• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

idling troubles

My car has a rough idle up to 2k. Then it smooths out. Also every once in a while it will surge form 800 to 500 when idling at a redlight or sitting. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and how it was corrected.

I would check the base idle setting, the fast idle valve and the throttle body. You find more on that with a search with these words. It may be also an issue if your car is a TBW or not (throttle by wire).

Is the car giving you any check engine lights? I would see if the computer is throwing any codes, the procedure is in the FAQ.

I remember the same question was posted about a month ago and most of the experts said that some roughness in the idle at that rpm range is completely normal.

Good luck

Get some Gumout Carb Cleaner.

Remove the air cleaner and have someone rev the engine(warm or course) to about 3Krpm. Spray the card cleaner into the throttle body, if the engine dies, restart and spray a little less:). Repeat a few times.

Then with the engine off, remove the four hoses at the top of the throttle body and spray some cleaner in each one (this part seems more critical on the TBW cars) but do it just the same. If you get a engine check light, just reset it by pulling the clock fuse.

If the throttle body is your problem all will be cured:).

HTH,
LarryB

Back