• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is Hyundai the new Honda?

Interesting article in the December, 2011 issue of Motor Trend, by Ron Kiino. Can't really argue with anything he writes, unfortunately.

Growing up in Southern California in the 1980s, I used to ride along with my parents, staring out the car window and trying to spot the coolest automobiles the world had to offer. All the best wheels came to SoCal, from Ferrari 328s and Porsche Turbos to Lotus Esprits and BMW M1s. The cars that really grabbed me, though, were the ones I believed I could purchase by the time I had a license: the Toyota Corolla GTS, Volkswagen GTI, and Honda CRX and Prelude.
I wanted Hondas the most, because, as I read in such magazines as Motor Trend, they offered the best blend of technology, reliability, and affordability. The CRX Si won MT's 1988 Import Car of the Year with its mix of 16-valve aluminum engine, four-wheel independent suspension, and $10,195 price tag. "The most exhilarating ride you'll find this side of a formula racer," MT wrote. The '88 ICOY runner-up, the Prelude Si 4WS, the first production car to offer four-wheel steering, was another Honda I coveted. Honda was a pioneer, and every car enthusiast knew it.
Every car enthusiast also knew that Hyundai, which released its first U.S.-market car, the Excel, for 1988, was the opposite of a pioneer -- a follower. The perception of many was that Hyundai was a Honda copycat: "Hyundai" looked and sounded somewhat similar to "Honda," and it, too, used an H badge. Hondas were high-quality and fun to drive, and Hyundais were, um, not.
In the 1990s and into the 2000s, Honda remained a forerunner. It introduced titanium connecting rods and VTEC variable valve timing in the Acura NSX. The Integra Type-R, the poor man's NSX, offered a handbuilt I-4 with 108 hp per liter, unheard of for the day. And the Legend was the first near-luxury car to alert Europe that Japan was serious about upscale autos. As H-badged Hondas, Civics, Accords, and Preludes got VTEC, the Insight introduced Americans to the hybrid, and the S2000 afforded speed junkies the feeling of a MotoGP bike in a car.
Since then, Hyundai, somewhat under the radar, has steadily improved the quality of its growing lineup, building cars that are as reliable and often rewarding as they are affordable. Over the last few years, specifically, while Honda has lifted off the trailblazing throttle, Hyundai has put its pioneering foot to the floor. For instance, Honda currently tops out at a six-speed automatic. Hyundai? Eight. Honda offers not one car with a direct-injected engine. Hyundai? Seven (and counting). The most luxurious Honda, the Acura RL, pales next to the amenities and power of Hyundai's Genesis and Equus. Hyundai satisfies rear-drive sports-car fiends with the Genesis Coupe. Honda? Not so much. Honda's tiny CR-Z Hybrid (34 mpg combined) barely surpasses the fuel economy of the comparably sized Veloster (32), which is devoid of any hybrid wizardry. What the Veloster isn't devoid of, however, is a dual-clutch transmission, that sporty tech piece adopted by Audi, BMW, Ferrari, and Porsche. And now Hyundai. But not Honda.
Hyundai still has a ways to go, especially in terms of chassis dynamics, but the perception and reality of the brand have changed. When looking to the future, I wouldn't be surprised to see an H badge leading the way -- just not the one I adored as a kid.

Interesting article in the December, 2011 issue of Motor Trend, by Ron Kiino. Can't really argue with anything he writes, unfortunately.

I read that same article and thought he was correct. Then I went to the LA Auto Show....saw the Hyundai display and saw the Honda display and knew he was correct............

I read the article as well. It is correct that nothing has come from Honda lately worth getting excited about.
Hyundai hires German designers, and Japanese engineers. They do copy others. They do not innovate all that much. They also offer up to 84 months of 0% financing to attract people to their products. You don't see Honda quite that desperate. (but close)
I was at a car show last spring and noticed the mileage rating on the CRZ. The Ford Fiesta gets better mileage, for a lot less money. If you want, you can equip a Ford Fiesta better than a CRZ as well.
While there may be nothing too exciting about today's Honda lineup, they still sell a lot of cars and seldom discount the price. The demand may not be as strong, but others wish they sold as many cars as Honda does.

no matter how many Genisis versions they come out with I will never be seen in one.

Agree with the article. I must say though... the layout, ergonomics, and overall interior quality of the Genesis Coupe is absolutely horrible. I think I pinched a nerve in my hand trying to operate the cock-eyed window switches on the door. I have no idea why they are getting such high praise for their interior. It's awful even compared to a CR-V which is our backup car.

