• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Interesting chair....anyone have an idea?

I was at a Chinese restaurant tonight and saw an interesting chair. After spending close to an hour on Google, all I can come up with is that they are sold in China (surprise) and Greece, and are made from the Eucalyptus tree.

Any leads?

Attachments

• euclyptus chair.jpg
    euclyptus chair.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 148
I like the way they have to chain it down to prevent if from being stolen...not much of a deterrent.

Yeah, its probably rediculously expensive too.

Well the set I saw tonight was very nice and classy. I'd like something different to throw in front of the fire place. Anyway, I would have made an offer to buy, but one of the chairs had a split down the middle (was damaged in shipping). The owner told me they had a larger shipping container of items shipped in from China that cost her several thousand in shipping alone. They have no plans on making future purchases, but she wasn't willing to share where she got the set from.

Anyway, if anyone has an idea, I'm all ears.

Well the set I saw tonight was very nice and classy. I'd like something different to throw in front of the fire place. Anyway, I would have made an offer to buy, but one of the chairs had a split down the middle (was damaged in shipping). The owner told me they had a larger shipping container of items shipped in from China that cost her several thousand in shipping alone. They have no plans on making future purchases, but she wasn't willing to share where she got the set from.

Anyway, if anyone has an idea, I'm all ears.

I am almost positive it does not cost that much to ship a container. I know for a fact I can get a container to Soviet Union for right around 2-3 grand. I have a buddy who sends logging equiptment over there every month.

Re: shipping costs

The owner told me they had a larger shipping container of items shipped in from China that cost her several thousand in shipping alone.
Well if Walmart were shipping it from China, it would be much cheaper since they have this freighter which is 1302 ft long, has a 207 ft beam, cruises at 31 knots with a net cargo of 123,200 tons, driven by 14 diesel engines (110,000 BHP) and a crew of 13. One more reason why 'everything' comes from China now.

I have seen chairs, 2-3 seat benches and sittingroom tables made like this.
Friend of mine bought 2 tables in Indonesia (were made there) 2 years ago.
Also, during recent vacation seen seats and benches like this in a shop in Playa del Carmen, Mexico

I've seen chairs like this in random wood cutting and furniture type places. Sorry its not more specific as I usually only see them when I am on vacation somewhere. Unless you are looking for some specific kind of wood.

I'm not concerned about the type of wood. It would be nice to have a set of two chairs and a foot rest (exactly what I saw).

Think I will go back and look again to see if that one chair can be repaired.

Re: Can't really tell from the picture, but........

That looks a lot like a chunk of CA Redwood; it floats down the rivers to the Pacific and washes up as smooth driftwood on No. CA shores. It's beautiful stuff when finished right. I had a friend who made his living making and selling furniture out of it. He would drive down from Missoula MT to get a big truck load every fall, take it home, work it over thru the winter and sell it to millionaires with rustic summer "cabins" in MT. Pretty cool; he had a lot of time to skydive and drive his 911 Turbo in the summer. :tongue:

Back