• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Intermediate Shaft Bearing Replacement

I'm planning to refurbish my drive shafts this winter including the intermediate shaft. Does anyone know the best place or way to have the new bearing pressed in? The SM calls for a "special tool" which I assume is a rig for the pressing function.

I was able to use some different sized Sch 40 PVC couplers to create a "special tool" for it to rest on when using the press. Don't remember the size tho- I grabbed a bunch of different sizes at Home Depot LOL.

No, just slowly tap around the entire race ring It is crude ghetto as all heck, but it works.

I've also used PVC sched 40 pipe (like Honcho) on other bearings and it works really well on removal and installation.

Edit: one should never touch or mar the surface of a bearing race. Only use the rings and face.

Last edited:
You should NEVER press brngs in or out with the inner brng race.
nigel
edit: I should state "inner ring", not "inner race" as race is the internal pathway for the bearings. I used the term interchangeably, but the most correct term is "ring" as in "inner ring" or "outer ring". It would be difficult/impossible to use a race to press a bearing and the race surface is extremely precise so it should not be touched.

There isn't much of a choice when pressing onto a shaft for an interference fit.

example here:

The use of a PVC press tool isn't advised because it can possibly shatter and cause shrapnel. Honcho, I, and others do it regardless because Cheap + Available > Risk.

Freezing the shaft can be helpful too.

Last edited:
You should NEVER press brngs in or out with the inner brng race.
nigel
if the bearing is pressed into a housing (outer race press fit ) then you press in using outer race adapter , if bearing is on a shaft then you press on the in on inner race using inner race adapter , I do not understand your post

edit: I should state "inner ring", not "inner race" as race is the internal pathway for the bearings. I used the term interchangeably, but the most correct term is "ring" as in "inner ring" or "outer ring". It would be difficult/impossible to use a race to press a bearing and the race surface is extremely precise so it should not be touched.

There isn't much of a choice when pressing onto a shaft for an interference fit.

example here:

The use of a PVC press tool isn't advised because it can possibly shatter and cause shrapnel. Honcho, I, and others do it regardless because Cheap + Available > Risk.

Freezing the shaft can be helpful too.
Thanks
I knew what you meant. 😀

Back