• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I'm Thinking About Buying Another Car

Now that I have your attention, what I meant was a car in addition to my NSX.

My dad's 97 Acura TL is becoming an embarrassment to drive. Mechanically it is fine, and being a 5 cylinder car, it gets good gas mileage. However, the paint on the roof is peeling, the dash is starting to crack, the top part of the leather on the steering wheel has come off, and the driver's seat leather is beginning to tear.

I'm looking for a used sedan. My stepson is urging me to buy and older (2007-2010) Audi S6, in that it has the Lambo V10 5.2 liter, 435 HP motor. However, the S6 has not received raving reviews and is no match for the BMW M5, Mercedes E63 AMG, the Lexus IS-F, Jaguar XFR, and Cadillac CTS-V. However, a used S6 is a lot less costly than these other cars, except for the CTS-V, and more within my budget. I have also heard about the carbon build-up problem that these Audi's have that robs the engine of power.

So my question to you is:

• Have any of you owned an Audi in the year range that I listed above?
  • Did you like your Audi?
  • How was your car's reliability?
  • How expensive was it to maintain?

I did own an Audi in the distant past, a 1985 S5000. It was a very nice car, but was, at that time, a little expensive to maintain.

Let me know your thoughts!

Mario

Last edited:
I know you are asking about Audis, but having owned two CTS-Vs (2nd gen sedan and my current 2nd gen wagon), I will advocate for that. Price of entry for the sedan is low ($30's-$40s). Other than fuel, my only costs are oil changes, tires every 15-20k miles, and insurance. Believe it or not these cars have been reasonably reliable for me, and replacement cost for parts is less than the Germans.

Just throwing up an alternative.

I know you are asking about Audis, but having owned two CTS-Vs (2nd gen sedan and my current 2nd gen wagon), I will advocate for that. Price of entry for the sedan is low ($30's-$40s). Other than fuel, my only costs are oil changes, tires every 15-20k miles, and insurance. Believe it or not these cars have been reasonably reliable for me, and replacement cost for parts is less than the Germans.

Just throwing up an alternative.

Thanks for the tip. I had not considered an american sedan, but Detroit has made much progress in recent years, I should at least look at the Cadillac!

My two cents:

I have owned Audis. They are great at first, but inevitably have issues later in life. Check out any reliability ratings at Edmunds or Consumer Reports and you will see what I mean.

Your father is used to the reliability of an Acura. Consider getting a newer version. We have an '04 TL, and it has been spectacularly reliable. It now has over 150k on it, and it has not been babied. It is a great sports sedan. So I'd consider that generation of Acura TL.

In the end, the most important thing with a used car purchase is to be comfortable with the prior ownership and service history. Walk away from anything without a complete service history, or at least a long-term owner that you are comfortable with. There are plenty of cars out there.

All of those cars are phenomenal if they have been well serviced and not beat on. I would recommend that you stay away from German cars for the reasons that [MENTION=30265]BamaFan[/MENTION] mentioned. In my experience I have always seen the German cars have "gremlins" that are annoying, costly or otherwise prohibitive.

Just my thoughts.

I had two 2001 Audi S4s, both at the same time. Mine was a black manual Avant, and my ex-wife's was a silver automatic sedan. They were purchased within a couple of months of each other. Her car was a total nightmare, requiring two transmissions to be replaced (under warranty) and multiple other problems. Mine was perfect throughout the ownership. My lesson learned is that quality is dependent on the individual car and I would never own one out of warranty.

I owned an American car and a German car and both had nothing but problems, I will never do that again. Stay with a Japanese car or better yet take my advice that I gave you last night at the meet and just fix up the TL. A new paint job and some interior work will be way cheaper than buying another car.

Old European cars are a nightmare. I own one now but yet, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Lease an electric car as you'll qualify for the insane rebates. My Fiat 500e was $0 down, $95/Mon, 12k miles/yr. Similar deals for the Chevy Bolt and BMW i3 will pop-up. I just passed on an i3 deal for $147/mon

My two cents:

I have owned Audis. They are great at first, but inevitably have issues later in life. Check out any reliability ratings at Edmunds or Consumer Reports and you will see what I mean.

Your father is used to the reliability of an Acura. Consider getting a newer version. We have an '04 TL, and it has been spectacularly reliable. It now has over 150k on it, and it has not been babied. It is a great sports sedan. So I'd consider that generation of Acura TL.

In the end, the most important thing with a used car purchase is to be comfortable with the prior ownership and service history. Walk away from anything without a complete service history, or at least a long-term owner that you are comfortable with. There are plenty of cars out there.

