• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ipod without a head unit?

Another option is to run a Parrot Bluetooth system. They have kits with and without displays. While the install complexity may be a bit more than a simple line level preamp w/ volume control, it will give you much more goodness including Bluetooth phone calls, A2DP music streaming and control. The kits also have 30 pin dock connector capability. The remote control is small.

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits

I did the cheapest thing I could think of, since I have moved to an Android phone.
1. Disassemble the CD changer.
2. Remove the two 100 Ohm resistors on the connector board which the 8 pin DIN is connected to. (If your CD Changer still works you can use a switch there, mine died years ago. )
3. Wire in a mini stereo jack.
4. Add a Bluetooth audio receiver to the trunk. I used a battery powered one from Radio Shack.
5. Pair to it with your phone.
Done.

It works pretty well. I do have to have a CD spinning in the unit. But I didn't have to wire anything into the interior.
It's ghetto but now I can listen to my latest compositions in my car and still use the Bose, which works.
I had thought of buying the CF console replacement and going with a double DIN unit but I still use that ashtray!

I paired the front and rear inputs to the factory harness; from testing the left and right each appear to provide signal to the sub and rear speaker. The red (switched-power) wire on the harness connector mates to the blue (antenna) wire; that turns on the amps when the ignition is on.
-jason

Hey Jason, I'm looking at doing this and your post is really helpful, but I just want to confirm how you did it.

By "pair", you just connected the Front Right and Rear Right channel using a 2 RCA->1 RCA Y-adaptor, then did the same on the left, then plugged both of those Y adaptors into an third connector that runs 2 RCA-->3.5mm headphone? So basically you bridge the Front-back channels but keep right-left separated.

So just get two of these:
Hosa_YRA-104.jpg

then connect the wiring harness Reds together and the Blacks together.
afterhead-factoryamp.jpg

Then just splice/solder the switched power lead and the constant power lead of the harness together, and that's it? Volume and clarity is acceptable?

I'm just looking to have basic audio, so this could be my perfect solution.

A similar question was asked over here in post #5, but never answered: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-delete-Smartphone-Bose-Amps?highlight=delete

The approach you describe is accurate. I didn't use RCA-connector adapters but connected the 3.5mm plug straight to the harness adapter. RCA adapters would be just as good. I have since switched over to the Kinivo Bluetooth adapter so that I can make phone calls. No doubt the audio quality for music suffers but it is quite convenient. I still intended to add a toggle switch for choosing between the Bluetooth and direct sources but haven't gotten to it yet.

Let me know if I forgot anything.

So in the most simple terms, how exactly would you just put a headphone jack to an iPod without a head unit.

So in the most simple terms, how exactly would you just put a headphone jack to an iPod without a head unit.

Assuming you have stock speakers, just get an "aftermarket to stock" head unit harness like the SOS one I posted above, then get some RCA to 3.5mm cables then wire it up as discussed in this thread. I haven't done mine yet, but it seems that simple.

As a note and personal experience simply plugging in something from the headphone jack of a phone or any phone will not produce the best quality. You'll need to amplify the signal slightly to do so. There is a quality difference.

What I did with my set up was ad a line output driver such as this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-EQS74...rds=clarion+line+output+driver#productDetails

Note. I'm not certain I would ad this to a stock system since it does amplify the signal slightly but for an aftermarket system where the user is looking to go directly to the amp I'd stick this from the Ipod, clarion unit, amp, to speakers setup.

Also I bought something that someone recommended here a while ago like an adjustable JL audio knob or something. Never installed it though so can't comment.

Man you guys are way more advanced than I was thinking. I am okay with electronics but I am pretty lazy so I went with the simplest and cheapest iPod connectivity of all:

cassette-adapter-small1.jpg

The sound quality isn't that great, but in terms of plug-and-play this is as easy as it gets.

Man you guys are way more advanced than I was thinking. I am okay with electronics but I am pretty lazy so I went with the simplest and cheapest iPod connectivity of all:

cassette-adapter-small1.jpg

The sound quality isn't that great, but in terms of plug-and-play this is as easy as it gets.

Well the point of this thread is to have iPod connectivity without a head unit.

Back