I totally agree with the article. As a child of the 80s, I totally lusted after the CRX, Prelude, and later, the Integra. Now, Honda is competing with Toyota for boringness and is even winning thanks to Toyota making cars like the FR-S and LF-A.

I think there must be a long lag time between when a car company's products become staid and boring and when the public figures that out. There is also a long lag time between when the public starts thinking your cars are boring and when senior management realizes they have a problem. Combined, that seems to be about ten years. To me, the problem started when the EP3 Civic Si and RSX came out. Both were much more boring than the previous generations. It went downhill from there with the S2000 kinda drawing out the decline.

I totally agree with the article. As a child of the 80s, I totally lusted after the CRX, Prelude, and later, the Integra. Now, Honda is competing with Toyota for boringness and is even winning thanks to Toyota making cars like the FR-S and LF-A.

I think there must be a long lag time between when a car company's products become staid and boring and when the public figures that out. There is also a long lag time between when the public starts thinking your cars are boring and when senior management realizes they have a problem. Combined, that seems to be about ten years. To me, the problem started when the EP3 Civic Si and RSX came out. Both were much more boring than the previous generations. It went downhill from there with the S2000 kinda drawing out the decline.
I thought about this recently also. A lot of it is timing too. The S2000 would have been a natural FR-S competitor (lest some tweaks) if it came out this year. Now Honda is trying to jump on the Hybrid bandwagon but they're sort of doing it half-ass likely due to investments in hydrogen. I truly do wish their fuel cell technology would take off though. Now the diesel market is heating up. Who would have thought diesels would be considered green for Christ's sake? Now even the hippies want a TDi.

I consider myself a Honda guy, but I recently went with the new Elentra over anything on the Honda lot for our new commuter car...Much better looking then the civic, great interior, sat, bluetooth, 100K warranty, guarantee trade in value and 40 mpg hwy(currently getting about 34 mpg combined) and can fill it up for $40!!! (at Cali gas prices @ $3.70 gal) all for under $20K and got 1.99% finance...

Have had it for about 2 months now and love it...Rides as smooth as my is250 and has enough pep to pass....

Hyundai can't keep the new Elentra's on the lot...They had 3 come in the day mine did and they were all gone that day...

I consider myself a Honda guy, but I recently went with the new Elentra over anything on the Honda lot for our new commuter car...Much better looking then the civic, great interior, sat, bluetooth, 100K warranty, guarantee trade in value and 40 mpg hwy(currently getting about 34 mpg combined) and can fill it up for $40!!! (at Cali gas prices @ $3.70 gal) all for under $20K and got 1.99% finance...

Wow! That sounds hard to beat for a commuter car...............

I read the article as well. It is correct that nothing has come from Honda lately worth getting excited about.
Hyundai hires German designers, and Japanese engineers. They do copy others. They do not innovate all that much. They also offer up to 84 months of 0% financing to attract people to their products. You don't see Honda quite that desperate. (but close)
I was at a car show last spring and noticed the mileage rating on the CRZ. The Ford Fiesta gets better mileage, for a lot less money. If you want, you can equip a Ford Fiesta better than a CRZ as well.
While there may be nothing too exciting about today's Honda lineup, they still sell a lot of cars and seldom discount the price. The demand may not be as strong, but others wish they sold as many cars as Honda does.

I disagree with this. This is what caused GM to fail, the lack of decent products. Just because you think Honda is not that desperate yet (history), the future is bleak (reality).

It is troubling when so many of us Honda diehards are buying Hyundais, and not Hondas.

At one time I owned 3 Honda vehicles all as my drivers!! Today I only have my NSX. A very sad development.

I am a Diehard Honda fan and my last two car purchases have been Hyundais!

I agree with the writer!

We have also own nothing but Hondas in the past 20 years. 90, 92,95, 98, 03 Accord, 04TL, 06 MDX. But recently we decide to pick up a 2012 Kia optima to replace 335i. There is nothing look good in Honda or Acura line up.

Can anybody that is a bit older than myself comment on the general perception of Honda in 1985?

Did people say things like "I'd never be seen in a Honda" the way people do now about Hyundai?

I'm just curious if Honda had to fight and win over a similar stigma back then.

Back then I had no problem being seen in a Honda since American cars at that time were junk and German cars are still relatively expensive for the common people. Back then some people hate Japanese cars for different reasons, not image reason. These days, people hate huyndai for image reason, IMO.
I was rocking in a datsun 510 in 1985. ;)

Can anybody that is a bit older than myself comment on the general perception of Honda in 1985?

Did people say things like "I'd never be seen in a Honda" the way people do now about Hyundai?

