• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Iron Maiden Coming to US in October - Pre Sale Info

How sad for those people who posted about groups they think are great in concert. The only truly great live shows happen to be a handful of heavy metal/hard rock acts. CSN, Steely Dan, etc. might be good music to listen to while half-napping in the backyard on a nice summer evening, or sitting around a bonfire with friends reminiscing about the old days.

I guess I expected posters on an NSX board to be more discriminating; they drive a high performance machine capable of spanking over 99% of the cars out there, so why the attraction to lame-ass bands? {*Note: not all the music mentioned in this thread is snooze city; some is actually good "filler" music}.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather be behind the wheel of a F1 car, or even something like the FXX rather than lumbering around town in grandpa's Cadillac. The same tastes should carry over in other interests. Hmmm...David Crosby over Bruce Dickinson? I think not.

MoreRPMs said:
How sad for those people who posted about groups they think are great in concert. The only truly great live shows happen to be a handful of heavy metal/hard rock acts. CSN, Steely Dan, etc. might be good music to listen to while half-napping in the backyard on a nice summer evening, or sitting around a bonfire with friends reminiscing about the old days.

I guess I expected posters on an NSX board to be more discriminating; they drive a high performance machine capable of spanking over 99% of the cars out there, so why the attraction to lame-ass bands? {*Note: not all the music mentioned in this thread is snooze city; some is actually good "filler" music}.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather be behind the wheel of a F1 car, or even something like the FXX rather than lumbering around town in grandpa's Cadillac. The same tastes should carry over in other interests. Hmmm...David Crosby over Bruce Dickinson? I think not.

You make an excellent point...but I don't know what it is. :rolleyes: In Corkyspeak: who's your favorite band?

nsxtasy said:
My vote goes to these guys, whom I'll be seeing tonight:

WOW!!! What a GREAT, GREAT concert! They were absolutely AWESOME!

Here's what they played:

FLAGS OF FREEDOM
CARRY ON
WOODEN SHIPS
LONG TIME GONE
MILITARY MADNESS
AFTER THE GARDEN
LIVING WITH WAR
RESTLESS CONSUMER
SHOCK AND AWE
WOUNDED WORLD
ALMOST CUT MY HAIR
IMMIGRATION MAN
FAMILIES
DEJA VU

- Intermission -

HELPLESSLY HOPING
OUR HOUSE
ONLY LOVE
GUINEVERE
MILKY WAY TONIGHT
TREETOP FLYER
ROGER AND OUT
SOUTHBOUND TRAIN
OLD MAN TROUBLE
CARRY ME
TEACH YOUR CHILDREN
SOUTHERN CROSS
FIND THE COST
HENDRIX
LET’S IMPEACH THE PRESIDENT
FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH
CHICAGO
OHIO
WHAT ARE THEIR NAMES
ROCKIN IN THE FREE WORLD

Of course, Crosby Stills Nash Young have written and performed so many great, great songs, they could easily have done an entire second concert with songs they didn't sing, and it would have been just as impressive. Throw in their solo stuff, and they could have done a third and maybe a fourth.

There is no doubt: Crosby Stills Nash and Young are the greatest rock and roll band. Case closed.

MoreRPMs said:
How sad for those people who posted about groups they think are great in concert.
How sad for your inability to realize the enjoyment that other people get from hearing the music they love. How sad for your narrow-mindedness in thinking that you have the only valid opinion when it comes to music.

MoreRPMs said:
The only truly great live shows happen to be a handful of heavy metal/hard rock acts.
Are you really as narrow-minded as you appear?

MoreRPMs said:
CSN, Steely Dan, etc. might be good music to listen to while half-napping in the backyard on a nice summer evening, or sitting around a bonfire with friends reminiscing about the old days
...and in person, they are FANTASTIC!!! (I am referring to CSN and CSNY. I love Steely Dan's recordings but found them disappointing in person.)

MoreRPMs said:
Hmmm...David Crosby over Bruce Dickinson? I think not.
Bruce Dickinson? Never heard of him. Is he a solo act, or is he in a band?

Zennsx said:
I thought Maiden went down the tubes after Piece of Mind... Any thoughts Hugh??

I ACTUALLY FELT THAT SAME THING TOO. SOMETHING DEFINATLY CHANGED AFTER THE PIECE OF MIND TOUR 1984 ....I WAS THERE AT NASSAU COLLESIUM NEW YORK.

THIS IS THE 1ST TIME I HEARD ANYONE SAY WHAT I FELT ABOUT THE BAND "BUT" SOMETHING DEFINATLY CHANGED???

THEY ARE STILL GREAT!!

BUT I MUST SAY LONG LIVE OZZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MYNSX/MY355

Last edited:
Ski_Banker, are you around 35? That always seemed to be the GNR generation when I was growing up, the people about 3-5 years younger than me. Couldn't stand GNR then, now I actually enjoy a few of their songs but that's about it.

Rush is clearly the greatest band of all time :).

Maiden still kicks ass. I have always been into metal all my life.

