• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Impressions of the S2000

I am an s2000 owner and I have a tremendous amount of respect for NSX's. I was wondering how most NSX owners feel in regards to the s2k. Most of the guys (and gals) at s2ki.com love the NSX for what it is. A lot of other car forums have a general feeling of hatred toward s2k's as "torqueless rice rockets"- just wondering how you guys felt.

NSX's little brother
smile.gif

I think they are nice when they are plain aka stock with nothing on it.. but even here in Dallas, majority of people slap exhausts and filter kits and stickers etc.. Through my experience, The motor is engineered pretty well considering it puts out 245hp from a 4 no forced induction..I however dont feel as comfortable taking corners at high speeds on the S2K as I do in the MR2..the car also needs to be revved up to the limit to excrete that 245 hp and like most hondas, the torque is on the low side.. overall IMO I think its ok.. but deinfitly not worth $32k-37k.. well hell.. the NSX is sweet and rides nice and sounds nice etc but even most NSX owners dont think its worth 90k!! Man.. if a new NSX was 65..hmmm I may have already had one hehe
smile.gif

------------------
2001 TA
1991 MR2
sigpic1.jpg

Wonderful car.

However, I do think Honda should retune/redesign for tad more low-end torque. Perhaps the rumors of an upcoming 2.2 engine with a bit more stroke are true.

The 350Z is also a very nice car that should be considered.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Personally I have put about 700 miles on a S-2000.

Great car. Great for the money. Love the dash and cockpit style feeling. Had the feeling though, if it was to drive everyday it would start to feel cramped and quite "smallish".

On the outside, really quite smart in its looks. In all, really a handsome little roadster, Largest complaint: Boot seemed a bit cumbersome and cheesy (not on the car however) and not really easy to put on. I suspect that would get better with time. Also, the top was surprisingly hard to re-attach

The engine - wow! This is a motor that sings. It makes you want to spend some time at the track. This motor really tells you to put it between 5000 and 8000 rpm. And it gives you the feeling that it is happy to be there "all day long". To that end, it is almost a disappointment on the street. With the exception of small streaches of road, this car can rarely be used in that capacity.

The downside personally is,I feel over time, there will be quite alot of them. While you won't see them "coming and going", they will be seen quite frequently. Maybe that is already happening. So exclusivity is unlikely

The S-2000 seems quite at home in NSX circles. Since you already have one, I suspect you are already sensing that you have family in the NSX circles. I think some NSX'ers seem to look at it as a bit of a first-cousin.

I recently test drove an s2000.

It's a fast, capable car but it makes me nervous when making quick turns. It's not the car, it's me. I'm not used to driving a roadster that's so small.

And small is the operative here. I'm not exactly a small framed kinda guy. The cockpit is comfortable but OHH that passenger side! Just right for my petite girlfriend but certainly not me.

I have to agree on the boot thing. What's up with that? It was harder to put on than I had anticipated.

Otherwise, it's a great car for the right person. Just not me.
wink.gif

Its great to hear so many positive responses from you guys. I absolutly love my s2000. It was a little intimidating at first, but now I feel comfortable driving around corners (in dry weather). I think the s2000 is very much like the NSX in that at the hands of a proper driver, it can be a blast to drive, but if you do something stupid it will bite you in the butt. BTW, if there are any cincinnati, OH or Saugatuck, MI area owners, I would gladly trade a ride in my s2k for a ride in an NSX
smile.gif

There are a lot of old threads,some not so friendly on the s2k/nsx relationship.I love my stook,dead reliable and spunky,and a tranny as slick as .....well you get the idea.

The S2000 is a wonderful car, I prefer it to almost any of it's competitors, even the Boxster. The lack-of-torque thing is not an issue to a longtime Honda owner. Might be tough for the Mustang/Corvette owners to get used to though. This car has the best exhaust note (stock)ever. I wish Honda would put a 6 or 8 cylinder version of that motor in the NSX. The only negative is a less confident feeling at extremely high speeds (relative to the NSX).

