• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I need a high boost pulley for a comptech whipple Sc

Im looking to increase the boost on my SC and have been working with Chris at SOS and he informed me that comptech doesn't make this pulley anymore and isnt planning on making it. Does anyone have one I can buy or know someone with a machine shop that has made one before that I can buy. My car is running lean on the low boost and I'm buying bigger injectors and fuel management. I'm at a total standstill on this until I can locate a pulley :frown:

I know a machinist here in Phoenix who will make quality one off pulleys. i don't know if you need a special tool (which he could purchase at your expense) or not.

Pete Kirk
602 256 2214

You would have to send him an existing pulley for him to use as a prototype to work against. ONe option would be to have chris send him one if you need your current one to keep the car running. he is very inexpensive.

Im looking to increase the boost on my SC and have been working with Chris at SOS and he informed me that comptech doesn't make this pulley anymore and isnt planning on making it. Does anyone have one I can buy or know someone with a machine shop that has made one before that I can buy. My car is running lean on the low boost and I'm buying bigger injectors and fuel management. I'm at a total standstill on this until I can locate a pulley :frown:

Whipple does sell pulleys and they have a selection of them on their shelf. They are pretty reasonably priced (<$100 shipped). BUT they will just ask you "what kit is it for" and since the NSX kit wasn't one of theirs, they can't just ask you what diameter you need and be done with it.

There are 3 different pulley offsets they stock, and I'm not certain what offset the NSX kit was (or if it even matches the offsets that Whipple has on the shelf).

It was no small feat for me to get them to physically measure the offset of their pulleys to see if any of the offsets would work for me or not. It took a lot of emails / phone calls.

But... if you're at a standstill...

- Craig

Whipple does sell pulleys and they have a selection of them on their shelf. They are pretty reasonably priced (<$100 shipped). BUT they will just ask you "what kit is it for" and since the NSX kit wasn't one of theirs, they can't just ask you what diameter you need and be done with it.

There are 3 different pulley offsets they stock, and I'm not certain what offset the NSX kit was (or if it even matches the offsets that Whipple has on the shelf).

It was no small feat for me to get them to physically measure the offset of their pulleys to see if any of the offsets would work for me or not. It took a lot of emails / phone calls.

But... if you're at a standstill...

- Craig
I don't want to risk getting the wrong one. My friend made a custom pulley for his Jackson racing supercharger a few years back. I brought him the car and he said he can make one no problem. I"m having him make the 86mm which i have been told will make 9-10lbs of boost on the 3.2. I'm also having him build an 81mm to try out. That should give me 12lbs which is the maximum you can run on the whipple. I'm going to try the 81mm first and if it is making more than 12lbs I will use the 86mm

How did you know you were running lean? Dyno gauge or onboard A/F. What A/F were you hitting above 7k?

I don't want to risk getting the wrong one. My friend made a custom pulley for his Jackson racing supercharger a few years back. I brought him the car and he said he can make one no problem. I"m having him make the 86mm which i have been told will make 9-10lbs of boost on the 3.2. I'm also having him build an 81mm to try out. That should give me 12lbs which is the maximum you can run on the whipple. I'm going to try the 81mm first and if it is making more than 12lbs I will use the 86mm

12lbs on a stock motor = boom

Dyno. I was 13.8 above 7k

Wow, that is scary. I am installing an A/F gauge over the winter because I think the car is leaning out as the weather got colder. Did you turn up the fuel pressure to compensate?

Do be ware that just adding a high boost pulley will probably make the car run lean. The original Comptech high boost kit also uses a different rising rate FPR which raises the FP faster than the standard one..

+ this, even if it doesn't lean out on mid-range rpm under accelleration, it will probably blow due to detonation as a result of the high boost while still using stock ignition advance maps. When running this high boost, you will need to retard ignition timing mappings

Last edited:
+ this, even if it doesn't lean out on mid-range rpm under accelleration, it will probably blow due to detonation as a result of the high boost while still using stock ignition advance maps. When running this high boost, you will need to retard ignition timing mappings
I'm also putting bigger injectors and an Fic. 12 lbs won't blow a motor. You can run a lot more than that. Now if I was making over 500 whp on stock internals or if I didn't have fuel and it ran lean then I would agree.

An open deck motor can take 18lbs of boost all.day long. The reason why you need a built motor is if that boost level will make you create more power than the stock internals can handle. I might be at 420whp. So if I have enough fuel and a proper tune then it will be safe. That is unless Honda make every other motor stronger than the Nsx which I highly doubt is the case

I"m having him make the 86mm which i have been told will make 9-10lbs of boost on the 3.2. I'm also having him build an 81mm to try out. That should give me 12lbs which is the maximum you can run on the whipple. I'm going to try the 81mm first and if it is making more than 12lbs I will use the 86mm

You are probably correct with these estimations. FYI, you will get some inlet temperatures as high as 240 degrees by spinning the Whipple that fast.

I'm also putting bigger injectors and an Fic. 12 lbs won't blow a motor. You can run a lot more than that. Now if I was making over 500 whp on stock internals or if I didn't have fuel and it ran lean then I would agree.

OK. Let us know how that goes for you.

OK. Let us know how that goes for you.
I will. The biggest problem with 12lbs is going to be intake temp. I learned alot and spent alot learning when I built my Turbo charged civic 10 years ago. When I sold it I was running 32lbs of boost on C16 fuel making 703whp. To be honest an fmu which is what the comptech kit runs sucks and is old technology. My car at 6lbs running 13.8 a/f is going to break a ring or pop the motor long before 12lbs on a safe tune with a/f in the 11's. There are guys running 500hp on stock internals on S2000 and Nsx. That is dangerous no doubt. Low 400's has been proven safe. As long as you have fuel and no detonation then you are fine. Stock sleeves will hold 18lbs all day. So the only thing I need to watch is air intake temps since the blower after 10lbs wont be too efficient. I have run 12lbs on a Jackson charger which is a Whipple and it was fine.

Back