• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPhone: real from fake, how do you tell?

As mentioned in other threads, I am on TMobile and looking to get an iPhone to unlock and use on TMobile's network. (hate ATT and don't want to spend double on the service)

My question is how do you tell if a used phone is a real or clone? It seems as if some of the good fakes even have apple logo's on them now and look identical. Anything I can do to make sure I don't get taken? Thanks.

Jeff

My question is how do you tell if a used phone is a real or clone? It seems as if some of the good fakes even have apple logo's on them now and look identical. Anything I can do to make sure I don't get taken?
The reports and pictures of the clones I've seen wouldn't fool anyone who's used an iPhone. Not for long, anyway. I would hook it up to a computer with iTunes installed. If iTunes recognizes it as an iPhone, it almost certainly is.

The reports and pictures of the clones I've seen wouldn't fool anyone who's used an iPhone. Not for long, anyway. I would hook it up to a computer with iTunes installed. If iTunes recognizes it as an iPhone, it almost certainly is.

Honestly there isn't much on the internet about this issue, but I have seen websites for clones that look identical. I have never used an iphone for an extended period so don't know the differences in functionality. If buying on craigslist, then I would be meeting someone in a parking lot or something so not much testing that can be done.

Good suggestion that I could bring my computer and try to hook up to itunes. Any others that tell me whether real or fake?

Look for the apple logo in the back of the phone but like others have said its easy to tell the difference ....... Verizon will be carrying the Iphone soon so you may want to wait for the release.

There is more that 40 different models that are described as fake iphones. The most common differences between the real iphone and fakes are:

- iphone does not have a removable battery (you will need to take the phone apart to remove it)

- iphone does not open, there is no back/battery cover.

- iphone takes only one simcard (1/3 of fakes have 2 slots).

- new, fresh out of the box iphone needs to be activated (if someone is selling you an iphone that you can take out of a sealed box and make a call out of it before connecting to a computer it must be fake)

- iphone does not come with a stylus.

- iphone has a 2 piece charger (small square wall adapter + usb data cable)

- iphone's imei numbers start with 011 ( type *#06# to check imei)

I will see if i can think of something else that could be significant.

Iphones could easily be unlocked so you can use it on T-Mobile network. Apple iPhone is actually the only debranded phone that of today you could buy from att and after unlocked you as a tmobile customer are not loosing any features except for slower internet.

Make sure to save money by getting the 2G version. T-mobile run's their 3G network on a different frequency (2 frequencies actually) than AT&T. There are rumors that there is a way to hack (by flashing) the radio frequencies to include the correct band for T-mobile. Also, for android phones, there is visual voice mail capabilities, so it would just be a matter or when someone makes an app for the iphone in the jailbreak market to support T-mobile.

I second the suggestion of waiting for VZW to release their iPhone. If it wasn't for the iPhone, I don't think AT&T would have as many customers since their service just out right sucks. I'm actually surprised at how reliable T-mobile's network has become (after their 3G towers went up), especially at the price point. BTW, it's rumored that T-mobile is beta testing 4G in one or two major cities right now.

Signed: An android user and T-mobile customer.

Last edited:
T-Mobile's 3G runs on only one frequency - 1700 MHz, att runs on 2 - 850 and 1900 and European iphones run on 2100. Changing the frequencys is not only a software operation, hardware modifications have to be made as well. Based on my past experience those are not easy.

Make sure to save yourself some headache by getting the 3G iphone, the 2g is at best 1.5 year old and at worst 2.5 years old. Iphone is not a NSX, they don't last this long. The 3G iphone is better built plus it gives you more options incase if it goes bad. If you have a 2g iphone you allomst can't hear when someone is calling if you are standing a street and the phone is in your pocket.

Make sure to save money by getting the 2G version. T-mobile run's their 3G network on a different frequency (2 frequencies actually) than AT&T. There are rumors that there is a way to hack (by flashing) the radio frequencies to include the correct band for T-mobile. Also, for android phones, there is visual voice mail capabilities, so it would just be a matter or when someone makes an app for the iphone in the jailbreak market to support T-mobile.

I second the suggestion of waiting for VZW to release their iPhone. If it wasn't for the iPhone, I don't think AT&T would have as many customers since their service just out right sucks. I'm actually surprised at how reliable T-mobile's network has become (after their 3G towers went up), especially at the price point. BTW, it's rumored that T-mobile is beta testing 4G in one or two major cities right now.

Signed: An android user and T-mobile customer.

Last edited:
....... Verizon will be carrying the Iphone soon so you may want to wait for the release.

