• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Introducing the Acura NSX DIY LED Taillight Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
PM replied.
Can I ask for help? I don't know what to do.. I bought the L.E.D. tail lights from apkarian100 and sent him my recently bought used 02 taillights cover to get installed from him. we had a few problems but we resolved them nicely and everything seemed went well.. he asked me my shiping address about little over 2 weeks ago and I accidently gave him wrong zip code..confused with my house zip code with business zip code..I found out this yesderday. the problem is I haven't had any respond from apkarian100 for a week.

He said he sent them out 2wks ago but he didn't give me the traking number...after I ask about tracking number last week,. he said he would look for them. but never Pm me back.. I sent about 5 pms afterward he didn't answer any of them for a week now.. I am worried now b/c he was very good with communication before he got the money... It used to take less than a day to get a respond from him..now all I got was "I will look for your tracking number" for last 2 weeks... I dont want to ruin his reputation, but I don't wat to lose my money for nothing,, with used 02 tail lights and installation for L.E.D. I spent quite alot of money......

anyone talk to apkarian100 lately..?
I know it is kind of my fault.. but If I had a tracking number I could have tracked them down...

Pardon me for my late responses and action as of the past week. My grandfather went into the hospital and isn't doing too great. I have responded to all issues people have brought up.

Last edited:
I am sorry for making you wait so long. It will be there before you know it.
I sent one of my taillights to Chris over a month ago for repair, as a few leds failed. I haven't received it back yet, though he sent it out 9 days ago. I am concerned yes, but Chris has been a stand up guy and I will patiently wait. The worse part is I cannot drive the NSX during the few months of the year that is drivable! Maybe it will arrive today... I sure hope so!

My lights are still working strong from the original first go round with all work done by the Boss.
Trev

I'm glad there are those with no problems. I'm hoping to be problem free once my taillight is returned. I received postal tracking and confirmation that Chris sent off my light yesterday. I do understand he had family issues...and I am totally sympathetic and wish him the best....but... He did tell me he sent it off 10 days earlier and it has been about 5 weeks since he received my light.
I like the product (hopefully will be problem free), I certainly support Chris and his innovative efforts, wish him the best, but in thus case... I am a bit upset at how my situation was handled.

Last edited:
Ok ! got my light in the mail yesterday 8/10/10

installed it today.... only to find the turn signal part is not working...
it is getting power, as the resistor gets hot.

pm'd chris....

I am really beside myself at this point.

I got my lights quickly and had no problems. I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

Got mine installed and no problems yet. I'm sure he will help you out.

Just some bad luck for sure Sandman, chris will fix this for you.

Really happy with my setup, now that the midnightsun is gone i can actually enjoy them even more:biggrin:

Indeed Chris is being helpful.... and I hope to get it all resolved. If I sound unreasonable, it is out of frustration. I am just having the worst time with my stuff! My NSX... my Seadoo is on the fritz.... garage door opener broke... a perfect storm of stuff neeing my attention... with so little time.

Ok! I took the light off again. I found a broken red (always a bad sign) wire. The question was, where did I break off from? After a quick call to Chris, we decided it broke off the voltage regulator. With some helping hands, a good flashlight, and some fancy soldering, I was able to solder the wire. After testing the unit, I installed it for the last time hopefully.

So if anyone cares, I fixed the garage door opener (old republic home warranty has forever let my business btw), fixed the seadoo, fixed the spa, fixed my aerogarden, fixed a skylight screen (and Im scared of heights)and now the nsx. Whew.

Last edited:
So everything works now? That's great! Glad I could help you out.
Ok! I took the light off again. I found a broken red (always a bad sign) wire. The question was, where did I break off from? After a quick call to Chris, we decided it broke off the voltage regulator. With some helping hands, a good flashlight, and some fancy soldering, I was able to solder the wire. After testing the unit, I installed it for the last time hopefully.

So if anyone cares, I fixed the garage door opener (old republic home warranty has forever let my business btw), fixed the seadoo, fixed the spa, fixed my aerogarden, fixed a skylight screen (and Im scared of heights)and now the nsx. Whew.

