have ever had though. So there's the update, and thanks for the posts!

What I still wonder: how could the horn 'blew you in the face' as it should haved blewed you in the knees as far as the NSX is concerned? :)

This goes to show how GREAT a car the NSX is-- IT KNEW YOU WERE WRONG-- so the car talked to you- LOL

Your NSX was like ""BEEEEP"" Translated into english-- "Hey jerkoff, i love you and all for the new battery but you are about to fry my ECU so please flip the terminals!!!

Did similiarly... well actually tightening one of the terminal, somehow wrench came loose and was basically bridging +ve and -ve for a moment- bit of sparks, caught me off guard- but no fuse blown. Does make me that much cautious after that.

p.s. just noticed my 500th posts in 2yrs++

The horn blew because it used the chassie as the power source and the battery as the ground... It did what you did...
:cool:

Back