• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iphone = DYNO

I recently came across this app that turns an iphone into a dyno. 0-60 times, hp and many other data points. I havent been to the dyno since increasing my boost an I think this would be the greatest thing since sliced bread if it works!

http://www.nextautos.com/iphone-app-puts-a-dyno-in-your-pocket?gid=10237&nid=26810#gallery-10237
It seems that application has arrived. View the incredible Dynolicious, a $12.99 automotive app for your iPhone. Using the phone’s built-in accelerometers, the app samples data “as many as one hundred times per second.” It creates a tiny automotive genius in your pocket—good to measuring the performance of whatever vehicle you’re in (we suppose it would work for running, too). It can measure things such as:

0-60 MPH
Other Speed Tests (0-10 MPH through 0-100 MPH in 10MPH increments)
Quarter Mile Elapsed Time
Quarter Mile Trap Speed
Elapsed Time and Trap Speed for standard intervals (60', 330', 1/8 Mi, 1000')
Lateral G's (current and peak)
Braking G's (current and peak)
Wheel Horsepower
Estimated Engine Horsepower
When you’re done recording your run, the Dynolicous app will show you your results with a speedometer and graphs, a skidpad display, and also against saved information in the unit. Change settings on your car and compare the times in different saved settings.

I do not have an iphone but would someone give it a try and let the rest of us know?

Last edited:
It works really well, IMO it is worth the price even just for the cornering and braking G alone. You should have some amazing results with the turbo NSX.

People with ego bigger than their head can easily fake the result by not mounting it correctly and maniuplating the results. If mounted securely, it is quite accurate, IMO it is better than my GTtech unit. The key is make sure the Iphone is fully secured and will not bounce even 1mm off the mounting spot. The way I mount the Iphne is using a stick pad on the falt areas of the arm rest. Mounting it on the dash will guarantee the phone fly off and hit the window during acceleration.

On my only test with the NSX, I got 365rwhp with light launch letting off at 82.9mph (max speed, 0~80mph=6.94sec), still did 60mph in high 4secs. My 2.72sec 60' time indicated the soft launch. I can trim .8~1sec off my 60' time with proper launch, maybe even make a sub 4s run.

On my bone stock 335i, I got 5.17sec launching at 1800rpm at stock boost, well off the 4.8~4.9 sec 335i got from some magazine tests. Soon the boost will be bump up from 8psi to 15psi via JB3.

One amazing thing is that the MPH during accerlation on the iphone matches the speedometer on the car during acceleration.

Last edited:
Back