• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Interior

While my poor NSX is in the shop for a mysterious electrical issue I am driving a loaner, a 2012 Acura TL.

It's a modern Acura, beak and all, and we all know how to feel about that around here. I will say that it has a fair bit of "get up and go" if you click the shifter down into S (sport?), but the throttle response is as schizophrenic and nonlinear as any automatic transmission car.

But I wanted to talk about the interior.

2012-acura-tl-sh-awd-interior-view.jpg

Buttons... buttons everywhere... Way too many buttons. While you're driving trying to remember which button is where is pretty overwhelming, especially if it's not the only car you ever drive.

The interior of the first NSX had a lot in common with the Accord of that time. So is it reasonable to assume that the next NSX will have an interior similar to this?? Are they really going to crap up their "supercar" with hundreds of buttons all over the place (not to mention the frustratingly unintuitive clickwheel nav screen GUI thing - BMW iDrive, anyone?)? If the interior of the new NSX looks anything like this I will be very sad indeed.

I will say that the premium sound system in this particular car is pretty nice. I do hope the new NSX has a great factory sound system :smile:

Bleh... Why have buttons when you can have this.

tesla_model_s_501.jpg

Buttons get to looking pretty outdated and there's no way to change them, whereas I understand Tesla to be the sort of company that will continue delivering software updates for the Model S to keep the touchscreen GUI looking modern and fresh.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h9QeWFet--E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this is what they should do. hands down.

Agreed. The interior of my 2000 Accord seems so much more ergonomic than the recent model years. I don't like this trend of bombarding the dash with tiny buttons like the Germans (Mercedes & BMW) have been doing forever. Too busy for my taste.

Remember that nearly everything on the new Acura cars can be controlled by pushing one button on the steering wheel and talking. A/C, audio, nav, phone, etc.. it's all voice activated now. You can use the buttons if you want, but they are not required. Just push a button on your steering wheel without taking your eyes off the road or wheel. I can't remember the last time I used a button on the dash of my TSX.

Bleh... Why have buttons when you can have this.

Buttons get to looking pretty outdated and there's no way to change them, whereas I understand Tesla to be the sort of company that will continue delivering software updates for the Model S to keep the touchscreen GUI looking modern and fresh.
The problem with touch screens for common inputs like stereo, HVAC, etc. is that you have to look at them constantly.

A button has tactile feedback and stays in the same place every time, so once you get used to the car you can do most things with just a glance or even without looking at all.

A touchscreen with always take your eyes off the road for a longer period of time, no matter how long you've had the car.

I actually enjoy the new Acura interiors a lot. I do agree that during a test drive it would be a bit overwhelming but "learning" a new car is part of the fun IMHO.

Back