• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I'm Back!

Well...sort of lol. It's been two years. Here's the recap.

My beloved 91 Berlina #1120 remains in the fine care of Will (jazzman) where it happily prowls the back roads of rural Pennsylvania, the roars of its Fujitsubo Super Ti echoing through the valley in its full JDM glory. If there is anyone as obsessive and fastidious about the NSX as me, it is Will. I rest easy knowing it is there.

My 13 DBA GT-R (also #1120 ) is gone. It was an awesome ownership experience. When I was done with it, it was a fully tuned FBO beast of a car. 2.7 seconds to 60. It would do 10.9 second quarters on the way to Starbucks. It did things in the corners I did not think a car could do. But, it's a funny thing once you've been to the top of the mountain. It kind of gets, well, routine. I found myself wondering what's next? 458? Gallardo? R8? McLaren? NSX v2? But then it hit me- all of those cars are pretty much the same car as my GT-R. I mean, they all have their facets, but the performance is about the same. I would just be buying the same experience in a different shell. The more I thought about it, the more I soured on it.

But then, I saw Chris Harris driving the Ferrari FXXK. He gushed about the pure driving experience, the noise, the performance, and how almost no one will be able to access that kind of experience due to the price and Ferrari's strict ownership criteria. However, I found myself thinking he was wrong. My thoughts wandered to those crazy Best Motoring videos with Gansan and Tsuchiya-san just thrashing those NSX-R cars around the circuit. Or, the battles at 10,000 rpm. It was the same experience that Chris Harris was gushing about. And then it hit me- any of those other cars are just not me. Neither was the Nissan. My car is the NSX and, well, that's where I belong.

Today, there is a new twin turbo V6 car in my garage. A Ford F-150 Supercrew Ecoboost. I love it. It goes everywhere and...it can tow 13,000 pounds. ;)

So, I'm back on the forum and I've got a plan. Who knows where it will go (the kids are still 4 and 2), but I finally realized where my automotive home is. A couple initial questions might give you guys a clue though:

1. What is the paint code for Championship White?
2. Thoughts on the best trans setup for a road course? USDM 5 speed w/ Giken 4.44 or 6-speed with Giken 4.06? Does ITB 3.5 stroker change that equation?
3. Do you really need the HVAC unit under the dash for the track?
4. Any info on the KSP Engineering Stage 2 cams (I will check with Kaz)? Looks like a potential alternative to Toda Spec C.

:biggrin::biggrin::cool:

It's nice to see some of the old faces still here. It's a shame about Shawn though- he was a good dude.

Stay tuned.

Honcho

Ha ha the boomerang of car ownership...nsx......welcome back to the marque......:biggrin:

And so it goes, welcome back to the bosom of NSX mania. You may try and get rid of it, but it just keep pulling you back in. Welcome back.

1. Nh-0

well...sort of lol. It's been two years. Here's the recap.

My beloved 91 berlina #1120 remains in the fine care of will (jazzman) where it happily prowls the back roads of rural pennsylvania, the roars of its fujitsubo super ti echoing through the valley in its full jdm glory. If there is anyone as obsessive and fastidious about the nsx as me, it is will. I rest easy knowing it is there.

My 13 dba gt-r (also #1120 ) is gone. It was an awesome ownership experience. When i was done with it, it was a fully tuned fbo beast of a car. 2.7 seconds to 60. It would do 10.9 second quarters on the way to starbucks. It did things in the corners i did not think a car could do. But, it's a funny thing once you've been to the top of the mountain. It kind of gets, well, routine. I found myself wondering what's next? 458? Gallardo? R8? Mclaren? Nsx v2? But then it hit me- all of those cars are pretty much the same car as my gt-r. I mean, they all have their facets, but the performance is about the same. I would just be buying the same experience in a different shell. The more i thought about it, the more i soured on it.

But then, i saw chris harris driving the ferrari fxxk. He gushed about the pure driving experience, the noise, the performance, and how almost no one will be able to access that kind of experience due to the price and ferrari's strict ownership criteria. However, i found myself thinking he was wrong. My thoughts wandered to those crazy best motoring videos with gansan and tsuchiya-san just thrashing those nsx-r cars around the circuit. Or, the battles at 10,000 rpm. It was the same experience that chris harris was gushing about. And then it hit me- any of those other cars are just not me. Neither was the nissan. My car is the nsx and, well, that's where i belong.

Today, there is a new twin turbo v6 car in my garage. A ford f-150 supercrew ecoboost. I love it. It goes everywhere and...it can tow 13,000 pounds. ;)

so, i'm back on the forum and i've got a plan. Who knows where it will go (the kids are still 4 and 2), but i finally realized where my automotive home is. A couple initial questions might give you guys a clue though:

1. What is the paint code for championship white?
2. Thoughts on the best trans setup for a road course? Usdm 5 speed w/ giken 4.44 or 6-speed with giken 4.06? Does itb 3.5 stroker change that equation?
3. Do you really need the hvac unit under the dash for the track?
4. Any info on the ksp engineering stage 2 cams (i will check with kaz)? Looks like a potential alternative to toda spec c.

