• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I picked up a 2001 Lotus Esprit

I bought a 2001 Lotus Esprit this week in a Chicago dealership. It has 20k miles and seems to drive nice. I got about 30 miles from the dealership and the alternator went bad so I had it towed to Chicago Lamborghini and had the alternator replaced. After that incident, I drove it home 750 miles with no issues. It is a pretty comfortable car but you can't be over 6ft 2in or so to fit comfortably. Here is a picture of me at the dealership right before we left.

Rob

Attachments

• Lotussmall.jpg
    Lotussmall.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 2,028
I always loved those cars. Keep us posted on how it performs, the reliability etc...

No worries about you alternator mishap. I remember driving home back in 2001 with my 1993 MR2 (only 12K miles), and the battery exploded on the way home. At close to 160K miles and ten years later, no issues to speak of (knock on wood). :wink:

hope its not a sign of things to come.good luck

I still have the factory Alt in my NSX and its 20 years old and 120K+ miles

still nice I would def drive it

stock V8 pumping 350 HP

only 2 recalls on that year
01 Lotus Esprit V8 Recalls
Recall ID # 01E016000 - AIR BAGS
<TABLE id=closed_10487 class=bg_recall_ovrCntr cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bg_recall_titlecell>Recall Date:</TD><TD>APR 18, 2001</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bg_recall_titlecell>Component:</TD><TD>AIR BAGS</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bg_recall_titlecell>Model Affected:</TD><TD>ESPRIT</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bg_recall_titlecell>Potential Units Affected:</TD><TD>520 Recall Details</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Recall Date:
APR 18, 2001

Model Affected:
2001 LOTUS ESPRIT

Summary:
EQUIPMENT DESCRIPTION: MODEL YEAR 1997 THROUGH 2001 LOTUS ESPRIT VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 1, 1995, AND MARCH 31, 2001. A REPLACEMENT PASSENGER SEAT BELT ASSEMBLY COULD HAVE BEEN INSTALLED IN CERTAIN VEHICLES THAT DO NOT COMPLY WITH FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 208, "OCCUPANT CRASH PROTECTION." THESE SEAT BELT ASSEMBLIES WERE MANUFACTURED WITHOUT A LAP PORTION THAT IS LOCKABLE SO AS TO SECURE A CHILD SAFETY SEAT.

Consequence:
IF AN INCORRECT BELT WAS INSTALLED, THE SEAT BELT WILL NOT BE CAPABLE OF SECURING A CHILD SEAT, WHICH COULD RESULT IN DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY TO THE SEAT OCCUPANT.

Remedy:
CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO BRING THEIR CARS INTO THEIR LOCAL DEALER FOR A FREE REPLACEMENT BELT ASSEMBLY. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN APRIL 26, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT LOTUS CARS USA AT 1-800-245-6887.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
LOTUS CARS OF AMERICA INC
Recall ID # 04V001000 - EQUIPMENT:OTHER:LABELS
<TABLE id=closed_46587 class=bg_recall_ovrCntr cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bg_recall_titlecell>Recall Date:</TD><TD>JAN 05, 2004</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bg_recall_titlecell>Component:</TD><TD>EQUIPMENT:OTHER:LABELS</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bg_recall_titlecell>Model Affected:</TD><TD>ESPRIT</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bg_recall_titlecell>Potential Units Affected:</TD><TD>660 Recall Details</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Recall Date:
JAN 05, 2004

Model Affected:
2001 LOTUS ESPRIT

Summary:
CERTAIN VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO, 208, "OCCUPANT CRASH PROTECTION." CERTAIN AIR BAG WARNING LABELS ARE REQUIRED ON BOTH SUN VISORS AND THE ABOVE VEHICLES FAILED TO HAVE THE REQUIRED LABELS AFFIXED TO THE DRIVER'S SIDE SUN VISOR.

Consequence:
THE ABSENCE OF THE LABELS COULD CREATE A RISK TO MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY IF THE OPERATION OF THE AIR BAG SYSTEM AND THE NEED TO USE SEAT BELTS IS NOT PROPERLY UNDERSTOOD. IMPROPER USAGE COULD CAUSE INJURIES IN THE EVENT OF AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT WHEN THERE IS A CRASH.

Remedy:
OWNERS WILL BE PROVIDED WITH LABELS AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT LOTUS AT 1-800-245-6887.

We had a 1999 at the dealership a few years ago. It was a blast to drive. We put about 20-30k problem free miles. I forget the company but ther is an guy that takes the euro blue and euro red ECU maps over laps them for amazing TQ/Hp increase. The one we had was tuned and was one of the faster cars we have had. With the extra TQ the gear ratios are amazing.

Last edited:
First off there's some black car covering up that sweet gold Buick regal in the picture! I'd love to take that for a spin to walgreens. j/k grats on the beast yo! we need more pics.

First off there's some black car covering up that sweet gold Buick regal in the picture! I'd love to take that for a spin to walgreens. j/k grats on the beast yo! we need more pics.

I'm blown away by the fact that you can identify a Buick from a partial photo.

Esprits are cool, the new one looks amazing. :smile:

Good luck! Looks great.

I *almost* bought an Esprit before my current NSX (a 2001 local car in that sort of metallic red/grape color). Literally had a deposit on, got a PPI, etc, but after a couple of test drives I decided I couldnt get used to the driving position. Ironically it was the Esprit that finalized my decision to just go back to the NSX.