I miss the good old days when I use to go to see Pantera or GNR. What ever happen to the good metal bands that there were back then.

Just released today (9/5/06) boys and girls.
A Matter Of Life And Death. On CD and a limited edition CD/DVD combo.
I've had it about a week and it is an incredible record. Now go purchase your copy immediately!

lifeanddeathcover.jpg

MYNSX said:
I ACTUALLY FELT THAT SAME THING TOO. SOMETHING DEFINATLY CHANGED AFTER THE PIECE OF MIND TOUR 1984 ....I WAS THERE AT NASSAU COLLESIUM NEW YORK.

THIS IS THE 1ST TIME I HEARD ANYONE SAY WHAT I FELT ABOUT THE BAND "BUT" SOMETHING DEFINATLY CHANGED???

THEY ARE STILL GREAT!!

BUT I MUST SAY LONG LIVE OZZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MYNSX/MY355

First of all.... STOP SHOUTING!

capslock.gif

The only period that I didn't particularly enjoy were the Blaze Bailey years when Bruce was out doing his solo career. However, Bruce made some great records and now that he's back, he can sing some of the great songs that Steve Harris wrote during those years. As long as I don't have to listen to Blaze I'm a happy camper. Bruce's voice is truly one of the greatest in rock. He's right up there with Daltrey, Bowie, Plant and a few others. Rock's greatest voice of all time still belongs to Freddie though.

I like classic rock, and as a guitar player for over 20 years, I think I have pretty good ears ............Rush ? I give props to Geddy for having the chops to play complicated bass and sing at the same time ( extremely hard ) but I can only listen to that voice of his for 3 songs tops...If you guys want to check out some cool stuff, check out a group called Air ( especially the album "Moon Safari"). It's electronica, but it doesn't have any harshness to it.

You guys were just a bunch of stoners :tongue:

hehe nah but i grew up with gnr, bon jovi, white snake, skid row, def lepard, motley crew, metallica, red hot chili peppers, and many others....you guys are giving me flashbacks :biggrin:

Mike-san said:
I like classic rock, and as a guitar player for over 20 years, I think I have pretty good ears ............Rush ? I give props to Geddy for having the chops to play complicated bass and sing at the same time ( extremely hard ) but I can only listen to that voice of his for 3 songs tops...If you guys want to check out some cool stuff, check out a group called Air ( especially the album "Moon Safari"). It's electronica, but it doesn't have any harshness to it.

I'm a drummer... Geddy's voice is the last thing I listen to :). In fact I typically ignore the vocals in most bands, I more in tune with the music itself. I would be fine with it if Rush were entirely instrumental.

nsxtasy said:
There is no doubt: Crosby Stills Nash and Young are the greatest rock and roll band. Case closed.

And you call me narrow-minded?! You are the epitome of narrow-mindedness! I happen to listen to much of the music you've been spouting about for the last few weeks. Yet, I'm not the one preaching on threads that have no bearing to what the topic is.

nsxtasy said:
How sad for your inability to realize the enjoyment that other people get from hearing the music they love. How sad for your narrow-mindedness in thinking that you have the only valid opinion when it comes to music.

:rolleyes: Such unbelievable hypocrisy. When, in fact, you feel your inferior opinion is superior.

nsxtasy said:
...and in person, they are FANTASTIC!!! (I am referring to CSN and CSNY. I love Steely Dan's recordings but found them disappointing in person.)

What a lamewad you are for even admitting you like Steely Dan.

nsxtasy said:
Bruce Dickinson? Never heard of him. Is he a solo act, or is he in a band?

Just goes to show what an ignoramus you truly are. Look at the title of the thread. And think before you speak. Don't just be confrontational for confrontation's sake (kind of like your heroes on stage). Your sanctimonious rendering of CSNY's setlist signals blind devotion to a band stuck in the early 70s anti-Vietnam mentality, gushing their lame anti-Establishment messages.

By the way, I saw a picture of them from their show this week and I have to tell you that their stage presence pales in comparison to even the roadies of Maiden.

As for "Let's Impeach the President"- they can call off their plea; the immoral scumbag who occuppied the oval office till '01 was, in fact, impeached.

Your vehement enthusiasm for mediocrity is duly noted. However, to put it cordially, you have a lot to learn.

robr said:
I'm a drummer... Geddy's voice is the last thing I listen to :). In fact I typically ignore the vocals in most bands, I more in tune with the music itself. I would be fine with it if Rush were entirely instrumental.

I think Geddy's voice was pretty cool back in the old days. It's been years since I've seen them, but they're one good package, and put on a damn good jam session live.

By the way, check out this guy; he's definitely in Neil's league. Rob Halford has said he's the best drummer in metal (which no doubt includes all of rock).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voyd-yz1HLs

MoreRPMs said:
I think Geddy's voice was pretty cool back in the old days. It's been years since I've seen them, but they're one good package, and put on a damn good jam session live.

