• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Inside Door Handle Broke

I was driving to Fort Lauderdale and stopped at a rest area to take care of business. When I tried to open the door the handle broke. Had to get out throught the outside handle. Anyone suggest a good place to get a used driver's side intererior handle for a 2000 NSX-T. A new one cost $370.00 plus...:mad:

Last edited:
Thanks Chris and David. I want an OEM. The billet ones looked good, but too expensive. I guess I can get a handle without having to buy the whole assembly. The handle broke at the bottom connector. I sent an e-mail to Ravi at umbrella.com. Maybe he can be of assistance. Thanks again for the response, it is very appreciated.

Dude,

I really think you need the first item that Chris pointed out. It is a billet "repair kit", not the handle. You will keep your OEM handle, just repair the hinge piece that broke. This is a very common failure:).

HTH,
LarryB

It's a real bummer since it is raining today in Fort Lauderdale. I have a gentleman looking for me, but if he can't find a handle he may be able to get an entire used assembly for $250.00. I found a new OEM one for $305. Oh well, I do appreciate all the help provided by the Prime Community; it's the best.:biggrin:

how vigerously are you people trying to get out of your NSX that it breaks off a 1inch thick handle bar? haha....

Ya, that just makes the day better and better when you see those police lights behind you. Those revenue collectors sure like those tickets.

I think everyone talking about Ravi is umbrellaautodesign.com I have bought several NSX parts off of this web site. Look there.

Dang:eek: alot of people breaking there handles lately.

I have dozens of passenger side handle assys. but the driver side is hard to come by. I have some parts but not completes.

The handles break for a few reasons and its actually possible to prevent one type of failure at least.

If what is broken or cracked is the actual housing area and grab, the most common reason for the failure is that all of the screws are not in place or the wrong screws have been used to install the handle.

It actually takes 8 screws to hold the handle to the door shell. The rear most four screws are gold and have at the top of the thread just under the head a shoulder , the front most four are black.

These screws are much thicker and have a larger head than the more common trim screws used in the nsx.

If you grab your handle to pull the door shut and it flexes at all, you probably do not have all your screws installed or the wrong screws are being used.

The grab assy. is flimsy to begin with and is 2 parts that are heat welded together at the factory, the slightest flex will cause the 2 sections to crack apart.

If your handle has broken in this fashion, I have perfected a way to repair it, however it involves a full refinish of the components in the process.

I have been collecting broken handles and all of the components on the back side of the handles for a while so I may be able to overhaul you existing handles.

I wanted to provide this information to you guys inorder to help out but this is not the correct forum for me to talk about prices etc so pm me if you want, or post pics of your handles front and rear and what is actually failing and I will suggest a way to fix it.

Thanks

Rav

Last edited:
I'm curious to see a pic of the broken door handle!

how could it be broken so easily?

i don't think the aging of the door handle is the factor...

The handle broke in two pieces on the bottom arm, just under the panel; threrefore, a picture will be of no use until it is removed. I did find a driver's door assembly for $283 at parts.com, so I may just bite the bullet and buy it. I'm tired of having to follow a routine to get out of my daily driver...:mad:

The handle broke in two pieces on the bottom arm, just under the panel; threrefore, a picture will be of no use until it is removed. I did find a driver's door assembly for $283 at parts.com, so I may just bite the bullet and buy it. I'm tired of having to follow a routine to get out of my daily driver...:mad:

Hi, could you please post a pic of the backside of the handle assy. once you remove it?

I've never actually heard of the plastic release lever arm failing, its usually the pot metal lever arm that fails.

Thanks

Ravi

Dude,

I really think you need the first item that Chris pointed out. It is a billet "repair kit", not the handle. You will keep your OEM handle, just repair the hinge piece that broke. This is a very common failure:).

HTH,
LarryB

OK, Based on the pic, I still think you just need the repair kit. Get a mirror and look under the handle in the area where it is broken. You should see two very small phillips flat head screws. If you do, buy the kit:).

Regards,
LarryB

IMO it does look like the actual plastic release lever has broken.

pics attached of the release lever and the arms.

Rav

Last edited:
Bsed on Ravi's picture, it is definately the handle lever. You can tell where the molded secdtion broke. I will just go ahead and buy the assembly and sell the old assembly, with the broken handle, to Ravi. I am sure the components inside the assembly are fine. To all that have helped, thanks a lot. You guys are the best.:eek:

When you buy a new one, make sure it is the right color...your seems a lighter brownish silver one, of the late models...the early models are black :wink:

Back