Will always be one of my all time favorites though.

Good luck! Looks great.

I *almost* bought an Esprit before my current NSX (a 2001 local car in that sort of metallic red/grape color). Literally had a deposit on, got a PPI, etc, but after a couple of test drives I decided I couldnt get used to the driving position. Ironically it was the Esprit that finalized my decision to just go back to the NSX.

Will always be one of my all time favorites though.

I am only 5'9" so I fit in it very comfortable. The seat is all the way back so anyone over 6'1" or so would be stretching it.

Back then I always remembered that the car magazines would compare the NSX to the Espirit since they were closer in price tag and performance numbers.

If the new Espirit were to be released I hope Honda would get their act together and:

1. Let me know before u guys that the HSC is back on track so I can dump my NSX before it drops in value
2. see #1

800px-2013_Lotus_Esprit_Front_Quarter.jpg

800px-2013_Lotus_Esprit_Rear.jpg

I'm blown away by the fact that you can identify a Buick from a partial photo.

Esprits are cool, the new one looks amazing. :smile:

Are you sure that's a Regal? It looks like an older Toyota Avalon to me...

i could be wrong.

1999-toyota-avalon-xl_100027913_m.jpg

attachment.php

BTW- Nice Lotus!

Last edited:

i could be wrong.

attachment.php

BTW- Nice Lotus!

I can't believe I know this, but I think you're right. Is that a GX470 behind the the Avalon? :tongue:

I can't believe I know this, but I think you're right. Is that a GX470 behind the the Avalon? :tongue:

i could be wrong.

attachment.php

BTW- Nice Lotus!

Good catch, I guess I must have been dreaming for it to be a sweet Regal. Avalons not so bad. Any idea what year? Heard they had 4 cup holders in the 2002 model!

Good catch, I guess I must have been dreaming for it to be a sweet Regal. Avalons not so bad. Any idea what year? Heard they had 4 cup holders in the 2002 model!

probably a 1998 or 99

I think you will still find the interior to be exciting...

1998.toyota.avalon.10401-E.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is genuine plastic wood there on the dash...

OK

what's up with Hijacking the thread and turning it from a Lotus Esprit Thread into a Buick Thread? is this some kind of subtle humor? :biggrin:

And back on the Lotus, I just can't believe how fresh it looks even after all these years. What an amazing timeless vehicle. I always had a soft spot for Lotus.

Congrats, what a dream car

Yeah, back on topic:smile:
DSC00804.jpg

What do you think of it compared to the NSX? I love the motor and trans. But I would say the NSX has a better overall fit and finish. I would say the stock Esprit feels about as fast as a 3.2 NSX with a CTSC.

Last edited:
Yeah, back on topic:smile:
DSC00804.jpg

What do you think of it compared to the NSX? I love the motor and trans. But I would say the NSX has a better overall fit and finish. I would say the stock Esprit feels about as fast as a 3.2 NSX with a CTSC.

What is the tint on that stain used on the house and garage? I like it.

Esprit has a joke powertrain.

V8 that needs twin turbos to make a whopping 300HP~

:rolleyes:
Im sure you have never driven one with that opinion.

The 3.5-liter V8 generates 350whp there is a difference. Lotus rates there cars at the wheels, and its also extremely Detuned for the American market. Euro ECU FTW!

Very nice car, ironically, it was maintenance/upkeep cost worries that kept me away from Esprits.

First timing belt and water pump change is on Lotus. Parts are surprisingly not as expensive as you may think.

What is the tint on that stain used on the house and garage? I like it.
Sikkens Cetol 1 Stain

Last edited:
Im sure you have never driven one with that opinion.

The 3.5-liter V8 generates 350whp there is a difference. Lotus rates there cars at the wheels, and its also extremely Detuned for the American market. Euro ECU FTW!...

I've never driven one.... was never interested in one.

There V8 engine was detuned from a potential 500 bhp to 350 bhp to prevent gearbox damage due to the fragility of the Renault tranny.

As tested by Motor Trend Magazine in 1998 0-60 MPH came in at 4.4 seconds and a top speed of over 175 mph. Sounds more like a 350 crank HP car than 350WHP car considering the weight.

The V8 engines built between 1997 to 2000 are noted to suffer from a leaking cylinder liner problem due to a breakdown in the liner sealant if the engine overheats, resulting in water leaking into the cylinders and ending up in the sump.

I've never driven one.... was never interested in one.

There V8 engine was detuned from a potential 500 bhp to 350 bhp to prevent gearbox damage due to the fragility of the Renault tranny.

As tested by Motor Trend Magazine in 1998 0-60 MPH came in at 4.4 seconds and a top speed of over 175 mph. Sounds more like a 350 crank HP car than 350WHP car considering the weight.

The V8 engines built between 1997 to 2000 are noted to suffer from a leaking cylinder liner problem due to a breakdown in the liner sealant if the engine overheats, resulting in water leaking into the cylinders and ending up in the sump.

Wouldn't know never had an issue with the one we had. Never heard of that. Only issue was the tac bouncing around. It ended up being a bad fuse.

Also if you're going to copy and past don't just post what works for your argument the issue was more specific of the 1996 V8s and was fixed on the newer V8s.

Last edited:
Back