:biggrin::biggrin::cool:

It's nice to see some of the old faces still here. It's a shame about shawn though- he was a good dude.

Stay tuned.

Honcho

Ohhh Man, Knew it was just a matter of time. Getting the popcorn ready to see what's in store now.

What the line on the Movie (Can't remember the name of the Movie/Show), but it goes like....

"When you think you are out they just keep pulling you back in"....:eek:

Welcome back.

Bram

Welcome back! You explained well why I haven't sold my NSX yet while keeping the door open for other cars.

The NSX hits the sweet spot

Thanks Regan. I'm so happy to see you've stuck with it. This time around, I will not be constrained by the demands of street/daily driving. I will realize my NSX vision fully this time. :) The purest expression of what I think Honda intended. What do you think: used NSX-R or JRZ RS One? I don't want to mess with the adjustment voodoo of double and triple adjustable. I was also thinking about a custom Penske setup...
Also, how does the Masiv rad compare to the Koyo? My Koyo on #1120 was rock solid even after a 20 minute session at 95F at 6,000ft. But that car did not have ITBs...

My $0.02.

Glad you're back with us!

NSX-R vs JRZ RS One - Though i've never tried the JRZ RS One I do know the NSX-R setup is just much too stiff for the road. If you do get the 2 way adjustable JRZ's I can help you with initial settings. The downside to the JRZs as i've come to learn is due to them having such a wide range it's much easier to incorporate poor settings. I'd try to steer you towards the 2-ways if budget allows. If not, perhaps the KW V3s though I think the JRZs will yield you more smiles per $ honestly.

MASIV is hands down a more efficient rad than the Koyo. However, the Koyo is probably a better OEM replacement if considering costs. We can overheat the Koyos here in Socal and it is in these extreme conditions where the MASIV shines. If you don't need the high performance the Koyo is a good OEM replacement but if you're OEM rad is fine i'd save the money and keep the OEM. I hope that makes sense.

ITBs - I'm not sure if the OEM motor with ITBs will cause much heat output variance. It's probably the same. Though if you upped your displacement to say... 3.5-3.8L I'd assume the cooling requirements would be the same as a 350-400wHP FI engine. I can say the MASIV rad performed extremely well in NSXPO 2015 Palm Springs. It handled the desert heat amazingly well in a FI car. It was fine in Coz's 550+wHP as well but I wouldn't steer you towards it unless you need it.
Thanks Regan. I'm so happy to see you've stuck with it. This time around, I will not be constrained by the demands of street/daily driving. I will realize my NSX vision fully this time. :) The purest expression of what I think Honda intended. What do you think: used NSX-R or JRZ RS One? I don't want to mess with the adjustment voodoo of double and triple adjustable. I was also thinking about a custom Penske setup...
Also, how does the Masiv rad compare to the Koyo? My Koyo on #1120 was rock solid even after a 20 minute session at 95F at 6,000ft. But that car did not have ITBs...

What the line on the Movie (Can't remember the name of the Movie/Show), but it goes like....

"When you think you are out they just keep pulling you back in"....:eek:

Welcome back.
Bram

That was "The Godfather: Book 3". Remember the scene well.

Honcho! Welcome back bro'. Y' gotta get back East for a day or two. She's waitin' here for ya' to come climb into the saddle and take her for a ride. You won't believe how the handling feels now after all the work Ben did on the steering rack bushings and the front suspension bushings. "Tighter than a bull's ass in fly weather" as my ol' man says.

Pullin' the corn popper out of the cabinet...

Oh, and Bram, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

Last edited:
I do know the NSX-R setup is just much too stiff for the road.

I have the NSX-R suspension in my car and feel it's fine on the road. It really depends on the quality of the roads in your area combined with your comfort expectations. In my case it even passed the wifey test-- she's never complained about it feeling too harsh.

I've often read that the quality of the roads in LA are among the worst in the US, so perhaps that's explains your differing opinion.

I have the NSX-R suspension in my car and feel it's fine on the road. It really depends on the quality of the roads in your area combined with your comfort expectations. In my case it even passed the wifey test-- she's never complained about it feeling too harsh.

I've often read that the quality of the roads in LA are among the worst in the US, so perhaps that's explains your differing opinion.
Yes, suspension is always subjective. Take BB's advice since it's a good one.

One way to think about this project is a NSX version of a GT3 RS (a car I got really close to buying but for my final judgment above). Thus, there is a certain elegance in the NSX-R suspension, which is Honda's vision of the same kind of lightweight track day car as the Porsche. But, it's heavy and discontinued (though my JDM contacts say you can still get it in Japan for about $4k). Thus, the JRZ has an appeal- much lighter and new.

I've been on the later year R susp in wonderful NE Pa for years...the issue is the bump and rebound damping is quite high so the suspension does transmit most every ripple but it is a sporty ride for you...

sure If I go ....stay tuned...

Back