• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ideas for DIY fire pit/dining area

I've been wanting to build an outdoor living space in my back yard and have come up with a solution that addresses some of my space concerns. I'm looking for any kind of input to make it the best possible set up.

I can get pics up of the back yard to help with visualization later on.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Imagine an outdoor stone dining area (sort of like a circular bar or countertop). In the center is a fire pit/grill. Food can be cooked in the middle and served around the edge. The idea is to seat at least 8, hopefully 10 people around the table/pit. It may have to be C-shaped in order to allow the cook to actually reach the food by standing in the gap of the C.

The way my back yard is now, I have a pool and the whole area is paved. I've been looking at some DIY projects on youtube, and they all start in the dirt. I figure I can go to Home Depot and get advice for building on the pool deck, but does anyone have a similar set up to what I'm describing?

What do you like/dislike? How do you deal with bugs? We use citronella, and the fire itself works pretty good in my experience as well. Any other solutions?

Also, I'm thinking that with a stone surface, I'd like some way to protect the dishes. Place settings could help, but I'm hoping I can integrate the solution into the build itself.

Something like this, but all made of stone.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gri...kbVZ-8Nti4ogSmlYCACw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#imgdii=_

I can't get the images to post on the work computer, but the link has lots of similar ideas.

The main difference is, I want mine to be integrated with the backyard to feel like it is a permanent structure.

Any input is welcome.

Back