• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Insurance coverage for the GTA help please!!

HKF

Registered Member
After agreeing to a purchase of a 91 NSX, I found out from my insurance company (Belairdirect) that they don't insure cars greater than 15 years old. Mad calls to Intact, State Farm, and Aviva ranges from $1850/yr (Aviva) to $3000/yr for full coverage, including collisions. TD Monnex hasn't returned my call.

I'm a bit shocked at these premiums as I have a pristine record and currently pay only $1400/yr on my 997, which is roughly worth 2x the NSX.

Hagerty is only $700/yr but they say I can't drive the NSX to work, which I find not doable.

Can someone in the GTA give me contacts for possible better pricing? Or is $1850 /yr reasonable for midtown Toronto for the NSX?

Oh, I can't move my existing insurance from Belairdirect as I just recently renewed my auto and home insurance with them and cancellation penalty is 10 percent of premium. #@$?!!

Thanks!

Grant was very helpful but ultimately, could not match my lowest quote. Thanks to those who responded.

I'm sure you're well aware that the lowest quote isn't always the best option - you have to compare coverage from company to company. Granted, I used Progressive prior and when switching from them to Farm Bureau (also who my homeowner's is through), I ended up getting about 6 times the coverage and consequentially it ended up being almost $350 cheaper every 6 mos. To match the same coverage as Progressive, it would have been almost $600 cheaper every 6 mos.

Sorry Grant couldn't make it happen for ya though. I can assure you, knowing him, he would be there 24/7 for you if you were to ever need anything. Hopefully you find what works for you soon!

Also, since my NSX is a '92, I actually have it under "Classic/Collector car coverage". The total cost for my NSX alone is $353 every 6 mos, fully covered with a declared value of $35K (I could have gone as high as $44K). The only stipulation is I cannot put more than 7500 miles/yr on it. Not something I would do anyway... oh, and they had to take pictures of it inside/out prior to insuring it - and come to think of it they never took one of the odometer.

Back