• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

internet in Austin

Hey guys! i'm moving to the Cedar park area next week. Im trying to decide the best phone, internet and tv packages!!!! Help!!! Any suggestion? I currently have directv and windstream phone w/1.5 dsl service(which is more like 314kps).

att- dsl is best when you live near a hub
uverse- 2 long a waiting list and expensive
time warner- fast internet speeds, decent price and can have me going Tues!!

Last edited:
My personal service-providers:

- Time Warner cable/internet/phone ($109 + taxes):

* HD-cable (comes w/ DVR service which I NEVER ever use, so I'm gonna swap their DVR-receivers w/ their regular HD-receivers & save the equipment/hardware fee of $10/month for DVR-receivers which isn't included in the aforementioned bundle-price)

* Road Runner 12 Mbps internet w/ their own cable-modem & wireless-router

* digital-phone service w/ nation-wide long-distance

- Dish Network ($45 + taxes): Int'l programming-package

- AT&T Wireless ($79 + taxes): 3-line family-plan

I spent literally months comparing DirecTV, U-Verse, Vonage, Verizon, Earthlink, etc'. The aforementioned 'bundles' that I chose offered the best prices by far, at the time. . .

Last edited:
why TW cable and dish network

i thinks its gonna be
TW- for phone and internet bundle $75
continue with directv
continue you with sprint and the "simply everything package", I'd love to have an iphone they charge for the data packages. sprint doesn't for my curve.

Still researching. OVERALL the uverse is the best so far for what you get, i just can't wait 3 weeks for service!!!!!
10mb, unlimited phone and LD, uverse 200 for $150

i like the dvr recording options with uverse and the fiber hookup.

still researching!!!!!

I am using TW for both internet and TV, I have the turbo speed and it is really fast, I mostly got it for the upload speed. The internet service has been good, TV is decent... both are a little pricey. I think my internet has been down maybe once for a few hours in the last two years.

I think you will be the 3rd NSX in Cedar Park, Luis is also here. I'm on 1431 near New Hope, where is your new place?

Drop me a line when you are in town and up for a drive.

Ko,

My sister has Earthlink Cable Internet and Phone, and no TV. The signal rides on the Time Warner copper, but hardware and support is through Earthlink. The service has been good, and if I remember, a bit more economical than TW's Road Runner service.

Down here I have Charter Cable's high speed internet at the moment. I'm a Dish Network subscriber (long time satisfied customer), and am with you that HSI and TV don't mix.

Miner

TW sucks. The company has no concept of customer service. If you have any issue, expect to wait 2-10 days for a tech to show up. And the arrival window is generally "sometime between 8am and 8pm."

Despite that, they wouldn't accept my promise that I would pay my bill "sometime between Jan and Dec."

why TW cable and dish network[?]
Well, I have Dish Network for Int'l programming that is unable by other providers (it's a package of 5-6 exclusive channels for foreign news/music/movies/etc'...) & Time Warner for regular & HD-programming. Int'l programming is an absolute must, not for me but for my family.

I would've stayed w/ Dish' for regular programming as well & simply upgraded to their HD-package as I have been very satisfied w/ my service for the past 8 or so years, but they [Dish'] wanted me to buy their digital-receivers for a few C-notes (I needed at least 2). I absolutely abhor having to buy equipment or even pay a monthly rental-fee, for me it's always a deal-breaker. I don't mind contracts, but added fees irk me like nothing else!

Time Warner gave me (3) free HD-receivers w/ no equipment rental-fees (only a $10/month for DVR-equipment, of which I don't want/need; but, oddly the DVR-service was a freebie when I was offered the bundle). They also have a cable-modem & wireless-router at no-charge (but this seems to be norm now even w/ other providers).

So, $109 pre-tax for vast local/regional, standard & HD-programming, ridiculously fast-interwebz, and unlimited long-distance phone-service is/was unbeatable... IMHO!

As aforementioned, I extensively/diligently researched all the local-area service providers for months. Every other bundle or ala'carte service had some misc' fee or charge (ie. HD-receiver purchase or rental, local-channels charge, HD-programming fee, DVR-service fee, extra-cost for long-distance, internet-upgrade tiers, blah-bla-bah...).

Regarding customer-service, QA/QC, and whatever else... well, to be quite concise: every company/service-provider is more-or-less the same. A smile, patience, and a cordial yet assertive demeanor by you/yourself will ultimately get you what you want, regardless of the vendor. Been there, done that. . .

Last edited:
I ordered the uverse service, im gonna use TW just to fill in until they can install the uverse. I have 3 HD tv's and not having to run parallel coax for the directv DVRS was the main reason. My car is still in St.louis, but i hope to have it by the end of the Jan. i wonder if i can get a personalized texas plate to match mine??? thanks for all the help guys, looking forward to seeing more of austin and the nsx's there.

I am using TW for both internet and TV, I have the turbo speed and it is really fast, I mostly got it for the upload speed. The internet service has been good, TV is decent... both are a little pricey. I think my internet has been down maybe once for a few hours in the last two years.

I think you will be the 3rd NSX in Cedar Park, Luis is also here. I'm on 1431 near New Hope, where is your new place?

Drop me a line when you are in town and up for a drive.

101 S. Prize Oaks
cedar park, TX. 78613

i REALLY have no idea how to get around yet!!

i REALLY have no idea how to get around yet!!

Get a Toll Pass (Txtag.org) for all the tollways in Austin.

Personalized plates are like $30 - $50, with many options. I think the folks at the DMV can now check for availability while you wait. When I got mine, I had to apply and wait several weeks to find out "MINER" was available.

I should be up to Cedar Park in mid to late Jan for some meetings at Lake Travis (UT). Probably will drive a rental though.

Welcome to wierd Austin.

Mark

Back