• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

In memory of Senna.

I was reading the article talking about Senna in this issue of Road and Track... What a great article.

There's one interesting point in that article though: McLaren team boss recall the legendary fights between Senna and Prost... "He's not that good in mechanic sense, unlike Prost, who is perfect on car's setting, with Senna, he just go out and drive...." I don't remember what exactly the quote is, but that's just rasied the quesiton:
Could it be just a PR job of how much we thought of Senna's influence of giving "suggestion" on setting up the nsx in its development... Since at the time Senna is the Champ?? I know that the driving skills and setting up a F1 car is a lot more complicated than a street car. But seriously though, which part of the nsx's dynamic should credit to Senna??

Senna used to drive a black NSX in Sao Paulo, his hometown, as his daily driver. So I assume he would not accept driving anything without giving his tips and probably developing it.
Anyway, you certainly don't want to take away from us this most romantic dream, that Ayrton did the NSX development job, right ;)
Mike

...and BTW, May 1st will be 10 years from his death at Imola.
I remember that day. I was in Sao Paulo, at a Sporting Club named Club Paulistano. It was a sunny day and I was playing some relaxed basketball with a few buddies, when the news came in. He did not die immediately so the news was that he was injured...
His funeral was possibly the biggest event in Brasil for many years...I know some will say he was "just" a racing driver, but when he died he took away something form each Brazilian man and woman and from many of us "foreigners" as well.
As they said then...valeu, Ayrton

I thought I should bump this up as today it's the 10th anniversary of his death.
We still remember him.

Speed replayed the 94 Imola race tonight. Interestingly, when the track attendents inspected Ayrton's car after the crash, they found an Austrian flag in it instead of the usual green and yellow Brazillian flag. He had planned on honoring the Austrian, Ratzenberger, by waving the Austrian flag instead of the Brazillian flag.

yes - in Brazil he was an absolute icon. the country mourned for days after his death and thousands of mourners lined the streets. I don't think people here in the States who don't follow motor sports can understand how big this man was in Brazil and how world famous race car drivers are viewed in their home countries. the sport just doesn't have the same type of following here in the States

Back