I must say Trev... I hate you for showing up to the meet here with these LED's. Cause now I want them. Another thing to tack on to the winter mods... ughhhh

QPDO

Anyone know where Chris is. A few LED's of mine are out and I pm'd him. I know he'll help me, but I don't won't too wait to long is all.

D

Last edited:
how are these holding up? thinking about getting some once i switch over to 02+ lights

Pretty good overall I think

My drivers side is having problems. About 6 LED's blew out. He helped me out with the 1st 3. I'm still waiting on the other 3.

I don't know where he is now though. I'm sure he will come through. Hopefully soon

D

I'm worried too.. I originally order my kit on early june aroud 6th-10th.
and got them back august 13th.. but when I installed them, left tail light had 3 dead L.E.D., so I complained him and send it back to him right away, it has been another 2 months and he didn't respond any of my P.M.s It sucks, I couldn't drive my NSX at all this year, It is gonna snow soon in Michigan said:frown::frown::frown::frown:

Thanks a lot... I'm gonna wait a bit til December and see if more go out first and if Chris will help me fix em instead of doing them myself. That way the car won't need to be driven either.

I appreciate it :D

I sure hope Chris pops back up at some point and that things are okay. In the meantime, I thought I would share some possible helpful information regarding troubleshooting for when I first got my kit around the beginning of the new year. I had some LED's out upon arrival and here are some troubleshooting steps Chris gave me which I will post here for the purpose of adding to the knowledge base and for the overall benefit of the forum regarding this thread:

"So have 8 LEDs out. Of those LEDs 6 are paired in threes and one group is paired in a group of 2. Closely inspect the solder bridges on the back of the circuit board. A solder bridge might be loose. Next inspect the solder joints connection the resistors and connecting the positive leads. make sure they are attached. next check if the LEDs are going the right way. You'll notice on top of each LED it will have 2 dots on one side. The dots all go a specific way. They all follow a pattern, except for the those 2 LEDs that are out. One those LEDs, the top LED follows the pattern of the horizontal row it's in; the other LED it reversed.

Finally, check to see if any of the LEDs are burnt out. You'll notice an LED is burnt out if the lens of the LED looks black or slightly discolor from the rest."

I replied with some pics of the backside and he had the following advice:

"Okay, for the middle section, I see one of the long wires in the middle bent. Straighten that out, and see if that does anything. In that area, check to see if anything is accidentally touching spots they aren't meant to.

You are right about the 2 LEDs out of the ends, one of the resistors is missing, and should be there. Do you have the correct value resistor that should go there? If not, let me know your address again, and I'll send you the resistor, along with spares.

Finally, on the other section that went out, I see nothing physically wrong, so it leads me to believe something was burnt out. The LEDs are sensitive devices, and could be damaged even by static electricity. My suggestion is replace all 3 LEDs, along with the resistor connected to the 3 LEDs, and let me know if that fixes anything."

In the end, no bulbs had burnt out but rather Chris stated "the LED module bent a tiny bit in the box initially, bending wires, and making some short circuits and such."

He fixed everything at the time and everything is fine as of now.

Also, you may find it beneficial to know that during a discussion on controlling LED intensity/output...he mentioned the following:

"Variable Resistor - To make the dimming function, I have to use a variable resistor and tune it myself before I send the LED kit out. To control it, get a small precision screwdriver and find the blue square looking electrical component on the board. It has a little brass screw terminal on it. Turn the screw either left many times or right many times to adjust intensity. It will require a lot of turns, these variable resistors are 25 turn."

I personally found that 8 turns either way made a noticeable difference. If you have the straight-bar style, each tail light has 204 LEDS for a total of 408 and if you replace any, make sure you drop them in according to how he described above in reference to the dots orientation. If a resistor needs replacing, this calculator can show you what the value is that you are needing as Chris had also mentioned to me that his supplier had switched some brands so some resistors will look different possibly from one taillight to the next, but still provide the same overall resistance value.

Hope that helps and hope Chris is okay.

Can anyone send me the pdf or word doc on how to get these things apart. I need it again.

Anyone want to do this for me? LOL.

Any word on Chris yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back