• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Internet provider - AT&T v.s. Comcast

I currently use Comcast as my Internet provider but I am considering switching to AT&T. Anyone been in a similar position? What were your findings? I recently read a review of the two and they suggested that AT&T was a better option. The result of the review stated an upgraded AT&T Internet package was about as fast as Comcast, the customer service was better and it was about $15.00 less expensive per month.

I live in San Francisco.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

U-Verse is the best by far. My wife and I were upset when we moved and no longer had U-Verse as an option. Internet was routinely faster for the same paid rate. Plus, recording up to 4 channels at once can't be beat.

edit: If your talking AT&T DSL, then I have had better luck with cable companies.

Last edited:
Most of the quality of your service / internet speed depends from how far away from signal amplifying box you live. This is true for both AT&T and Comcast, sometimes when the signal is too low they would not even let you sign up for their service knowing that you will complain :)

So if you consider the perfect signal strength to be 100 points and you know someone who lives in an area where comcast had 30 points and att has 85 then this individual will tell you that comcast sucks and vice versa.

my .02

AT&T is heavily promoting Uverse in my area. If you ever get them on the phone, they will try to get you on some special promotional pricing and can lower the pricing even further if you show that you're not interested.

Uverse's top speed right now is 24/3. Comcast areas with Docsis 3.0 will have speeds up to 105 down, 10 up, depends on the area. So if speed is more important, go with Comcast.

Had ATT DSL and went to Comcast cable. ATT had terrible service both DSL and customer service. It went down at least once day. Was even charged $80 when the tech stood at the door and didnt come in the house. Everyone will have their issues. If I could I would switch from Comcast but options are limited.

Had ATT DSL and went to Comcast cable. ATT had terrible service both DSL and customer service. It went down at least once day. Was even charged $80 when the tech stood at the door and didnt come in the house. Everyone will have their issues. If I could I would switch from Comcast but options are limited.

+1 I am switching from speakeasy (which works great btw and is usually available in areas that AT&T is) to comcast so I can get the 50Mbit down / 20Mbit up speeds... DSL is just too slow!

I agree AT&T's customer service is absolutely atrocious...

Wow, I guess it really is dependent on where you live. Everyone I know has had problems with Comcast here in Florida. When I had them I would constantly lose my connection and had to use dial-up a lot. I've ben very satisfied with AT&T and wish that Uverse was available where I live now.

Wow, I guess it really is dependent on where you live. Everyone I know has had problems with Comcast here in Florida. When I had them I would constantly lose my connection and had to use dial-up a lot. I've ben very satisfied with AT&T and wish that Uverse was available where I live now.

Comcast in Florida had a huge problem with cable modem theft of service. People were buying the modem from the stores and going home and activating them and getting cable modem service for free, basically hogging up all the bandwidth. It was a cable modem theft of service free for all over there.

I live in SF and have had both comcast and att dsl (not their vdsl uverse service though). I dropped comcast after ditching cable TV, since it was way expensive for the bandwidth IIRC. AT&T was reliable and delivered their advertised speed for months until one day when the internet went out. After several calls, a tech came out and he said the line could only be brought back up at half of the speed it was running at previously and I was paying for.

I'm currently using sonic.net's adsl2 service, which is 20mb down and 1 mb up for $50/month, and they've been great so far. Their customer support was fantastic when I needed to call in and have them check my line.

I live in SF and have had both comcast and att dsl (not their vdsl uverse service though). I dropped comcast after ditching cable TV, since it was way expensive for the bandwidth IIRC. AT&T was reliable and delivered their advertised speed for months until one day when the internet went out. After several calls, a tech came out and he said the line could only be brought back up at half of the speed it was running at previously and I was paying for.

I'm currently using sonic.net's adsl2 service, which is 20mb down and 1 mb up for $50/month, and they've been great so far. Their customer support was fantastic when I needed to call in and have them check my line.

Please take no offense and take this with humor but did you really wait almost 7 years for this to be your first post ? :):)

Please take no offense and take this with humor but did you really wait almost 7 years for this to be your first post ? :):)

Heh, no offense taken. I've always been a lurker on forums in general.

This topic is something I actually have experience with here in SF, so I felt I could finally contribute. I really enjoy the off topic forum on prime, it has civility many other boards seem to lack. Maybe I'll be posting more... :)

Back