• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I'm at Shanghai

My friend have to leave the country for work the last minute and now I'm at Shanghai for the weekend without any night life. :tongue: Any NSXers at Shanghai? I'm staying at the Hyatt.

night life in SH is UNBELIEVABLE! even better than HK.

be a sailor or priate, go out and explore!:wink:

go to club '97, it's very well known world wide and there are other bars u can hop around.

also "Mao Ming" street has many bars there too.

if you dont' know the way, hop on taxi cab and the driver can point you to the right way. ask a few though, careful with rip off taxi driver.

Good luck and enjoy!:wink:

oh and don't forget you need to come back. it's a common problem.

Baby Face has a good mix of locals and ex pats it seems. Awesome you can get around the entire city in a taxi for like $2 each way.

Baby Face has a good mix of locals and ex pats it seems. Awesome you can get around the entire city in a taxi for like $2 each way.

$16 RMB ($2) taxi ride around the city for the most expensive city in china? when was the last time you were there?!

probably more than 10 years ago. :rolleyes:

$16 RMB ($2) taxi ride around the city for the most expensive city in china? when was the last time you were there?!
I was there 3 months ago for just over a week. How about you?

I guess I can't say the *entire* city. It's broken up into zones I believe. But one zone encompasses every part I'd want to be in, whether it be for business or nightlife. Includes all the major hotels/biz district, the Bund, riverfront, shopping/Chipu, etc. The fare was the same everytime I took a taxi somewhere. 14RMB I think.

The cab ride from the airport into Shanghai took around 1 hour, mostly at freeway speeds. Cost was about $20US.

Last edited:
I was there 3 months ago for just over a week. How about you?

so what's the starting meter for taxi there? you can't even get 5km for $2, in fact you can't even fill up a tank of gas for with that, how can you get around the city for $2 one way?

standard of living in SH is like here at the states, definetly not cheap.

Not cheap for Chinese people. Still very cheap for Americans, though that's changing fast. The average Shanghainese makes around $7kUS/year, depending on the source of the estimate. Census records aren't very good in China, and even if they were, things are changing too fast for them to be valid for long anyway. Great 1-hour massages can be had downtown for about $8US.
Cab drivers are definitely not getting rich there. The person I spoke to wasn't sure, but he thought cab drivers paid a monthly rental of about 5000RMB/mo for the cabs. On top of that they have to pay for gas (and maintenance?), which costs about the same as in the US. So they spend most of the month just trying to cover their expenses, and a few days making gravy.

I just got back from 2 wks in china and the air pollution was so bad. There was never a day that we could see more than a mile and some days only 1/4 mile.
I would like to know if this is normal or did i just go at the wrong time.
We were in several cities and it was the same everywhere.If it was not for this it could have been one of the most amazing places ever.

so what's the starting meter for taxi there? you can't even get 5km for $2, in fact you can't even fill up a tank of gas for with that, how can you get around the city for $2 one way?

standard of living in SH is like here at the states, definetly not cheap.

Meter starts at RMB 11...and it takes <20 RMB from Four Seasons to the Bund at worst.

Regarding living standard...yes, it's definitely not cheap for locals.

:biggrin:
Shanghai has most Ferrari in the world but not sure about NSX......

Oops, i think Hong Kong has most Ferrari and exotic cars in the world. And in China, GuangZhou has more exotic cars than ShangHai :biggrin:

Back