Any more info on that? The rumor about Verizon carrying it has been out there for a while (since the release of the original iPhone), but nobody at Verizon or Apple has come out and said it.

T-Mobile's 3G runs on only one frequency - 1700 MHz, att runs on 2 - 850 and 1900 and European iphones run on 2100. Changing the frequencys is not only a software operation, hardware modifications have to be made as well. Based on my past experience those are not easy.

T-mobile USA's 3G network actually uses the 1700 and 2100 frequency bands (one is for upstream and the other is for downstream). As far as hardware changes, this is not the old days where cars tuned into stations mechanically by turning knobs which changed the capacitance, these days it's all done electronically. The firmware is what tells a phone what frequency it to use, yes the length of the antenna determines what range the frequency can be in, but the firmware is what tells the hardware what to do. None of the less, modifying firmware is not easy.

Any more info on that? The rumor about Verizon carrying it has been out there for a while (since the release of the original iPhone), but nobody at Verizon or Apple has come out and said it.

Rumors are now that is NOT happening with these commercials attacking the iPhone with the Droid. Time will tell. The iPhone is not exclusive anywhere but the USA anymore. It will only be a matter of time, but to my knowledge, none of the iPhones out there are CDMA.

This is relevant: http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/11/25/apple-att-fact-checking-carrier-relationship/

Last edited:
I have heard that about Verizon but their plans are the same price as ATT and TMobile is 1/2 of that. Not sure about Verizon's customer service but TMobile's is very good. Don't see why if Verizon is looking, TMobile wouldn't be doing the same.

I have heard that about Verizon but their plans are the same price as ATT and TMobile is 1/2 of that. Not sure about Verizon's customer service but TMobile's is very good. Don't see why if Verizon is looking, TMobile wouldn't be doing the same.

T-mobile has horrible 3g coverage. They are far behind everyone else. Apparently they are working on rolling out HSPA 21+ but that will be a while away still. They are STILL not 3g where I live and only got 3G in Jacksonville, FL a few months ago.

I have never had a problem with T-mobile customer service, but their lack of 3g and great phones makes me want to leave. Too bad I have a year left on my wifes phone and they want $200 to cancel!:mad: My contract is up!:biggrin:

Every company like T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon or even cricKet has its place on market. T-Mobile is cheaper than competitors but AT&T has better 3G coverage which you pay for on your bill:) Some people woould say " screw your 3G, i gor $40 unlimited on a phone that i don't care about" Iphone is a big hit in the U.S. because of how poor the market is in general. In Europe the "big iPhone" thing ended 3 months after they came out. Do some research about Nokia N97, Nokia X6, Samsung omnia HD and then see if you still want your iPhone...

Last edited:
Isn't it CDMA that doesn't allow for voice and data at the same time? I'm not sure Apple would allow a version of their phones that didn't work as well as the norm.

Every company like T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon or even cricKet has its place on market. T-Mobile is cheaper than competitors but AT&T has better 3G coverage which you pay for on your bill:) Some people woould say " screw your 3G, i gor $40 unlimited on a phone that i don't care about" Iphone is a big hit in the U.S. because of how poor the market is in general. In Europe the "big iPhone" thing ended 3 months after they came out. Do some research about Nokia N97, Nokia X6, Samsung omnia HD and then see if you still want your iPhone...

I researched the N97 whose reviews said that if this is the best that Nokia can do, they will die a slow death. Not a great start. :) The X6 is available in Europe only I think so that leaves the Samsung. Great review and looks pretty good but very expensive.

I keep hearing all this crap about ATT having a better tier 1 network than TMobile or other networks. That is great and all but why do nearly all the ATT users I know hate the service and constantly drop calls or cut out when I do not? ATT is usually rated on the bottom in the city by city comparisons I have seen. Verizon has better phones, but they are the same price as ATT so then I might as well have in iphone.

Isn't it CDMA that doesn't allow for voice and data at the same time? I'm not sure Apple would allow a version of their phones that didn't work as well as the norm.

You could argue that the iPhone in most of the USA doesn't work as well as the norm due to the network.

The Iphone on the new CDN networks should be impressive. HSPA 21+. Of course the 3gs only supports HSPA 7.2.

my coworker bought one off his uncle. looked like an iphone at first but when i checked it out, it didnt feel right. the back cover didnt not snap in place so the phone looked like it was falling apart. you have to push hard on the buttons for it to function. the apple logo on the back was a sticker! the screen was small too.

Just FYI, I've been using a 2g iPhone from AT&T via my T-Mobile service and it is/has been working flawlessly! My friend unlocked it for me in about 10-15 minutes. I love the iPhone.

Back