• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Introduce New NA1 Non-Pop up headlight conversion like NA2

4.jpg

can somebody photoshop this pic also?

Last edited:
Now... that looks good! The headlight won't be protected but for me we got a possible winner! :cool:
That's what you get with possible customer inputs.

i think it looks much better- you can always install small plexi or glass discs to protect the lense, although i don't think it is necessary.
now with less labor the price can be dropped too (or offer 2 versions)

here are some potentially important questions:

-what lights are you using? do they have a good light-pattern or are they just for show?
-can the light's base-housing mold be adjusted to allow a smoother blend of the front edge of it and the car's nose section like the oem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive me if this has been asked.....Do these have beam adjusters for height and side to side?
Not to my knowledge. I've asked previously about beam pattern and adjustment options for these lights. It's useless for me if these are just eye candy but functionally useless.

I guess i'll just wait until the first batch of folks buys this and hopefully they can review the product.

We can do it with out the glass on the headlight it might make the headlight look more like the Zonda and you can paint it easier.
On the bubble we cannot do any more adjustment on it. Because the housing base already made we can not change the height of it.
As you can see the 02 headlight is more longer than the old one. If we move the light for forward it will look worst than this.

Not the 'bubble' of the light bulb housing itself, ... Just the glass over the light housing. Closing down the 'gap' that is inside the glass housing, to match or better the space inside the '02 lights, ... will, IMO, make a world of difference in how it looks with the glass housing intact.

Anybody able to PS the light with a 'narrowed' down gap in the glass housing for the lights. Just look at the side view of an '02 light housing...

Anybody able to PS the light with a 'narrowed' down gap in the glass housing for the lights. Just look at the side view of an '02 light housing...

The problem is, when he first posted these pictures, a year ago, people had the same reaction - they told him to make the lights flush, to copy the BYS lights, to reduce the 'bubble' - he said he had reduced the bubble, had narrowed the lights substantially, then after several months, posts the 'production' light, which looks identical to the original design.

There is a miata headlight that looks like these lights without the cover, I think it looks horrible, here:

mazda_mx5_tuning.jpg

Different strokes for different folks, but flip ups look better than these, imo.

yeah....i think the problem is the glass, ... the projector type housing doesn't look all that bad, ... and you only have so much room to work with inside the housing, etc....

here's my 2 minute sketch of what would look better IMO....

cutglass.jpg

I think you Have to make the glass housing this size if you want to light to flow better with the NSX...

Maybe someone posted this.. but what I find curious about the 02 and 02 derivative style headlights is... why Honda didn't make them flush?

Anyone know?

I can think of a couple possible reasons:

1.) Increased downforce on the hood because the air goes up then flat, but with the cost of drag. This is pure speculation with no backround in proper engineering :)
2.) They actually thought it would look cooler.

Origionally, I thought they were ugly, but it grew on me.. The flat headlights though look very sexy...

During the day the pre 02 front looks STUNNING and clean (btw that's why we ALL here fallen in love for the NSX) ... is just @ night when they come out when the lights look "retro" ... i drive mine more on the weekends and barely @ night .. that doesn't bother me 2 much ...

Oscar

Maybe someone posted this.. but what I find curious about the 02 and 02 derivative style headlights is... why Honda didn't make them flush?

Anyone know?

1.) Increased downforce on the hood because the air goes up then flat, but with the cost of drag. This is pure speculation with no backround in proper engineering :)

Origionally, I thought they were ugly, but it grew on me.. The flat headlights though look very sexy...

Coming from a car design background, I would bet that they had to in order to meet the federal minimum headlight height requirements. I think that is why they did pop ups originally as well I read somewhere.

i have an idea

leave the bubble out of the headlights

instead of paint matching it to the body color, what if you paint them a shiny glossy silverish color to give the effect that theres a bubble on it!:biggrin:

i think that would look nice

Here are the pictures of my setup. They were easy to put on the car. I am still working on the electrical hookup. The NSX has a series of relays so while I can get the single headlight to light I have not been able to get the high beams on yet. I anticipate that with a little work this can be dealt with. I think they look pretty good. The more I look at my setup the more I like it. A lot of folks on this forum are trying to compare this headlight to the 02. I understand that, however lets not forget that the 02 has a different bumper, hood, etcetera. That results in a lower profile. If you want the more modern look associated with new cars that do not use retractable headlights then you can either spend the money about $5000 plus painting or go with a headlight like the one I used. I think if you take the cover off you will be sorry as they will become very dirty within a short period of time. I think they will look unfinished. Just my opinion. I applaud these guys for coming up with some mods for our cars. There are not a lot of our cars around so the money to be made is not as great as doing something for a Prius, or Porsche. We should thank William for his efforts.

Manny

two words: Light coverage.

Miata community had a few different design as well, and for those who is really into improving Light output and "coverage area"; they weren't happy with any of the flush mounted, non flip up designs. (They have a Hella European replacement housing as bench mark.) They weren't impressed even with HID retrofit in the system.

Anyone know?

1-1.jpg

no offense, it looks ok with the Zonda, it could get away from it with its steeper front hood.

but on the nsx, it looks awweezzzzzume:

200px-Jjportrait.jpg

to each its own.

Last edited:
Here are the pictures of my setup. They were easy to put on the car. I am still working on the electrical hookup. The NSX has a series of relays so while I can get the single headlight to light I have not been able to get the high beams on yet. I anticipate that with a little work this can be dealt with. I think they look pretty good. The more I look at my setup the more I like it. A lot of folks on this forum are trying to compare this headlight to the 02. I understand that, however lets not forget that the 02 has a different bumper, hood, etcetera. That results in a lower profile. If you want the more modern look associated with new cars that do not use retractable headlights then you can either spend the money about $5000 plus painting or go with a headlight like the one I used. I think if you take the cover off you will be sorry as they will become very dirty within a short period of time. I think they will look unfinished. Just my opinion. I applaud these guys for coming up with some mods for our cars. There are not a lot of our cars around so the money to be made is not as great as doing something for a Prius, or Porsche. We should thank William for his efforts.

Manny

the front looks good but the side aka the hump.. not so appealing

but +1 for william for putting his time/effort

confirm
1. QWKSLVR
2.thoangbui
3. Kdfsplit
4. Diablo360
5. Kdirty130
6. T&T Boise
7. arturo9801
8. Omega1

unconfirm
1.yoojeankim

OK, I like the design without the bubble cover a lot better. I would agree to be the first 'guinea pig' to buy a set, color match and put them on my 2001 Monaco Blue Pearl. This way, all interested parties could see an actual set without being Photoshoped! Let me know. :smile:

Would you be interested in selling the headlight assembly without the lights and wiring assembly. Just the housing at a discount price? Lmk

Manny
Questions:
Since your install, rate the quality on a scale of 1 thru 10!
Has anyone installed hid's yet with pics?
Is there a set price yet?
Can someone photochop those on a black car? Thanks

Last edited:
By the way someone asked if you can adjust the headlight beam. The answer is yes. Each light has three wing nuts and springs so that you can adjust the light pattern. I have yet to do this but will try very soon. Also with respect to HIDs. I have them setup on my old pop ups. I will take a look to see if they can fit in the new setup. At the Car and Coffee meet the other week a number of people came up and responed that they liked the setup. I will try and make the Jan31 Car and Coffee meet. So many of you can see for yourself. As for the install I would rate it relatively easy to do. I am still playing with the electricals. I would rate the fit to be about a 9.

Manny

Back