By the way, check out this guy; he's definitely in Neil's league. Rob Halford has said he's the best drummer in metal (which no doubt includes all of rock).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voyd-yz1HLs

I saw your avatar and knew there was going to be a Priest related post coming :). That drummer definitely jams (the cymbals behind the head is sort of strange but it seems to work for him). I'm a big prog metal guy but haven't really checked out Iced Earth. I'll have to find some of the stuff he plays on. I dunno I'd say the guy is the best in all of metal (or rock), but one can't tell from that one video... I'll be checking him out.

I think Iced Earth is in some sort of limbo mode, kind of like Halford- all the guys have their own side projects. Seems like lots of drummers have multiple gigs going on at once and Bobby's no different.

As for Maiden, I got to hear a couple of tracks off the new one a few weeks back and I wasn't impressed. You always think that maybe they can pull off a surprise and reinvent something, but I guess that's asking for too much- not many bands have the ability to evolve like my beloved JP did from '74 to '90. All for naught though, because it seems they don't get anywhere near the credit that they're due. Gotta make music for the masses, and unfortunately (or fortunately) that's not what metal's about.

I hear ya. I was into Priest during my high school years (screaming for vengeance and defenders of the faith. turbo and seeing the turbo lover video on MTV a zillion times a day turned me off though).

after that i had so little interest that when i went to a meet and greet with halford in the early 90s (a "Fight" show), I had my picture taken and left right afterwards. i didn't even stick around to hear the band.

I later saw priest with tim owens and he was phenominal... to me he was as good as halford was in my high school years and i absolutely loved the show (sorry, im sure that's blasphemy in your book :)). I think it's great that Tim's basic story was turned into a movie, I loved "Rock Star" :).

robr said:
I hear ya. I was into Priest during my high school years (screaming for vengeance and defenders of the faith. turbo and seeing the turbo lover video on MTV a zillion times a day turned me off though).

Too commercial, for sure. It was a great tour, however.

robr said:
after that i had so little interest that when i went to a meet and greet with halford in the early 90s (a "Fight" show), I had my picture taken and left right afterwards. i didn't even stick around to hear the band.

I boycotted the Fight days out of loyalty to where Rob really belonged. In the end though, I feel I shortchanged myself out of some real intense music and shows. I did get to see him 3 times between '00 and '03, and luckily lots of Fight was played.

robr said:
I later saw priest with tim owens and he was phenominal... to me he was as good as halford was in my high school years and i absolutely loved the show (sorry, im sure that's blasphemy in your book :)).

Blasphemy is right. :biggrin: Although I did see them 4 times with Tim (hell, for 8 or 9 bucks a head how can you not go to Summerfest in Milwaukee, right?). Rob vs Tim can be a thread all by its lonesome; but, I'll say this: IMO there's no way, no how that Owens holds a candle to Halford in his prime. One's a metal god, the other's a wannabe who possesses only a small pecentage of what the original has to offer.

robr said:
I think it's great that Tim's basic story was turned into a movie, I loved "Rock Star" :).

Loosely based, from what I hear. IIRC, even Rob was consulted prior to filming; but both him and Tim greatly distanced themselves from the whole thing partly through the project.

robr said:
I'm listening to the new Maiden now.... so far I give it an OK rating but I'm only two songs in.

Can't stop listening to it. It gets better every time I hear it.

Not doing too bad on the charts either. Being in the top 10 in the US is pretty incredible for a band that gets virtually no airplay. :)

Up The Irons!

Rush is my all time fave, have seen them 8 times live and played YYZ perfect at my 8th grade talent show :) I gave up on the music thing due to drugs and the people and such but I can still play pretty good. Check out Children of Bodom, that stuff is very fun to play on the drums and a good workout ;) DW and zildjian still my fav gear as well. Played the Tama's for a while but DW took care of me :)

Ryanmcd2 said:
Rush is my all time fave, have seen them 8 times live and played YYZ perfect at my 8th grade talent show :) I gave up on the music thing due to drugs and the people and such but I can still play pretty good. Check out Children of Bodom, that stuff is very fun to play on the drums and a good workout ;) DW and zildjian still my fav gear as well. Played the Tama's for a while but DW took care of me :)

I'll have to check out Children of Bodom.... I was a Pearl/Zildjian player, then switched to electronics (Roland) for many years. I stopped playing after I was married, but recently broke out the Roland's again. My 20 month old has been having fun banging on a couple of floor toms and snare though and it makes me realize how much I really miss my acoustics. I may set those up again soon, but I'm finding there is simply no time to play at all. I get home from work around 5:30, eat dinner with the family, play with my kids, then it's time for the kids to go to bed and I can't play once they're in bed. The weekends there always seems to be so much crap to do. Now I understand when I was in bands before, why people with kids had so much difficulty with practices and gigs and working on material at home between practices. It's impossible.

Gotta say, after 3 or 4 listens I'm really digging the new Maiden. I find it more similar to Bruce's solo stuff which I think it superior to anything Maiden as a group has done since Piece of Mind. Good stuff!

Back