• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Indy Dinner April 13 and Putnam Park Track Event April 15-16

Hi Hoosiers!

I will be instructing at Putnam Park for the Hoosier Chapter BMW CCA at their school on Saturday-Sunday, April 15-16.

I would be interested in having dinner in Indianapolis on Thursday April 13 with any NSX folks interested in joining me. I really love The Oceanaire* in downtown Indy, right off the circle on the same block of Meridian as the Circle Centre. It has terrific seafood in a lovely modern setting. I'd like to shoot for a fairly early dinner, let's say 6:00 p.m. Anyone who would like to join me there, please let me know!

Valet parking is available at the restaurant entrance on Meridian, or you can self-park for $1.50 for up to 3 hours in the Circle Centre garage (left entrance on Maryland between Illinois and Meridian).

As for the track event, Putnam Park, about 40 miles west of Indy, is lots of fun! It has lots of flow and a nice variety of turns, yet there's plenty of runoff room so it's a very safe track. This is an excellent place for beginners to start out! The Hoosier Chapter BMW CCA has been holding this event for years and they are a very experienced and fun group. For more details about how the event is conducted, click here, where you can also download an application.

* The Oceanaire
30 South Meridian Street
Indianapolis 46204
317-955-2277

map_indianapolis.gif

Checking my schedule for the track event, if I can do the event I will be in for some grub as well.

Dave

DDozier said:
Checking my schedule for the track event, if I can do the event I will be in for some grub as well.
Just keep in mind that the track event is Saturday-Sunday for students, and the dinner in Indy is Thursday evening. (They have an open track day on Friday for instructors and advanced students.)

nsxtasy said:
Just keep in mind that the track event is Saturday-Sunday for students, and the dinner in Indy is Thursday evening. (They have an open track day on Friday for instructors and advanced students.)

noted

nsxtasy said:

Hey Ken, what other BMW midwest events have the friday event? (I think Windy City does) Also is it a requirement to do Sat and Sun, in order to do friday? Or can Friday be done alone? Also such as myself, being a several year advanced driver for one BMW club, does this make me advanced for all?

I know many questions, but I really am looking for more "lapping" events, and less "instructor/classroom" events. i.e. I would be interested in doing a bunch of BMW "Fridays" at many tracks, but not really the Sat and Sun.

Almost all of the BMW CCA events have Friday reserved for the instructors. Most of the chapters (but not Windy City Chapter) also invite A-group students with whom they (that particular chapter) are familiar to participate along with the instructors. I'm pretty sure they require Saturday-Sunday registration for students to drive on Friday. So if you're not an instructor, basically you need to drive as a student in that school each year for several years, and work your way up to their A group, and still participate in the weekend school.

There are other groups that offer track time without the classroom and instructional component - some of which allow it even for novices (which makes an event less safe, IMO), while others require that you "prove yourself" with them. Other groups that may allow you to solo at an event (and may or may not require that you demonstrate your experience), and hold events in or near the Midwest, include:

CGI Motorsports
Chin Motorsports
Prosport Driving Group
NASA
Late Apex
Trackmasters

And, of course, you can always buy a membership at Autobahn Country Club.

Ken...do you know if I could enter my S2000 in this driver school?? I would like to attend but the NSX will not be track ready in time. I need to replace the brakes, tires, and some other stuff first on it. The S2000 however....that little go-kart is ready. :)

Meeyatch1 said:
Ken...do you know if I could enter my S2000 in this driver school??
I believe they do not allow convertibles without a full roll cage. I don't know whether or not they allow convertibles that do have a full roll cage.

nsxtasy said:
I believe they do not allow convertibles without a full roll cage. I don't know whether or not they allow convertibles that do have a full roll cage.

ARGH! I need to find a drivers school that I can take my S2000 to. :(

timothyaw said:
Yes I will be there, 6 pm correct? We'll meet inside the restaurant?
That's correct. I might get there a bit earlier, since I'm driving long distance. We'll meet in the restaurant. (I usually park in the Circle Center self-park garage, entrance on Maryland, around the corner from the restaurant. I think it's $1.50 for 3 hours or something like that.) I'll make a reservation in the name NSX. So far it looks like it will be a table for two.

I'll PM you my cell number.

nsxtasy said:
That's correct. I might get there a bit earlier, since I'm driving long distance. We'll meet in the restaurant. (I usually park in the Circle Center self-park garage, entrance on Maryland, around the corner from the restaurant. I think it's $1.50 for 3 hours or something like that.) I'll make a reservation in the name NSX. So far it looks like it will be a table for two.

I'll PM you my cell number.
Sounds good! I'll see you there.

Ken it was very nice meeting you Thursday evening. It was good to finally put a face with the name. I enjoyed talking with you about Honda etc. Hope I didn't talk too much, I love talking about cars! I hope to see you at other events.

Back