Thanks BamaFan, yes I'm more than a little worried about the reliability of Audi cars, particular the age range that I'm interested in (2007 - 2010). My 1985 S5000 developed a manifold crack pretty early during my ownership. However, it did not cost me much in that I had purchased extra maintenance protection when I leased the car. My current interest in an Audi S6 is the V10 motor, and the luxury appointments of a high-end Audi. If I do go with a used Audi, I will definitely do my homework, and make sure that the car I choose has good maintenance history documentation. I have also started reading posts on the various Audi Forums concerning Audi reliability.

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

I had two 2001 Audi S4s, both at the same time. Mine was a black manual Avant, and my ex-wife's was a silver automatic sedan. They were purchased within a couple of months of each other. Her car was a total nightmare, requiring two transmissions to be replaced (under warranty) and multiple other problems. Mine was perfect throughout the ownership. My lesson learned is that quality is dependent on the individual car and I would never own one out of warranty.

Unfortunately, I can't afford a new S6 and most other new Audi, BMW or Mercedes Benz cars that come with a warranty. That means a use one is my only option. Which, based on what is being said here in this thread, is a risky endeavor. I won't be putting a lot of miles on the car in that I live only 2 miles from work. But, that does not mean that I will have less problems. I'm definitely going to have to think this through very thoroughly.

- - - Updated - - -

I owned an American car and a German car and both had nothing but problems, I will never do that again. Stay with a Japanese car or better yet take my advice that I gave you last night at the meet and just fix up the TL. A new paint job and some interior work will be way cheaper than buying another car.

Yes, Les, I'm taking what you recommended into consideration, but I don't think the cracks in the dashboard can be repaired, but I will look into this. Currently, I don't have any interest in a Japanese sedan. But, I won't at this time rule them out either.

- - - Updated - - -

All of those cars are phenomenal if they have been well serviced and not beat on. I would recommend that you stay away from German cars for the reasons that @BamaFan mentioned. In my experience I have always seen the German cars have "gremlins" that are annoying, costly or otherwise prohibitive.

Just my thoughts.

I'm going to tell your uncle you are steering away a potential buyer for his Audi A8L, LOL

Last edited:
I would never buy a used German car without a full bumper to bumper warranty, unless you had a healthy slush fund for inevitable repairs. This will be a daily driver correct? I have owned one of the cars you are potentially looking at, an 09 Lexus IS-F, Ultrasonic Blue. Plenty of power and still gets attention, plus you get Japanese reliability. You will not be embarrassed let me tell you, that blue pops anywhere you go! Good luck in your search.

I'm kinda in the same boat as your father, my daily is an 02 TL. it's paint is peeling badly and the dash is like a Christmas tree ( faulty knock sensor and maybe a combo switch). I was starting to look at a newer car but I concluded that even $4-5 k would buy a small, older Honda or toyota. For $2000, new paint, engine mounts, sensor, etc; maybe even an oil change! As much as a 2nd gen TL is boring and unspectacular, it is bulletproof reliable. Ask me again in 3 years when I hit 300,000.
Mark

since this is an nsx site and I'm a fanboy.....certain years of the tsx were pretty darn good....

Last edited:
I own a 2006 A6 4.2, this will be my last Audi unless it's fully under warranty. The biggest repair In my 5 years of ownership was the steering column ($2100), alternator went bad last year ($300) . It's a comfortable ride and the awd is great during the Michigan winters.

I own a 2006 A6 4.2, this will be my last Audi unless it's fully under warranty. The biggest repair In my 5 years of ownership was the steering column ($2100), alternator went bad last year ($300) . It's a comfortable ride and the awd is great during the Michigan winters.

If I do get an Audi, it will have good maintenance records and a warranty. The only glitch that warranties on older cars are harder to get.

I have been thinking of getting rid of my bmw e39. Service is bleeding me dry. Kinda like how a Nsx does but not nearly worth the effort. I have never really been a fan of Hyundai, but the Genesis luxury sedan has really come a long ass way and is under my radar big time. You get a 10 year warranty to boot too. Probably why Acura has been crushed into mince meat the last 15 years. Though I have high hopes for Acura in the future, you just get a whole lot of car with the Hyundai.
Plus Acuras last 10 years of models have been hideously designed.

I just traded my BMW 528ix in for a Mercedes GLE (company cars; they swap me out every three years). Know what looks good to me now? The new Cadillac CT6. Or maybe the new Lincoln Continental. I have three years to decide, but I might go for a big 'ol American car next. Both look like huge steps forward for their companies.

Note how I use my company car to take risks on fun rides that might not be bulletproof in the long run...

ISF would be the right choice, reliability, affordability, luxury, look sporty....
it is fairly fast for a v8 with simple bolt ons, intake, ppe header, joe-z exhaust and tuned.

