• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Idea to lower intake air temp

If a oil cooler was placed inline with the supercharger oil supply line would it help cool the intake temperature? I have heard that a oil cooler can help cool the oil up to a hundred degrees. If the supercharger is running cooler then it won't heat up the air as much. Just an idea but I am thinking of trying it. Would this help any thoughts. This is on a BBSC setup.

The majority of the heat is generated by the actual compression of the air, not heat radiating from the SC housing as such. So an oil cooler will not have a significant impact on inlet air temp, but if you track the car a lot you may find the stock cooler less than adequate. People wanting to run a bit more boost but without an aftercooler or who find that even at normal boost the intake air gets too high when run hard at the track might consider water injection, but I wouldn’t really recommend it for most. Just one more thing to tune and tweak.

Interesting point...

So for people that go from 6lb to 9lb on CompTech or add the blow off valve and the aftercooler on the BBSC - do they need to retune the entire F/A map?

What do you turbo guys do when you turn up the boost a little? Do you have to completely tune to each level of boost?

The oil return line from the BBSC (Paxton) blower to the oil pan is too small.

I hope to have a project complete before NSXPO, where I use -8 (1/2") stainless steel lines to a remote filter location and a B&M "stacked plate" oil cooler. Currently evaluating suitable locations for the cooler.

Slightly off topic - original post was towards cooling the intake air; whereas, this one is oriented towards cooling the lube oil. Nonetheless, sjs is correct. The increase of inlet air temperature is much more a function of supercharger compression, than it is the radiant heat from the blower housing. The only effective way of cooling the air charge is with an aftercooler. I will have one.

[This message has been edited by AndyVecsey (edited 18 August 2002).]

I agree that the rise of the intake temp is due to the compression of the air. But it would seem to me if you could lower the running temp of the supercharger then it has to not heat the air as much passing through it. If you put your hand in front of the relief valve you can feel that the air bleeding off is quite hot. While that air is coming out there isn't much compression to generate that amount of heat. I also am getting the aftercooler but I was thinking this may help also. I just want to maximize my setup any way I can.

Yeah, perhaps there is a small difference at idle, for example, due to the heated housing of the SC. However, when you really get under way, the volume of air going through the SC is going to be much, much greater and you that effect will really be negated - but unfortunately replaced by the heat due to compression. Have you installed a cold-air intake yet? This will make a BIG difference.

Yes I did install a cold air kit I think it was called the home depot kit. I actually did notice a difference. Tomorrow my headers will be installed and I expect to see a big difference. Thanks for all the replies makes more sense now.

Originally posted by Brian-nsx-sc:
If a oil cooler was placed inline with the supercharger oil supply line would it help cool the intake temperature? I have heard that a oil cooler can help cool the oil up to a hundred degrees. If the supercharger is running cooler then it won't heat up the air as much. Just an idea but I am thinking of trying it. Would this help any thoughts. This is on a BBSC setup.

You can also try octane boost from Bardahl. It will prevent pinging and cools down the mixture.

Gerard

Back