• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is Acura/Honda telling us the truth....

I have just test drove the 2002 model, and I cannot believe that it has the same power as my 1993 car! The new car feels miles quicker, much more responsive in all gears. Has anyone independently verified the bhp figures, as all Japanese manufacturers have a gentlemens agreement to limit bhp to 280?

Effective gearing is also lower due to the 6-spd vs 5-spd for the '93. Combined perceived difference from power and gearing is significant. The drive-by-wire may also play a significant role in perceived responsiveness if a given change in pedal position results in a larger change in actual throttle position than what you normally drive.

Good points made by all. That drive by wire thing is all cool but I work at a Ford dealership and lots of the vehicles are coming with that and when it works it's great. But when it breaks, $$$ and there is nothing you can do about it.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Originally posted by 92NSX:
Good points made by all. That drive by wire thing is all cool but I work at a Ford dealership and lots of the vehicles are coming with that and when it works it's great. But when it breaks, $$$ and there is nothing you can do about it.

This only happens to Fords
biggrin.gif

Even the new NSX-R officially has only 280HP. My current suspicion is that if someone would take the trouble to dyna the 2002 NSX it's power would be higher than the HP stated in the folder. And this goes especially for the Type R since that engine has a lot more work put into it.

I agree with MvM, the 2002 must have more bhp, otherwise how can there have been a rise in performace? Remember that no aerodynamic changes have been made.

Originally posted by sexnsx:
I agree with MvM, the 2002 must have more bhp, otherwise how can there have been a rise in performace? Remember that no aerodynamic changes have been made.

I thought there was some very minor improvements in aerodynamics for 2002, not like you would notice a blistering power increase as a result though
wink.gif

Does anyone actually think the new Type-R has 280ps? I doubht it, why would a 3.2L engine not make the 290HP of all other NSX's 97+. I think it is underrated, but maybe but only the 10 HP. I would like to see a dyno also.

ps is not exactly the same as hp. It's off by about 2 percent. I'm not sure but I think the 280 ps limitation for marketing in Japan is equivalent to about 275 hp.

AFAIK the engine and drivetrain in the '02 NSX is exactly the same as that of the '97-01 NSX. I don't know about the NSX-R which is not available in North America.

Originally posted by sexnsx:

The coefficient of drag was reduced from .32 to .30.

I thought about this too, Honda under estimating the horsepower of the 3.2L engine. I had a '94 before I got my '00 NSX-T and the '00 feels so much quicker and when I saw in various magazine tests that the 3.2 actually outperformed many other cars, like the Porsche 911 and Corvette, which has a 30-60 horsepower advantage and only weighs a bit more, I thought maybe the engine is putting out more like 310 horsepower at the crank. Well at least now I don't crave for as much power as I once did with my '94.

------------------
'00 NSX-T, silverstone/blk, #252

The '02 NSX-R engine is supposed to be blueprinted - so one would expect a few more hp out of it - but probably not very noticeable by the seat of the pants. The shorter gearing on the NSX-R is more likely to have a bigger impact.

Comparing dyno numbers of 91-96 cars with the 97-01 cars seem to support the 270 vs 290 hp numbers. Has anyone dyno'd a 02?

The old drag racing rule is 100 mph trap speed = 300 hp at the flywheel and every mile over that equals 10 hp. NSX's trap speed 105 to 108 relates to 350 to 380 hp.
This doesn't take into consideration the low drag of the NSX so maybe take off 10% this still leaves you with way over 300 hp. Jap cars with over 280 hp stated...supra, Q45, 3000 gt, rx7, z300, ect

Back