Hrmm to be honest do you want to get an ear full from your dad when he tells you the new car you got is less reliable then his old piece of 97 tl?

I would consider upgrading him to a newer generation TL. something that is reliable and doesnt require much maintance let alone alot of random lights for warning message.

Also what is the budget in question right now?

Hrmm to be honest do you want to get an ear full from your dad when he tells you the new car you got is less reliable then his old piece of 97 tl?

I would consider upgrading him to a newer generation TL. something that is reliable and doesnt require much maintance let alone alot of random lights for warning message.

Also what is the budget in question right now?

I guess I did not explain things adequately in my first post. The car belonged to my dad, but I inherited the car when my dad passed away. I'm the one looking into getting an Audi S6.

Most of the responses to date have not been favorable when it comes to Audi reliability. Which does concern me. However, I have found a relative low mileage S6 with only two owners an the seller has maintenance documentation back to the day the car was purchased (with all work done at one dealership). I know that I'm grasping on straws, but by any chance does anyone know if extended maintenance insurance can be purchased for a car that is purchased from a private party?

As for my budget, I'm thinking something around $30,000. This will get a 2009 - 2010 S6 in good condition with not too many miles. I was originally looking at 2007 -2008 S6's with pricing between $16,000 ans $22,000. However, due to the negative reliability responses. I've decide to look at newer cars with less mileage, but naturally at a higher price.

I'm also doing research on the Audi Forum, but have not received any responses to my questions, particularly those that concern Audi reliability.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I'm also doing research on the Audi Forum, but have not received any responses to my questions, particularly those that concern Audi reliability.

Thanks,

Dude, Audi's are European, that means they break and when they do they are expensive to fix. You can also wait for days and even weeks for parts when they do break. I have owned many European motorcycles, Ducati, BMW, KTM, MV Augusta, and there is no denying how incredibly sexy European products are. But I also remember waiting 2 months for a radiator for my MV Augusta; but of course that wasn't the only pony in the stable. I have also owned Yamahas and Hondas, and although not nearly as sexy as their European counter-parts reliability was never an issue. European reliability is an oxymoron, a statement that contradicts itself. LOL. It seems you already have your mind made up on the Audi; but I'll recommend again the Lexus ISF! My daily driver is a 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser, original transmission and motor! Probably one of the most indestructible things on the planet, just in case you decide to go another direction. And the fact the Audi forums have been unresponsive should tell you something. :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1049.jpg
    IMG_1049.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 128
After 9 years and 140,000 largely trouble-free miles I sadly parted with my /06 TL. Best car I have ever owned and in all those years/miles only three mechanical repairs which in total cost approx. $1,000. Everything else was maintenance. I sold the car to a friend and looks/drives almost like new after putting approx. $1,500 into it (TB/WP, new rad/thermostat/hoses preventatively, couple engine mounts and front brakes). I so wanted to love the new TLX but it was a big disappointment in the driving dynamics department and was simply too small inside.

So...........I now find myself in a new Audi A6 3.0T. It is a beautiful car and in a different class than the TLX. No issues so far (7 months/7,000 miles) but I am under no illusions. It is no Honda/Acura/Toyota/Lexus and I will not keep it very long after warranty is up for all of the reasons many others here have posted. One of my former colleagues had the S6 with the V10 which I drove a few times. Frankly I did not like it anywhere near as much as the new A6 and he had plenty of trouble with it both during and post-warranty. He gave up and got a Mercedes E550 (big ego needs German car with big engine -- LOL). Audi has only recently improved their quality. Just look at their history in Consumers Reports and the fiasco they had with their 2.0 litre turbo engine (oil consumption) and the carbon buildup issue in the direct injection 3.2 litre engines. Audi's reliability record is spotty at best, historically poor at worst. On the other hand, I can appreciate the desire to get into a European sport sedan (especially with the meh Japanese offerings of late) but embarking on that adventure on a limited budget without a reserve fund of a couple of thousand dollars (more for a beast like the S6) per year to cover the inevitable mechanical failures and attendant astronomical (when compared to Honda/Acura) repair costs will be an unhappy experience. The fun and good feelings will end the first time you are presented with a bill for a few thousand dollar repair of something that you would likely never experience in an Acura. If you must have an Audi, drive the C7 platform (A6 3.0T, MY 2012 and later) and compare it to the S6. If you like the A6 with the supercharged V6 perhaps you can find a good CPO car in your price range. It is sufficiently fast (at least for me) and if you can get one with a few years of warranty remaining (CPO = 6 years/100,000 miles) this will give peace of mind and provide protection against expensive repairs. I think the C7 platform/exterior/interior is one of the nicest 4 door sedan Audis out there. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with you search!

Best,
Jeff

Back