• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

is it illegal??

Thought I ask my fellow NSX member. After installing a set of blue angel lights & 8000k headlight on my BMW, a friend of my told me that It is illegal to install blue colour lights on the front of the car in Ontario. Can anyone verify that for me. I have look all over the Ontario traffic act and can't find anything that says no blue. Many Thank!!!!!

Peter

Are they marked DOT approved? If they aren't they are likely not approved for street use. :)

Are they marked DOT approved? If they aren't they are likely not approved for street use. :)

Precisely.

However if you have them pointed down enough, a lot of cops won't even bother you with it. But do expect to get nailed double if you get a ticket and he's not in a good mood.

After installing a set of blue angel lights & 8000k headlight on my BMW, a friend of my told me that It is illegal to install blue colour lights on the front of the car in Ontario.

There are warnings out there that any blue light is only to be used by snow removal vehicles only. (Can't find it ... but it is regularly reported on numerous forums for people getting tickets for installing blue lights where the washer fluid spray jets are on older vehicles, for example) Also, using turn bulbs that light up blue is also a no-no.

I'm sure people who drive an NSX will not get the same issues as someone driving a riced-up Civic, but if you're driving like a maniac on the road and have these 'mods' (whether it be a BMW, Lexus, NSX, etc, etc)... I'm sure the officer will write you up for as many things s/he can throw at you.

Not sure why you'd want to use blue bulbs to begin with, but to each their own.

I read that somewhere too actually, but my friends have gotten by cops and they never really did anything...again it follows that if your lights are pointed high, the cop will get you, if they're down enough, they usually don't bother with it.

If you're driving wrecklacely, again, they will get you double...otherwise don't worry.

And, i believe there's also the law, that if the car isn't meant for it, then it is illegal to put them on..blue or not. But it's less enforced as well. I'm thinking of putting Crystal Showoffs on my Acura EL.

Since i don't drive it wrecklacely and neither does my dad, if i point them down enough, i know i won't be bothered.

3 reasons.

1. Down at the road, not harming anyone.
2. Driving properly, with 99% of the time, my DAD driving. Not wrecklace.
3. Acura.

My friend is a cop, and he was telling me that because of the A badge, cops really just assume luxury, therefore xenon/HID. If i put them on my Civic...cops would give me more of a headache..but my civic is stock so i usually get by unseen.

I've already gotten warnings from the Police regarding.... no lights or bulbs should be any other colour. I also asked an OPP Officer, he said if he can see any other colour than specified, such as bulbs that are painted blue, purple or any other colour its a ticket... so at the end its the Officer's Discresion, Ont gives the cops too much power to be your judge and executioner all at the same time, same goes for Exhausts being too loud...

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#s62s11

Identification lamps

(11) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every commercial motor vehicle or combination of a commercial motor vehicle and a trailer having a length in excess of 9.2 metres or a width in excess of 2.05 metres shall carry three lighted lamps displaying green or amber lights at the front, except in the case of a public vehicle which shall display amber lights at the front, and three lighted lamps displaying red lights at the rear, and the lights of each colour shall be evenly placed not less than 150 millimetres nor more than 310 millimetres apart along a horizontal line as near the top of the commercial motor vehicle or combination of a commercial motor vehicle and a trailer as the permanent structure permits, and shall be visible for distances of 150 metres from the front and rear respectively of the commercial motor vehicle or combination of a commercial motor vehicle and a trailer. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (11).

Red and blue lights to the front restricted

(14.1) In addition to the lighting requirements in this Part, a police department vehicle may carry lamps that cast red and blue lights, but no other motor vehicle shall carry any lamp that casts red and blue lights to the front. 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (2).

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it Peter.

Blue lights on a Civic is a heatscore.

Blue lights, especially angel eyes, on a late model M5? For all they know its oem. They'd probably don't care.

Also consider if youre not running a front plate, or have other ticketable things, that you may get pulled over because of the lights and tickets for everything else at the same time.

I dont like getting puled over myself.

Other things they used to justify with blue is blue is reserved for emergency vehicles (cop cars) and are never to be used on civilian vehicles for such reason. If you had blue (that aren't flashing etc.) you may somehow get confused and crash thinking there was a cop behind you < /sarcasm>.

All of you guys talking about blue lights, emergency vehicles, etc., are getting confused by what the first post is stating. 8000K produces such an intense light that it crosses over from the white spectrum and into the blue. This is NOT to be confused with a 'blue' like the ones K-Mart shoppers enjoy..... :)

Back