• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Installation of AP Racing/SoS brakes

Hi !

Tomorrow I'll have a certified brake shop install my SoS/AP Racing brake kit to my 92 NSX. The problem is likely to be a very tight fit under my RH 3-part rims (8x18'' front). The wheels can not be "spacer'ed" out any more than they already are. If we have a caliper/spoke problem, my question is:

"Shave" of some metal on the front calipers

or

forget the whole deal ??

P.S. I don't consider buying new wheels an option
smile.gif

Thanks for any expert advice !

------------------
92 Honda NSX, Style Auto body kit (fully repainted incl. roof), Bilstein/Comptech suspension, RH AL 8x18/10x19'' rims with 225/40 & 275/30 Yokohama AVS Sport, RM Racing air inlet/exhaust/gearknob, Comptech cat. pipes, Cantrell CF engine cover, Taitec CF mirrors, AP Racing 330mm brake kit (f&r), SoS sway bars, Taitec hub, SoS CF brake air ducts, Momo steering wheel, DC Sports headers.

Hey Trond, I dont have any answer to your question, but where did you get that kit? I like it! Do you have better pics by any chance?
Thanks
Z

This has to be the tightest fit ever on a big brake installation
smile.gif

Spokes - caliper around 2 mm (= 0.08 inch) I would say, but closer to 0.5 mm (!)(=0.02 inch) to the part of the rim/"ring" where all the screws in this 3-piece design, are fastened.

In fact the only thing we had to modify was the dustshield on the front right. The disc on the front right was pressed on the shield so hard we couldn't turn the wheel. Because the wheel turned fine on the left front, the guy doing the installation told me to drive the car some meters to see if the brake would "loosen up"... Resulting in some not so nice grooves on the inside on the disc. (The guy tried to convince me the grooves would soon be gone - but I'm still not 100% convinced...

Guess I'll have to take off the disc to check after bedding in.)

Chris:

Would it be normal to feel the brakes as a little "tight" in the beginning ?? (meaning like they are engaged just a little bit)

I'm following the AP Racing bedding in procedure, but I can still feel a slight vibration when applying the brake (carefully, but firm) in around 60mph - normal or what ??

Back