• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Improving stock sound system treble.

For the most part, I like the stock sound system, but it lacks brillance at the high end. Is that what most of you find, or is it just my ears? I was thinking of mounting two small super tweeters on the triangular shaped piece of plastic at the forward top of the door sill near the bottom of the windshield pillar. My 3.2CL has tweeters there and they are effective. I would have to get into the door panel to run the wire from the door speaker output to the tweeter. Has anyone done this? Do you think it would be effective?
How hard are the door panels to get off without damaging them?

Thanks

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

I recently had my door panels off to replace the stock speaker and grease the tracks for the windows (was rolling up slow). It was an easy job (less than 1 hour to take each door panel on and off) - just follow all the steps in section 20-6 of the service manual.

HOWEVER, If you're running stock stereo system: Here's the hard part (I think). You can't simply add some tweeters in parallel to the stock system since head unit does not send speaker level signals. Instead the speaker assy in each door has an amp along with the speaker. So (I think) you'll need an amp to power the tweeters.

Yes.. I knew that. I was hoping i could get to the output side of the amp, unless its built into the speaker in such a way that I can't.

Thanks

Oh, maybe that's possible. I can take apart my old speaker assy this weekend to see if there's an easy way to tap the output.

Thought of another thing: Bose is known for modifying the frequency response of their amps to match characteristics of their drivers. If this is the case with the NSX system, driving an external speaker from the Bose amp may not sound so hot. Then again, it should still increase the treble.

Bose systems are all mid-range. Hence the saying "No highs, no lows, must be Bose."

Originally posted by Lud:
Bose systems are all mid-range. Hence the saying "No highs, no lows, must be Bose."

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. I had heard it in reference to the Corvette sound system "No highs, no lows, must be Delco-Bose."

Back