• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Inline 10 or 8 in new motor?

I have read many reports of test motors being V10 but unable to confirm its layout. It would be nice if Honda went away with transverse layout and chose a more straight/inline approach like lambo or fcars.

Uh, if this thing had an inline 10 it would have the proportions of a Bugatti Royale. I think you mean longitudinally mounted?

V configuration has nothing per se to do with the layout of the engine in the chassis.

The new "NSX" is a front engine car and AWD. Why wouldn't it have a longitudinal layout? There is no reason for it to have a transverse layout. That would require an additional 90 degree gear to send power to the rear wheels.

Making it inline would be stupid - the engine would be ridiculously long.

Last edited:
If its going to be front engine and ugly lets make it really ugly and useless and really experiment.

If its going to be mid-engine the way i said it.

With long cranks and long cams you get too much flexing and twisting. On some 12 and 16 cylinder V or boxer engines in the past, the power has had to be taken off the middle of the crank to get around this.

On modern Top Fuel drag cars, the cranks and cams are designed with a twist already in them, so that when they hit the throttle, the flex due to power actually makes them straight.

No reason I can think of to go longer on an engine than a V10, or even a V8, really. Boost solves a lot of problems.

Nick

If its going to be front engine and ugly lets make it really ugly and useless and really experiment.

If its going to be mid-engine the way i said it.

Do you have any idea how long an inline 10 would be? That's just silly.

That would be the size of a v20.

?! :eek:

I think they do that sort of stuff in boats....like large boats.

Do you have any idea how long an inline 10 would be?

this long

45620903rn8.jpg

I have read many reports of test motors being V10 but unable to confirm its layout. It would be nice if Honda went away with transverse layout and chose a more straight/inline approach like lambo or fcars.

I think Bear Report is right on here....

Are you sure you understand the difference between "inline" and "V" configuration?

Perhaps the proper term would be Longitudinal Positioning of the engine, like the Ferrari and Lamborghini have...hence LP-640, LP-560..etc....

Back