• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I'm baffled

In an earlier post I stated that I installed a set of comptech headers. Apparently the front O2 sensor got WD40 on it. I have installed a NEW front O2 sensor. I reset the ECU and the check engine light still comes on. I pulled the code again and it comes back to 41 same as before. What the #@%& do I do?
mad.gif
confused.gif

I would have thought that you'd have a good chance to "self clean" the O2 by allowing your headers to get hot enough with 15-20 minutes of "normal" driving.

As to why the new sensor hasn't corrected the problem I would first check that the Comptech-supplied extension cable is properly (and fully) plugged together. Next, I'd make sure that the connector wires are not damaged (for example burned from improper routing). Finally, I'd make double certain I was replacing the right sensor.

My $.02

The 41 trouble code is actually for the front sensor heater cct., not actually the sensor cct.
(It could still potentially be the sensor which could have the heater component itself open cct, but unlikely since you have replaced it.)
More likely you are missing the voltage supply to the heater - first place to start is to check fuse #2 in the under-dash fuse box! Also check to ensure a wire did not get broken off the connector or maybe even the extender cable supplied with the header is incorrect (this could be a very likely scenario - either wired wrong or broken wire!)
If you want a complete troubleshooting procedure go to the service manual and enter page # "208" in the "xxx of 1379" field at the bottom of the page.

p.s. If you have dial-up let me know & I will copy the appropriate pages & e-mail them to you

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by D'Ecosse (edited 20 January 2003).]

Originally posted by kpond:
...I would first check that the Comptech-supplied extension cable is properly (and fully) plugged together. Next, I'd make sure that the connector wires are not damaged (for example burned from improper routing). Finally, I'd make double certain I was replacing the right sensor.

Excellent suggestions - I was busy constructing my response with the references while you were posting!
I particularly concur with the burned wire theory since it apparently worked to begin with as I recall(?) - one way or another I'd be looking seriously at extender as a prime suspect. It definitely relates to the front as the error for rear would be 42.

Is it possible that the installer mixed the two O2 sensor? So maybe the one at fault is actually in the rear? I dunno if it's even possible to mix the O2 wiring like that...but jsut a thought.

Originally posted by D'Ecosse:
I particularly concur with the burned wire theory since it apparently worked to begin with as I recall(?)

I was confusing it with this thread - http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/007630.html

When I looked back to your original post however I see you got excellent advice first time around, similar to above - the manual reference by Larry B is same as I referred above - this potentially would have saved you cost of new sensor if you'd followed it. Also by initiating a new thread rather than continuing the original, several of us actually re-tread the same ground already covered trying to help you.
nono.gif

In spite of that
pain.gif

Since it never worked after the install, the extender cable problem still looks to be a prime consideration.
Last piece of advice - Buy a manual!
santa2.gif
brought me one!

[This message has been edited by D'Ecosse (edited 20 January 2003).]

Back