• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Iceland's volcanic ash halts flights across Europe

I've saw the effects of the sun on the volcanic cloud of ash, the evening the colors are splendid, the spectrum goes from the mauve to the yellow while passing by the gray, red, orange... very beautiful! moreover, it's the first time of my life which the sky has been without planes for 5 days… can be that the planes will be authorized has to steal this evening but, this is not yet certain because the volcano spits still much of ash… because of that, Mark cannot send my parts…

Last edited:
The funniest thing is NONE of the new anchors are trying to say the name of the Volcano site. They just say the "Volcano in Iceland".

It is the Eyjafjallajokull glacier!! LOL

This eruption is actually becoming the killing blow to my business and making my daily life hell. My business depends on radioactive material and the Chalk River Reactors in Canada have been down for a year and a half forcing my company to purchase from the reactors in the Netherlands. Now we can't get material from there either. Look up "nuclear medicine crisis" and read how the industry is imploding thanks to the short sighted nature of our government not wanting nuclear reactors within the United States. This is what happens when you outsource life sustaining products. :mad:

Anybody remember the City of Edinburgh's plight?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

Ive read an extended writing on it and it was truly amazing.

I don't recall this event, but the write-up you linked is incredible: "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control. I trust you are not in too much distress." :eek:

I don't recall this event, but the write-up you linked is incredible: "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control. I trust you are not in too much distress." :eek:

If i remember correctly they did a reconstruction on discovery channel on this event.
Ever so interesting.

It really sucks. My daughter (26) lives in London and was supposed to be in Switzerland this past Monday to receive an award for a publication. She could not get there and was so upset and we had to see and hear her cry on Skype.
Our planet has really been slamming us around these past couple of years.

It really sucks. My daughter (26) lives in London and was supposed to be in Switzerland this past Monday to receive an award for a publication. She could not get there and was so upset and we had to see and hear her cry on Skype.
Our planet has really been slamming us around these past couple of years.

Could she take a ferry? Then some sort of train or other public transportation? I read that they are starting to allow flights out of the UK starting tonight btw

This eruption is actually becoming the killing blow to my business and making my daily life hell. My business depends on radioactive material and the Chalk River Reactors in Canada have been down for a year and a half forcing my company to purchase from the reactors in the Netherlands. Now we can't get material from there either. Look up "nuclear medicine crisis" and read how the industry is imploding thanks to the short sighted nature of our government not wanting nuclear reactors within the United States. This is what happens when you outsource life sustaining products. :mad:
I figured they would ship that stuff in a......ship, rather than flying radioactive material.

Nope, they fly it every day. You have likely ridden on a plane with isotopes in the back. They are low level with short half lives. By the time it would arrive on ship, it wouldn't even be radioactive any longer. "There is a world around that you don't even see."

I'm sorry to hear this Juice. I know there must be thousands out there getting seriously hurt by this occurrence. I read about several extremely high end food (cheese etc.) producers out of Italy that sell mainly to the states that are facing substantial cash flow issues given they cannot get their product to market. I spent several hours last night trying to pin point which if any firms might be sufficiently hurt/helped by this fiasco to effect their stock price but didn't have any luck (outside of the obvious, air lines etc.).

I'm sorry to hear this Juice. I know there must be thousands out there getting seriously hurt by this occurrence. I read about several extremely high end food (cheese etc.) producers out of Italy that sell mainly to the states that are facing substantial cash flow issues given they cannot get their product to market. I spent several hours last night trying to pin point which if any firms might be sufficiently hurt/helped by this fiasco to effect their stock price but didn't have any luck (outside of the obvious, air lines etc.).
my wife and i were discussing this topic last weekend: about a month ago the icelandic volcano was attracting tourists... and now it's seriously influencing (if only temporarily) several segments of commerce and climate in some areas.

we were wondering out loud about the chances of this evolving to a significantly greater level of impact on the planet than originally envisioned... the planet's gonna do what it's gonna do and we're just along for the ride.

. the planet's gonna do what it's gonna do and we're just along for the ride.

The big one (meteor), when it hits, will settle all this for us and we won't have to worry any more about this small-time chicken-sh*t weather. :eek:

Back