• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I need a vacume cleaner ASAP...Help

My vacuum cleaner blew up. It's a Bissell and decided to redeposit more than it picked up.

So, now I am looking for a new machine. I was looking at the Hoover machine that was a steam machine for example. If I get a steam machine, is that the same as a steam cleaner plus a vacuum?

Any input is appreciated. Yes, I am a neat-nick. I would be happy to steam clean my carpets every other day... But, I don't want to walk around on wet carpets...

Tried to look at Consumer Reports, but you have to subscribe to the publication. Really didn't want to do that for one opinion, so I thought I would ask this community for their opinion(s).

Thanks.

There's only one vacuum in my book. Dyson. Don't look at anything else. http://www.dyson.com If you have animals or ever let Hal in your house, get the "animal" model. It's great for pet hair.

The steam cleaners are ok. You need to use a regular vacuum first. We have a cheap one that we use for small spots from the kids, but nothing like getting your whole house done by a professional and getting butt raped when they tell you how much the final bill is.

Last edited:
My brother in law just picked up some sort of alternative to the steam cleaner. Instead of using a fluid, I guess it's a dry system? He says it works GREAT! And NO wet floors. Down fall..... it's HUGE because he bought commercial grade.

Last edited:
Our Dyson Monster works so well it grosses me out. It will boggle your mind how much stuff it will pull out every time you vaccum your house.

I had a Hoover Windtunnel that was great. Not super fancy but did an excellent job. I hear good things about Dyson, but something about them bothers me, perhaps the price, perhaps Mr Dyson.
Oreck are butt ugly but very solid.

Miner

+1 on the Dyson. It's not cheap though, but it'll be the last one you buy.
+1 and it adapts to the hoveround trailer hitch!

doug, we've had our dyson animal for 4.5 years - it's nothing short of uh-mazing!

There's only one vacuum in my book. Dyson. Don't look at anything else. http://www.dyson.com If you have animals or ever let Hal in your house, get the "animal" model. It's great for pet hair.

The steam cleaners are ok. You need to use a regular vacuum first. We have a cheap one that we use for small spots from the kids, but nothing like getting your whole house done by a professional and getting butt raped when they tell you how much the final bill is.
punk kids these days... but he's right about the dyson.

as far as carpet cleaner, we have a hoover suck-o-matic something or other and it works great. six months ago i began using oxyclean returned to solution instead of the commercial carpet cleaner stuff from hoover and our carpets look much, much cleaner than before.

wow, that's more that i ever needed to write about carpet care, eh?

Another vote for Dyson. It's amazing how much pet hair it pulled out of the carpet the first time I used it on floors that I thought were clean.

Thats funny, whenever I say the term neat-nick, my friends say that I am showing my age.:wink:

My wife has broken just about every brand of vac known to man. I got fed up with buying $300 vacs every couple of years, so ten years ago I threw down $1200 on a Kirby G7 unit and its still going strong. The main body is made of diecast aluminum and you can replace anything that breaks.

I am not familiar with the Dyson but it sounds like its a good unit for the price.

+1 for the Dyson Animal. My wife's long hair kept killing our other vacuum cleaners. Doesn't even phase the Dyson.

Thats funny, whenever I say the term neat-nick, my friends say that I am showing my age.:wink:

My wife has broken just about every brand of vac known to man. I got fed up with buying $300 vacs every couple of years, so ten years ago I threw down $1200 on a Kirby G7 unit and its still going strong. The main body is made of diecast aluminum and you can replace anything that breaks.

I am not familiar with the Dyson but it sounds like its a good unit for the price.

Kirby is our brand of choice also. Best investment yet. Damn thing lifts the carpet up when you vacuum! Got the inlaws one used on craigslist and it works just fine. Not sure you can break one of these :wink:

+124332132 on the Dyson.

I have one and never looked back. Best VACUUM ever!

I have the DC24 Slim ... I have no carpet in the house, so I use it to vacuum the tile and wood flooring every week.

dyson

I subscribe to Consumer Reports online and had this very same dilemma earlier this year.

Here are the ratings, the score is out of 100.

Model score price
1.Hoover WindTunnel Anniversary Edition U6485-9 73 $230
2.Kenmore Progressive 35922 71 $350
3.Hoover Tempo Widepath U5140-900 70 $80
4.Panasonic MC-UG787 68 $550
5.Hoover WindTunnel Anniversary Edition Bagged U5491-900 68 $140
6.Kenmore Progressive 36932 68 $350
7.Eureka Boss Smart Vac 4870 68 $170
8.Hoover WindTunnel Anniversary Edition Bagless U5786-900 67 $160
9.Dyson Airmuscle DC28 Animal 67 $600
10.Kirby Sentria 67 $1,350

I ended up buying the Hoover Tempo Widepath. It doesn't have the fancy extras of some of the pricier vacuums such as a retractable cord, and it is fairly noisy, but damn if it doesn't suck:) My only disappointment is that I couldn't get it at Wal-Mart. I bought it at Best Buy.

Last edited:
Put us in the dyson camp,but for hardwood my wife feels like our miele is best.

Longterm, the kirby would win. Kinda like a Honda against the rest of the world. I always see them in commercial settings, so that must mean something, no?

Hey fellows,

First, I am sorry to steal this thread. I started a new thread " floor Buffer" since I saw this thread, but I got no feedbacks. I need a floor buffer for marble floor, anyone has any experience of owning one? Thank you

Back