• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

i need to replace my CV boots, any clear DIY?

finally got axle out of hub. You can see blue CV boot I temporarily installed before going to willow springs as a quick fix.
IMG_20120814_184819.jpg

IMG_20120814_184751.jpg

IMG_20120814_181552.jpg

now to get a new axle seal. Trying to get old one out of tranny, not coming off right now.

Thanks man! I'm glad to hear that so now I just got to order a new seal. BTW, whats best way to remove seal? Im trying to remove it but its coming off in pieces and dont want to destroy what I dont have to.

I was able to get mine out easy used a pick tool and both seals pulled out easy they look original from '91 as well. Another method which I don't recommended for drive axel seal, I plan on replacing my crank seal its flush in the hole and no open hole to pick it out from. Slowly drilling a small hole then run a slightly larger diameter screw into it a few turns. Then take a pair of pliers, small screwdriver, or pry tool and pull on the screw pulling the seal out. Obvioulsy this is assuming your replacing the seal and throw out the old ones they are pretty cheap anyway.

Got my driver side axle taken apart to inspect, repack and reboot.

Make your markings for proper reassembly (im trying to figure out why)

more markings

I think Kaz also mentioned this somewhere in his blog as well the roller, spider, housing, and shafts are specially heat treated and hardened several times. You want to place each part back to the original direction and position on reassembly. So before you remove the rollers from the spider, mark them so that you can put them back in their original position after cleaning. I also marked the outboard direction and where each roller came from which spider holder.

You'll also want to mark the spline on the shaft and the spider so that you can keep the original 60deg offset between the two ends of the spider when you remove it to remove & replace the CV boots. I can see how if your off by 1 or 2 teeth or even mess up the position of rollers how it would cause your problems down the road prematurely wearing or damaging the joints.

Yeah I marked which roller went to which leg of the spider. I also marked the spider in relation to the spline.

What I DIDNT do becuse it wasnt in the write up was which spider leg went to which cup hole. Otherwise, I followed his steps.

Im ready to reassemble but can someone tell me what tool I need to tighten this band? And how?

IMG_20120815_145335.jpg

on this link here:
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?6504-Driveshaft-refurbishment&p=59320#post59320

The OP says to look at teh manual and adjust length of driveshaft before securing outer CV boots. Can someone clarify this and let me know what the length should be? I downloaded manual but cant find that info.

Depending which manual you downloaded for the 91 its section 16-10. When I get back to my computer I can post the specs. Also you need the tool to adjust the band.

I broke a new band using the tool according to the directions. It said something like pull it 1/4 inch after a certain point. It looked like it wouldn't go any further, but since this thing spins at great RPM, I attempted what they said and it broke. I didn't do the others that tight. Be careful.

In fact, i could have done the band job with vice grips.

Ok see attached pic for CV length adjustment before securing the band. Also attached is the TSB for driveshaft band tool.

Attachments

• NSX_CV_ADJ_16_10.JPG
    NSX_CV_ADJ_16_10.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 149
  • TSB_98-018_1.jpg
    TSB_98-018_1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 152
  • TSB_98-018_2.jpg
    TSB_98-018_2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 144
Back