For a brief time before I bought my NSX-T, I thought about saving the bucks by buying an S2K. It's still a car I'd love to add to my collection (I have a die-cast 1/18 scale S2K on my desk at work), but I'd never replace my NSX with one. And I know a few NSXers who also own S2Ks.

I often steer people into owning them (after a little arm twisting, two of my coworkers bought them - and, yes, they love their Stooks).

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

I agree completely, and consider myself very fortunate indeed. The NSX is still my favorite.

Nice to hear so many positive, open minded comments from you lucky NSX owners.

The truth is that both the NSX and S2K are very special cars. IMO, it takes a true enthusiast to really appreciate both cars for what they are.

There are cars that might accelerate quicker, brake faster, or have bigger engines than both but few cars in their respective price ranges offer such visceral driving experiences.

BTW, I'd still give my left arm for a NSX. I've been lucky enough to drive a couple of them and the experience was absolutely awesome. Someday....

We've had one (yellow 01) in our garage since November 01. My wife uses it on a daily basis and I drive it maybe once a month. We both agree it's a lot of fun to drive fast and aggressively but we also both agree it's the noisiest, most uncomfortable, stiffest every-day-car we've ever owned.(we're old BTW). My NSX feels like a dream compared to it. The S2K now has 11K miles and is for sale as of yesterday for $26,9K if anyone is interested. It's immaculate without a scratch and completely stock.

04 NSX, 05 NSX...

Honda never published claims regarding the future of the NSX in any year.
Whether it would be continuation or extinction, it still remains to be seen.

let's keep the nsx's future for the other thousand threads on this server about that very issue, ok? time to focus on da baby S2000.
wink.gif

What do i think abt the S2000?

Next to my NSX model on top of my computer. NO OTHER CAR gets a spot near it... except for a a smaller scale yellow S2000.
smile.gif

Someday... the NSX will be for me, the S2000 for the wife.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by NeoNSX (edited 17 November 2002).]

I like the S2000 but have never driven one yet. I know of many others who have sold theirs since there was no low end tourque. You have to keep the engine above 6000rpm and row though the gears aggressively to get the car going pretty quick. That's fine on the expressways and freeways, but around town, many don't want to drive the car that way.

Personally, I don't mind that and would consider getting an S2000 at some time.

Originally posted by Vytas:
I like the S2000 but have never driven one yet. I know of many others who have sold theirs since there was no low end tourque. You have to keep the engine above 6000rpm and row though the gears aggressively to get the car going pretty quick. That's fine on the expressways and freeways, but around town, many don't want to drive the car that way.

Vytas -

Please don't take this as a personal attack because it is not the way its intended.

I would caution you to spread the rumor of "no low end torque" until you actually drive the car. The fact is that for a 2.0L engine this car has very good low end torque.

Those comments typically come from people who either (a) haven't driven the car or (b) are comparing the car to a 5.7L V8 Corvette.

It is absolutely true to say that the sweet spot of the S2K's drivetrain is between 6-9K RPM. It is not true to say the car is undrivable under 6K. I've owned quite a few small displacement sports cars and the S has plenty of low down grunt when compared in the correct context.

Let's put it another way. To us S2K owners, this complaint is probably the same as the comment that why would anyone buy an NSX when a C5 corvette is so much cheaper and it will blow its doors off in a drag race? The S2000, like the NSX, is not a drag car. It's a pure sports car. Nothing is heavier than need be and the car is designed to carry as much speed as possible through corners, stop predictabley straight in the shortest space possible and allow the driver to accelerate quickly out of turns. Its not about laying big patches of smokey burnouts.

If you want to peel out, buy a Mustang.

If you want balance and nimbleness, buy the S.

Rant over.

Originally posted by Vytas:

Hey Vytas, you must be referring to me. I've owned the S2000 (awesome spa yellow) for a year before selling it to get my NSX. I love the car in every aspect. The power is great at high rpms. The convertible top is awesome. I love the wind and sun. However, as most of you have guessed, I was instantly in love with the NSX right when I sat in the brilliantly designed cockpit. The S2000 is the baby NSX. I would like to own both if possible, but for now, I'm sticking with the NSX.

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Back