• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ignition switch question.

i have a 92 NSX i bought last year and i had just replaced the clutch it was great until lately i am experiencing intermittent NO START problem. I searched and found few thread about the problem. so i started looking under the dash and found few concerns. fact: battery is new, it clicks when you turn the ignition switch, it takes bunch of attempt then it will eventually starts. hot or cold..

1. i noticed that the wire harness on the ignition switch two of the wires are shorted out intentionally with a alligator clip, the (black and yellow wire and the white blue wire). why is that??is there any particular reason why the old owner did that??what are the possible problem that he had to shorted this two wires together? i removed it for now but im just curious why.

2 the clutch switch, under there with the clutch pedal just left of the steering column i found 2 switches on top of each other, the one on top has a thin wires with yellow connector and the the bottom bit bigger capsule like switch with gray/black connector. what are they? which one is the clutch switch. i assume its the smaller one on the top (the little one since when you depressed the pedal it realeses the bigger one.but i wanna make sure.

3.how to remove the ignition switch?? any how to pictures out here? EDIT*nevermind this part i found pix on wiki

thanks for all the help primers!!

Last edited:
Sounds like the PO was a DIY artist :confused:.

Seach on "ignition switch" and "main relay" and get ready to read (lots of info). Either could be your problem and both are easy fixes. Check the battery connections and make sure they're tight. Check all grounds, battery and engine bay.

Good Luck and keep us informed on what you find.

Or you could just go to the Wiki (off the red action bar at the top of most pages) and under Repairing Your NSX - Engine, you will find a couple of items under "won't start". It will probably save you from plowing through piles of threads

ok i pulled out the ignition switch and cleaned up the seems like a spark burnt around the plastick cover..cleaned it all and greased it then installed it back then same problem. im thinking it was bypassed by the previous owner or mechanic due to not making a good contact and cause to spark..so replacement is neccesary. before i took it out it still starts eventually and remain running. but after the clean up and reinstall now its starts for a second and dies. so im replacing the main relay and the switch to make sure.. but thanks for all the help !

ok i pulled out the ignition switch and cleaned up the seems like a spark burnt around the plastick cover..cleaned it all and greased it then installed it back then same problem. im thinking it was bypassed by the previous owner or mechanic due to not making a good contact and cause to spark..so replacement is neccesary. before i took it out it still starts eventually and remain running. but after the clean up and reinstall now its starts for a second and dies. so im replacing the main relay and the switch to make sure.. but thanks for all the help !

Mine did just that start-stop symptom when the ignition switch went. Mechanic successfully diagnosed it by not letting the key return all the way back to the 1030 position, with gentle torque, and the car kept running. Let go, it died. Saved having to do the relay.

I am thinking it is the starter contacts -

You can verify this by listening to where the click comes from, if it comes from the engine bay (more specifically the starter) then there you go.

Very common Honda (and all car) problem, you can easily pull the starter and change the contacts, once you have it apart you can go to most local auto parts stores and they wil have them, only a few dollars. You could also change the starter but that seems like a waste for $3 worth of contacts.

If you leave it, it will soon enough not start at all.

ok got the new switch,new main relay installed start it up then she goes!!was so happy!!LOL I let it run for a minute or two and i turned it off, tried starting it again then click!!Fucc!!my bubble burst!!!! numerous times i tried and finally started again! this time i let it run for 10 minutes. then i shut it off again and tried to start it again and it started right away. did that for few times and it never failed again!i hope that's it. but i will check the starter contacts this weekend and clean it up!! battery is secured and very clean grounding are ok too.

one last question though, where is the starter on the 92 NSX is located??is it in the back or the front? im sure i can find it! its dark now so i will try this weekend.

thanks again Prime!

check your ground wires. I also switched my ignition switch and the main relay. It still had problem started every once in awhile. I saw one of my ground wire is corroded. I went to an autozone and picked another one up for around 5 bucks. So far I haven't had any problem since. Crossing my fingers now.

I had an intermittant no-start problem with my '92 several years ago. In my case, there was nothing at all when I tried to start it--not even a click--and all of the dash lights worked. In my case, it was the clutch no-start switch. I disconnected it and short-circuited the wiring to it. The problem has now been gone for about 3 or 4 years.

Another thing to check is the connection of the wire to the starter solenoid (ounted on top of the starter). When I was trying to diagnose my problem a number of Primers suggested that that could also be aproblem. the solution, if that is the problem is to crimp the connector a bit to insure a tight fit on the solenoid

problem solved!!woohhoooo!!

looking at the starter unit to plan on how to work around those tight space under the coolant hoses i found out that the terminal "B" is loose..tightened em up and she fires up everytime!! wheeewww!! iam glad i lifted the lil rubber boot cover..bright side! i have a brand new switch and a brand new main relay assy..lol!!

thanks again gentlemen!

Back