• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ipod - Metra Axxess hookup at Circuit City

I was looking to install an Ipod in my NSX so I went down to Circuit City to look at the USA Spec Interface. The salesperson told me about a different interface called the Metra Axxess HOIP-01(metraonline.com). This interface uses the CD changer plug on the back of the OEM Headunit to connect and to power the IPod. The box says that it fits multiple years of Acura and Honda stereos. This unit also allows you to use the OEM headunit CD controls to change songs on the Ipod. It costs $129. I was wondering if anyone had had any info or experience with this unit. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Rod

Here is a ad for this product.

Axxess HOIP-01 Acura / Honda iPod interface.
This iPod adapter allows enjoyment of iPod tunes
over an OEM radio incorporating a CD controller device.
These specialty interfaces enhance the iPod experience
by allowing the alphanumeric display
on the track title on the radio's display.

FEATURES:
* Universal iPod controller allows direct feed of any
external audio signal to Acura and Honda vehicles.
* Provides switched voltage source for charging
* Allows play list and track selection from OEM radio

HOIP-01
INTERFACE APPLICATIONS:

ACURA:
CL 1999-2003
TL 1999-2003
MDX 2001-2005

HONDA:
1998-2002 ACCORD
1999-2004 CIVIC
1999-2004 CRV
1999-2004 ODYSSEY
2003-2004 PILOT
1999-2001 PRELUDE
2000-2005 S2000

NOTE: This interface requires disconnecting
the factory CD changer or satellite tuner in
order to access your iPOD.

INTERFACE FEATURES:
Adapts iPod and iPod mini to Honda and Acura radios

INTERFACE COMPONENTS: • iPod interface module
• iPod to iPod interface cable
• iPod to vehicle T-harness
• Universal mounting bracket

FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED

1 Only at this Price
Regular SALE PRICE $169.99

METRA AXXESS WIRE-TUNES 98-2005 ACURA / HONDA DIGITAL INTERFACE FOR APPLE iPOD HOIP-01 HOIP-01

My guess is that because the NSX is not listed it will not work. The NSX headunit lacks features that the other models have, thus not work. If it does work, it will have limited capabilities compared to other vehicles that it works on.

As Veleno says the Acuras listed use a different interface from that in the NSX. Therefore this unit will most likely not work in the NSX.

On the other hand the USA*Spec is EXCELLENT! I have 2 of them in 2 different cars and the performance is flawless! It's cheap, sounds great, simple to install, and foolproof interface. Best of all it has an extra input for whatever device may come down the pipes in the future! Zune?

FYI if you want the simplicity of the metra product and not have to deal with the need for a power source for the iPod you could look at the USA*Spec (usaspec.com) PA11 HON interface. It has a direct iPod connection and still provides the additional AUX connection for future expansion. It also has some features for playlists, song controls, etc. This may be a little more expensive than the DF-HON plus Belkin adapter combo but it could be "cleaner".

Thanks for the info. I spoke to an installer today and he was in agreement with you guys. I will look definitely look into the options you suggested.

Rod

Has anyone actually installed the USA*Spec PA11-HON in there NSX. I have a '98 T and am trying to find a "simple" installation. The guy a Circuit City said the connector in the trunk (CD player) will not work to some kind of communication problems. The directions I've seen to install the USA*Spec df-hon in the radio directly didn't seem so simple. The trunk mount would be a lot easier.
Teek

tkamrin said:
Has anyone actually installed the USA*Spec PA11-HON in there NSX. I have a '98 T and am trying to find a "simple" installation. The guy a Circuit City said the connector in the trunk (CD player) will not work to some kind of communication problems. The directions I've seen to install the USA*Spec df-hon in the radio directly didn't seem so simple. The trunk mount would be a lot easier.
Teek

See my reply in the other thread regarding the advantages/disadvantages of the PA11 versus the DF unit.

With regard to "simplifying" the installation I don't see why connecting the unit in the trunk would not work. The only problem would be that the iPod would be left in the trunk unless you wanted to extend the cables and fish them all the way into the cabin.

Honestly if you follow the steps in my tutorial the installation is a piece-of-cake!!!

No need to pay someone $$ to do it since it is so simple!

http://www.legendtuner.com/LEGENDtuner/upgrades/iPodNSX.html

Back