• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

If someone tries to take a picture of your car how would you react

OK here’s the story

I bought a new Olympus C-770 digital camera. I wanted to try it out, so I went to this exotic car showroom close to my place. There I started snapping car pictures randomly knowing that it was allowed to shoot pictures over there. Then, I was at the parking lot of the showroom snapping pictures of the cars at the parking lot which belonged to the showroom. I saw this normally looking Bentley GT continental. As I was about to take a picture of it. This guy start shouting “ Hey, why are taking pictures”. I was surprised, I asked him “ is it your car?” he answered again with a very ugly tone “ Yes it’s my car”. I replied calmly “ so sorry” and I walked away.

Now, there was no way I could have known that it was a private car because it was parked inside the showroom parking lot along with the other showroom cars. What upset me is his tone of voice. He could have said kindly not to take pictures, but he’d rather shout it out as if we’re in a fight or something.

Now I want your opinion. Did I do something so bad that I deserve what I got – meaning, if you were that guy and I tried to take a picture of your NSX would you do as he did? , or is that guy just a jerk. Or am I being to sensitive about the subject all together?

I don't know your laws but here in Germany it's only allowed to take fotos in public places (roads etc.) without permission. If you want to take pics in a private area you have to have an allowance by the owner of this area. And even if you have this allowance or when you're in public area you can't publish pics with private people on it that are not "persons of common interest" or "of time history" - i.e. in some way prominent. In some newer judgements not even this was allowed when this person (Princess Caroline of Monaco) is in a "private situation".

It's also not allowed to publish pics of children of prominent persons.

For me personally I don't mind if others take pics of my car - I know there are a few of it spread over the net.

cmhs75 said:
OK here’s the story

I saw this normally looking Bentley GT continental. As I was about to take a picture of it. This guy start shouting “ Hey, why are taking pictures”. I was surprised, I asked him “ is it your car?” he answered again with a very ugly tone “ Yes it’s my car”. I replied calmly “ so sorry” and I walked away.

Maybe he spent the good part of yesterday as a defendant in court looking at blown up photos of his car. You taking more photos just reminds him of the experience. (I'm just kidding).

You are not being sensitive about the subject. Some people are naturally paranoid. He didn't know your intentions. It's always polite to ask permission if possible, but in your case there was no way to know. I would have done the same. :cool:

I have no problem if people want to take a picture of my car. That guy sounds like an a**hole.

When my car is sitting in front of my store, people are constantly stoping and taking pictures. Some get out and stand next to it, some ask to sit in it. I think its neat that I have some vehicles that people like that much. Unless they dont ask to get in it(some just open the doors and get in on their own)I'm usually real relaxed about it. I get it with my H1 alot too. Most people are just curious what the cars are like on the inside. I was at a dealership that had a Murcie the other day and I asked to sit in it. Its fun to imagine what it would be like to drive something you dont have :wink:That guy was just a little over paranoid.

I watched a guy drive his Viper into a handicap parking spot at the local grocery store and run into the store. I took a pic and he didn't like it at all. Gee, I wonder why?

Maybe he thought you worked for the IRS and was building a case against the guy's lavish spendings with corporate money. :smile:

I think that guy was an a-hole..

I am flattered when someone wants to take pictures or ask questions..

It reminds me of how fortunate I am to have the opportunity to own such a fine automobile...

KGP said:
I watched a guy drive his Viper into a handicap parking spot at the local grocery store and run into the store. I took a pic and he didn't like it at all. Gee, I wonder why?

I went to a Burger King a while ago and there was a Corvette that was parked at an angle in two handicapped spots. I called the police and when they pulled up he ran out to move it but they gave him a ticket anyway.

It made my whole day!

Carguy! said:
I went to a Burger King a while ago and there was a Corvette that was parked at an angle in two handicapped spots. I called the police and when they pulled up he ran out to move it but they gave him a ticket anyway.

It made my whole day!

You are evil, but next time call earlier :biggrin:

Maybe he was driving a stolen car; he doesn’t want that picture end up in the courtroom :biggrin:

Carguy! said:
... when they pulled up he ran out to move it ...
Yea, I'm sure he wasn't on crutches. :rolleyes: :biggrin: While I certainly don't condone it, it's often people like this that wonder why someone keyed their car.

KGP said:
Yea, I'm sure he wasn't on crutches. :rolleyes: :biggrin: While I certainly don't condone it, it's often people like this that wonder why someone keyed their car.

Not only do I like it when someone takes a pic of my car, I usually ask them if they would like to sit in it and have me take their picture. The best part about having is sharing. For those who have not yet found this out, I hope you do before life is through.. hey it rymes :)

I would have cracked that guy! A simple "i'm sorry, but I dont want any pictures taken of my car" would have done just fine. Maybe a black eye would have made him a little more respectful in the future... :cool:

I would approach the photographer to find out who he is working for. Then I would decide whether to destory the camera and/or the cameraman. In my line of business you can not be too careful. :D

Viper and Corvette owners park in handicap spaces for a reason. :D It's not nice of you gentlemen to make fun of those with disabilities such as a tiny penis. :D

Have a nice day.

Took this pick w/o the owners knowing. Mine is the one on the right. Later on I found the owner of the white one and he was :cool:. I think the guy was just an a-hole. The only time id be pissed is if they where snapping close ups of the licence plate, window seals, & locking mechanisms...for obvious reasons. :biggrin:

wNjgzOTMzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNjgzOTM0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Well, that’s a relief.

At least I know now that he’s just a jerk.

I’m developing a theory. Maybe the guy had a glitch in his Bentley hence the reason why he was back at the showroom. And he was already pissed off. And then when I mistakenly tried to take a picture, I just made him snap.

But I’d still blame him for not being polite.

Often people forget about being polite although it’s so important in a society.

At least I know the majority of NSX owners ( and NSX admirers) are on the good side of humanity.

I was chased in my car for about 10 mins during stop and go traffic with his digi cam:D Finally, when came side to side.........I said, wassup doc? :D

Well... right out of the dictionary...

asshole

ass·hole [áss hol] (plural ass·holes) noun
1.someone who snaps at others taking pictures of their car; very unpleasant person (taboo insult)
2.offensive term: offensive term for the anus (taboo offensive)
U.K. term arsehole

Encarta® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

Now post some pics of the pics you took... :D

I think you're being too sensitive and should'a just flashed him with the camera right in his face, hahaha. Just kidding about the flash it in his face thing, but yeah, you are taking it too seriously.

People, especially young men, pull into my shop to take pictures of cars in the parking lot that are cool. I had a fellow stop this week to take some pics of a sweet copper Prowler I just did some work on.
I don't let people take photos of the cars when they are crashed unless they have proper authorization.

Question: Why do so many blurr or obscure their license plates when they post pics here? Can't anyone that is on the road see them?

Some may be afraid that any photos of their car (especialy with licence plates) could help gangs to track their next victims (steal the special car that was ordered by someone, rob or kidnap the owner etc.). I'm pretty sure some of the eastern european gangs have the possibility to get the adress of the owner when they have the licence plate dates.

e.g.: As I tracked from your licence plate in your avatar you're in Smith Street...
(No - just kidding, have it from your website). :rolleyes:

Back