• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Interest in Tuning for Boost with the Stock ECU

I have lot's of updates, but to keep it short and sweet - I got 2 way serial communications working and I'm working in conjunction with Quaraxkad (jason) to custom make the standalone datalogging program. Just today I found the most important piece to the ECU puzzle - The Short and Long Term Fuel Corrections! Here is a video with the details...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pt9ZaGttZZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-Matt

Nice work.
So when does the ECU operate in closed loop? just Idle?

Keep up the good work.

It appears to work in closed loop as soon as the engine is warmed up... STFT corrections are made as long as the car is running. Still have to see what it does at WOT acceleration.

-Matt

Way to go Matt!

Just being able to see the fuel trims is the key to alot of tuning issues with the OBD1 cars, are you guys writing custom software to view and translate the data?

Very impressed with your efforts, keep up the good work.

Dave

Way to go Matt!

Just being able to see the fuel trims is the key to alot of tuning issues with the OBD1 cars, are you guys writing custom software to view and translate the data?

Very impressed with your efforts, keep up the good work.

Dave

Yes, we're making custom software. I'm working the hardware end and finding the variables in the code while Quaraxkad is programming the user interface. Thanks man, I wish there was more interest in this kind of stuff, seems kind of dead in this section of the forum.

I actually hooked up the NSX ECU tonight to the workbench, found the pads for TX and RX and soldered in standoffs. Hooked up the datalogging cable, and made some modifications to the chip and sure enough I'm getting valid responses from the datalogger!

Heres a pic of the connections: JP2=TX on the left and L5=RX on the right.

IMAG0083.jpg

Here is a picture of the 84pin SMT socket I installed, I had to give myself a pat on the back for soldering that one successfully without an SMT rework station!

100_1246.jpg

-Matt

I'm sure there is interest, what you're doing is just way over everyone's heads so we're sitting back watching from the sidelines :)

+1, keep going, if you build it they will come!

Dave

Yes, don't be confused. There is TONS of interest, but lets face it. This is more than most of us understand. No one can comment on this thread unless you want a bunch of people posting:

Sweet

Cool

Way to go

Keep it up

Ah sweet

:)

What your doing is HUGE for the aftermarket that is going FI. Just look what it did to the evo/sti world once there factory ecu got hacked 9 ways from sunday.

JR

Don't sweat it Matt. I'm sure you'll have tons of demand once you're done.

EDIT: Hey, I know you ^ didn't know you were on prime.

Last edited:
Yes, don't be confused. There is TONS of interest, but lets face it. This is more than most of us understand. No one can comment on this thread unless you want a bunch of people posting:

Sweet

Cool

Way to go

Keep it up

Ah sweet

:)

What your doing is HUGE for the aftermarket that is going FI. Just look what it did to the evo/sti world once there factory ecu got hacked 9 ways from sunday.

JR

Actually, to be more specific, I was hoping to find someone here that spoke my language, had a chip burner and might be able to help out a bit. Maybe ballsy enough to test some things out, offer some suggestions, etc. I'm definitely not looking for a pat on the back LOL!

Hey Vic, I hope :). I've got my heart and soul invested in this project.

-Matt

Last edited:

Yup. Been on here forever, as you can see. (joined in 2001) I was actually the one that conviced the mods to open a FI section on this forum. :) This forum and the RX7 forum were the first I ever joined.

To OP. I know your not looking for a pat on the back, but I don't want you to quit because you think there is no interest in what your doing. You crack that ECU and people will come FLOCKING at you.

JR

Last edited:
Actually, to be more specific, I was hoping to find someone here that spoke my language, had a chip burner and might be able to help out a bit. Maybe ballsy enough to test some things out, offer some suggestions, etc. I'm definitely not looking for a pat on the back LOL!

-Matt

If you can let me know the pin count of the chip burner you need I will check through my work if I can locate one.

Last edited:
That's strange - they're one of the most common ROM chips made!

-Matt

Matt,

I was trying to locate one at my work but it looks like we got rid of them a few years back. I was hoping that we still had them somewhere.

:) :eek: :d

This video shows live datalogging integrated into tunerpro with table X & Y axis linking (not address hit tracing!). This has been under development for the last 5 years, to identify these values from scratch, figure out the calculations and finally have datalogging integrated into TunerPro is truly an incredible accomplishment! This video is a demonstration only and there is still much work to be done. In its current state - with the timing values and fuel trims identified and working - our cars can now be properly tuned!