I'm just curious if Honda had to fight and win over a similar stigma back then.

accurate article and echos feelings I have had of late. I generally encourage people to consider Hyundais as I did when looking for our last vehicle purchase. They build a fine vehicle and most importantly, they have that fire in their belly pushing them forward to prove themselves.

These days, people hate huyndai for image reason, IMO

no matter how many Genisis versions they come out with I will never be seen in one.

I don't know where you guys live, but Hyundai's image here is one of quality cars that offer a great value. All ANYONE talks of is how good Hyundai's are. I think if you have an issue with Hyundai's "image", its more in your own head than reality. Here they have more of an early Lexus or Acura image. Where you are "smart" for having bought one. Kia is gaining even faster because of their gorgeous cars.

I already said it... It's more than Hyundai is the new Honda. Korea is the new Japan. Samsung is the new Sony. Hyundai is the new Honda. And since Apple is the new electronics giant and China the new chip maker... lets just say I wouldn't be investing in the yen.

Last edited:
Really guys? Am I the only one that thinks the interior and overall vehicle dynamics of a Hyundai (Genesis Coupe in my case) sucks? People talk about Nissan/Infinity having a cheap interior. I think Hyundai takes that to a new level. I'm not hating on the car at all. I'm still considering one because of the great value. I'm just not sure if you folks who love and bought the car bought it knowing they still fall short in certain areas.

On paper they are great vehicles, no argument.

Really guys? Am I the only one that thinks the interior and overall vehicle dynamics of a Hyundai (Genesis Coupe in my case) sucks? People talk about Nissan/Infinity having a cheap interior. I think Hyundai takes that to a new level. I'm not hating on the car at all. I'm still considering one because of the great value. I'm just not sure if you folks who love and bought the car bought it knowing they still fall short in certain areas.

Huh???

Have you been in a Hyundai lately? Compare that to a Honda or Toyota?? :confused:

I was at the recent car show...the Honda and Toyota interiors look like crap compared to Hyundai.

Fall short? Sure it's gonna fall short in some areas, but as a package the Hyundai and Kia vehicles are far better. Why do you think so many of us Honda diehards are buying them?

Honda needs to step up its game, without question.

Last edited:

They are only perhaps 5 years away from superceding the Japanese in vehicle dynamics. They are moving at a much more rapid rate and will catch up. Are they still behind Toyota and Honda? Yes. But not by that much. And they are already ahead in design and value. The Genesis coupe replacement will be a big step ahead again and Honda seems to be going backwards in some areas (like the civic). Their designs are getting UGLIER. I'm being generous saying 5 years... and they will have surpassed them in every category. I bet the supercar rumors are even true... they are working on something.

I don't know Korea's secret. I don't know how this country has emerged like it has... but obviously there is some business leadership that has their shit together.

Huh???

Have you been in a Hyundai lately? Compare that to a Honda or Toyota?? :confused:

I was at the recent car show...the Honda and Toyota interiors look like crap compared to Hyundai.

Fall short? Sure it's gonna fall short in some areas, but as a package the Hyundai and Kia vehicles are far better. Why do you think so many of us Honda diehards are buying them?

Honda needs to step up its game, without question.
I know... Yes, I was at the most recent LA Car show and I was shocked at how crappy the interior was in the G-Coupe. Admittedly I was not in the market for the other models so I did not inspect them. Perhaps the other models were better but the G-Coupe was horrible. I was especially annoyed with the window switch placement on the door. The plastics were horrible too.

I'm not expecting BMW quality but the fit and finish of a Honda Fit/Accord was much much better albeit the quality of the materials weren't too much better either.

Yes, I stand by the fact that the interior on the G-Coupe is awful.

They are only perhaps 5 years away from superceding the Japanese in vehicle dynamics. They are moving at a much more rapid rate and will catch up. Are they still behind Toyota and Honda? Yes. But not by that much. And they are already ahead in design and value. The Genesis coupe replacement will be a big step ahead again and Honda seems to be going backwards in some areas (like the civic). Their designs are getting UGLIER. I'm being generous saying 5 years... and they will have surpassed them in every category. I bet the supercar rumors are even true... they are working on something.

I don't know Korea's secret. I don't know how this country has emerged like it has... but obviously there is some business leadership that has their shit together.
Part of the secret is a big pocket book via gov't subsidies. I guess the US isn't much different with the Big 3 but at least the Koreans knows how to make a return on their Won as opposed to all ours goes to the unions/pensions...ok.. i digress.

Yes, I agree.. at the current rate of improvement 5yrs is not a bad guess. It'll go faster if Honda continues to slide into the abyss. Toyota got their act together quick with the BRZ. Perhaps that's the answer... partner with Subaru and have them design your next fun-to-drive RWD sports car! lol

Back