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WXqbqEokeKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This shows a trip around the block (shifting with my left hand!). Differences in these two timing values show where and how much timing is being pulled. The left gauge "MAP Timing" shows the desired timing from the ignition map and the right gauge "Final Timing" shows the actual current timing the engine is running. Any difference in the two indicated how much timing any of the 7 ignition timing modifiers are pulling. Note that in this video I am running regular 87 gas and you can see the knock sensors pulling timing at higher RPM to compensate. By modifying the ignition map so that no timing is pulled, the ideal timing can be tuned!

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pamloyrZy-s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-Matt

WOW. So you have gotten a lot farther. Who knows. Your giving me hope that maybe the NSX ecu will get cracked afterall

JR

Great JOB!!! Matt

Now go buy some 93 Oct fuel.

So what do we need to modify on the ECU to get the data stream out, is it just to solder on a few pins and wire to a serial cable, then your software.

If nothing else the fact that we have got a scan tool for OBD1 cars is a big plus, how close to a full tune option are you.

Dave

Last edited:
Great JOB!!! Matt

Now go buy some 93 Oct fuel.

So what do we need to modify on the ECU to get the data stream out, is it just to solder on a few pins and wire to a serial cable, then your software.

If nothing else the fact that we have got a scan tool for OBD1 cars is a big plus, how close to a full tune option are you.

Dave

Haha thanks!

I actually filled up with 87 by accident, and that gave me the reason to make this video!

There are 3 modes of communication all built into the ECU from the factory and software selectable - a two way request/receive mode, a one way 66 byte stream and a one way 16 byte stream. The 66 byte stream is what comes out of the ECU in its stock form and its a bit slow for updates (about 1 per second). In the video above I am using the 16 byte stream which runs pretty quickly as you can see! There is a list of memory addresses for the stream within the ROM chip and I have the memory addresses custom modified to suit my needs above. The Tunerpro definition file correlates directly to this list of memory addresses.

I would say the ECU in its current form is cracked enough to do some serious tuning. I am heading down to Englishtown this weekend for the National Acura Legend Meet and will hopefully be on the dyno to do some preliminary tuning. Time has been my major limiting factor. My shop has been unusually busy for the summer months.

The two major things left would be to find the fuel multiplier values to compensate for larger injectors - and some custom coding to support boost (I need a turbo on my car first ;)). I honestly don't even know where to start with modifying the code to support boost, I know the main thing is to hold the ECU in open loop once boost is being produced. There are other things I'd like to find such as coil pack dwell time, etc.

-Matt

Great Job Matt, looking forward to the finished product.
What is your plan? to sell your own Software/Tuning program? I'm waiting to purchase!

Just thought I'd mention the JDM ECU's have a speed limit set to 180kmph.
have you found anything to bypass this? I could send you a Socketed JDM ecu to investigate if needed.

In regards to the data stream is this the same as the OBD2 NSX's or do you do something different? Just thinking of scan tool options that might be usable?

Great Job Matt, looking forward to the finished product.
What is your plan? to sell your own Software/Tuning program? I'm waiting to purchase!

Just thought I'd mention the JDM ECU's have a speed limit set to 180kmph.
have you found anything to bypass this? I could send you a Socketed JDM ecu to investigate if needed.

In regards to the data stream is this the same as the OBD2 NSX's or do you do something different? Just thinking of scan tool options that might be usable?

I'm undecided as of yet - I'd like to get a few Legends tuned as proof of concept and then move on from there. The NSX and Legend definitions are nearly 90% identical with the NSX's only major difference being the addition of the VTEC controls, which are already defined! The software I'm using is Mark Mansur's TunerPro RT which is incredibly powerful, custom configurable universal tuning application. It links tuning, fully integrated (Moates Ostrich) real time ROM emulation and definable serial data-stream datalogging! Not only is just about everything custom configurable, there are tools built into the program to make the reverse engineering process much easier. It is truly an under-appreciated program.

Speed limiter options have been found and defined. The program can be disabled completely or custom configured with any speed limit you desire.

Scan tools aren't an option for the 91-94 ecus, only custom configurable data-stream applications will work.

-Matt

Back